tamiya monkey

Tamiya Junkies Meets in South Yorkshire

Hi all, been awhile since ive been on here, Formally Clumbermeets, then with the IconicRc lads. Ive been arranging track meets around south yorkshire since late last year, just relaxed meets, nothing serious just good fun, running modern (largest would be short course) and my favourite vintage buggies.

We have a growing community on our Facebook group, Tamiya Junkies, so feel free to head over and join and maybe come along to a meet or two.

Our normal haunt is a monthly meet at Robin Hood Raceway at Blyth, we've also had a meet at A1 racing and presently looking further away.

• Like 1

Would be interested if you ever organise an on-road meet. Keep us posted!

I have a full size Astro pitch, a three court hard area, basketball court and many many acres of grass avalible in Grimsby if someone wanted to organise a meet. Most would be empty for most of the summer so could be booked for a very small amount.

Not a great location for access I grant you but thought I would mention it.

• Like 2

Our latest meet at Robin Hood Raceway, Blyth, South Yorkshire

Find more details and photo's on our facebook page, Tamiya Junkies.

I've never been to Robin Hood before - is the option to dive inside always open if the weather turns sour?  I remember cancelling the journey to some Iconic bashes a few years back when pretty much every bash got heavy rain.

I'm hoping to come along to your next meet but it's over 4 hours drive for me, it's not so much the travel time as the fuel cost that puts the brakes on me doing these more often.  I really miss the Iconic bashes so having something like this on the calendar is awesome, even if I have to save for two months to pay the fuel bill :D

19 hours ago, tamiya monkey said:

Hi Mad Ax, yes the indoor track is always open, we run both in and out depending on the weather.

Fingers crossed for good weather on the 22nd. Really want run outside again.

Gents, you are soooooo lucky to have both race tracks and others to bash with........

In N.Ireland I have searched and ther is only 2 tracks I can find, one is for 1/8 nitro off road and the other is for really up to date on road. Neither would entertain me even turning up to have a little play when the track was not in use.

So its BMX tracks for me and the kids, dodging bikes and kids and dogs.

3 hours ago, Baddon said:

Gents, you are soooooo lucky to have both race tracks and others to bash with........

In N.Ireland I have searched and ther is only 2 tracks I can find, one is for 1/8 nitro off road and the other is for really up to date on road. Neither would entertain me even turning up to have a little play when the track was not in use.

So its BMX tracks for me and the kids, dodging bikes and kids and dogs.

You just need a 6 year old boy to ask if he can play on the track. When they say yes. You pull out the biggest monster truck you have. All the racers seem to need a pit stop when that happens and you get the whole track to yourself. :):) 

Hi everyone, this year has been epic, monthly meets and lots of fun. Looking forward to another year of the same, hope to get more members along to meets with there new and vintage rc's. So join us on our FB page and come along.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you Junkies out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all not posted on here for a while, but the meets are still going strong and member numbers have been increasing. Come over to our facebook page and take a look at what we've been getting upto.

• Like 3

I really, really loved the meet I popped up to earlier this year, but a change in personal circumstances means the cash for a round-trip to RHR just isn't there.  A crying shame as this is exactly the type of running I love the most - no rules, no limits, just turn up and have fun.  And nobody down this way is doing this kind of thing any more.

I'm on the fence now as to whether I re-join a local racing club for some clubman-class fun or try to find a local-ish circuit who will be open to running this kind of bash locally.

I know it was previously mentioned in this thread that there are no rules at the Iconic meats, however I guess it would be dangerous, both for our vehicles and everybody else's, if we were significantly slower than the rest of the field, so could you perhaps give an indication of what sort of motors people generally run in their buggies?

On 6/29/2019 at 6:42 AM, TurnipJF said:

I know it was previously mentioned in this thread that there are no rules at the Iconic meats, however I guess it would be dangerous, both for our vehicles and everybody else's, if we were significantly slower than the rest of the field, so could you perhaps give an indication of what sort of motors people generally run in their buggies?

These days aren't racing at all. Just travk running with anything and everything. We have had everything from my TRF211 to an original Cheetah sprnding time on the travk. It's super relaxed. If you have something you would rather not be knocked about, just tell Mark and we will give you a few minutes on your own. We have all day. No problem

Sounds great! Hope to have my Thundershot restomodded in time for the September one!

• Like 1

Yeh we are not racing just having fun, if someone get a scorcher out say, then others normally do too, we work it between ourselves in a very relaxed way.

Could someone please post the details of the September RHR meet here for the benefit of those of us not on Farcebook?

Cost and start time would be most useful, along with any other data considered relevant. 

Oh, and do we need to book before the time or just turn up on the day?

Thanks!

Starts 9am and runs all day. No need to book, just turn up. It's £7 payable to Mark and you need a BRCA licence to run. No way around this, it's for the insurance. 

Another quick query: does the venue have chairs, tables and/or food available, or are we best off bringing our own?