Sign in to follow this  
Peter_B

What to do about Mad Bull rear wheels coming loose?

First bash of the year for my boys today with their Lunchbox and Mad Bull.

When putting the Mad Bull away I noticed one of the rear wheels was loose. I haven't checked if it has stripped the hex splines yet.

Same thing happened last summer and I read that a fix was some new wheel nuts. So I got some. It's not had much use since and it's worked loose already.

Why is this seemingly common on the Mad Bull and not other cars?

What's the fix? Loctite on the wheel nuts?

Got to say, I am once again amazed at the punishment a Mad Bull can take. You name it, it has hit it and no damage.

I'd try some non Tamiya 4mm nyloc flange nuts.

They're like normal wheel nuts, but with a flange on the back like Tamiya 3mm flange nuts, and the flange stops the nut coming loose.

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

I'd try some non Tamiya 4mm nyloc flange nuts.

They're like normal wheel nuts, but with a flange on the back like Tamiya 3mm flange nuts, and the flange stops the nut coming loose.

Do you mean ones with a serrated flange?

The ones on the car are non Tamiya nyloc flange (non serrated)

2 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Do you mean ones with a serrated flange?

Yep, you want the serrated flange and the nyloc in one nut eg (just using this sellers item as an example, never used the seller themselves):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-4mm-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-FLANGED-SERRATED-NYLON-INSERT-NYLOC-NUTS-FLANGE/121633744950?hash=item1c51efa836:m:mIum86_3P_6k8gK_gzzgOIQ

19 hours ago, Peter_B said:

If you are using a brand like 3racing, I find the nyloc in the Tamiya ones of better quality than hong kong ones. I had an issue where I bought some black coloured nyloc wheel nuts from 3/yeah racing and the nyloc was that soft they kept undoing themselves because I decided to save a couple of bucks over the Tamiya ones. I ended up buying the Tamiya ones in the end. Just be aware, they are not all the same.

Serated flange is the best type of wheel nut. Looks a bit weird on some wheels but I struggle to get them off sometimes they hold that well. 

Blue Loctite will fix the issue. I use it on all my runners regardless of brand.