tamiya monkey

Tamiya Junkies Meets in South Yorkshire

Hi all, just checking in as i really need to start using TC again, we at Tamiya Junkies are still going strong and meet once a month normally at Robin Hood Raceway at Blyth, we have a facebook group too you can join and see what we get upto and i will start to post more on here too. So get intouch and come along.

Wondering if anyone from the Holmfirth area attends these events, and if so, anyone willing to car share?

I'm hoping to come along to this in March, is it all day informal driving around the track?

I'm planning to bring 3 or 4 cars, 3 batteries, a charger and some spares and tools does that sound about right? 

I still need to sort a BRCA license too.

• Like 1

Yes, that sounds about right.
There are tables provided but these are in short supply at the busier meetings so if you have one it might be a good idea to bring it. Also an extension lead as you might not be able to get set up near a socket.
It’s very much an informal track day, I usually take 4 cars, with a mix of 2wd and 4wd buggys plus something daft like a clod to get in everyone else’s way.

• Like 2

Well our meet went really well yesterday, lots buggies on show and a great day was had by all. Come over and see us on our facebook page Tamiya Junkies for news and details of upcoming meets.

Sorry for the short notice but the next Tamiya Junkies meeting is Sunday 20th August at Robin Hood Raceway.

Blitzer Beetle

• Like 1

Really hoping I can come along to this one.  Keeping some funds aside and got the exit pass sorted, just need to keep the money in the bank :) 

• Like 2

I’m 180 miles away, makes it a bit too far just to run my daughters Lunchbox 😂

Way BITD I did go to a TC meeting @ Snetterton and another in a beautiful park in Leicester? 

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’m 180 miles away, makes it a bit too far just to run my daughters Lunchbox 😂

Way BITD I did go to a TC meeting @ Snetterton and another in a beautiful park in Leicester? 

Possibly Clumber or Kidderminster?  I missed the TC Snetterton events, I think they were before my time, but I did go to the last ever Iconic RC bash meet there, shortly before Iconic turned into a racing only enterprise and the Snetterton track closed.

I missed the Clumber and Kidd meets too - they were happening just as I joined TC but I didn't have the funds, the collection, or the confidence to travel that far back then, and by the time I did, they'd stopped happening.

It's a 400 mile round trip for me, which at <25mpg on super unleaded makes it quite an expensive weekend, and with that much driving and fuel expenses a cheap hotel with breakfast included barely dents the bank balance.  To make it worthwhile I've shortlisted 20 runners to take with me - probably won't actually take that many since I'll never get to run them all, but it'll be nice to run all the stuff that's been boxed since last time I went back in 2021 :) 

• Like 1

@Mad Ax, it might have been Clumber, the only 2 TC meets I’ve been to were in 2014 🤦

Just remember at both meets, great weather, lovely peps, lots of fun 😎

Did some RC running with some other RC buddies 2/3 times the following year more locally, but then struggled to fit it in with all of the other duties/requirements 😭

I measure my personal time and financial position by the amount of time I spend each year on the hobby and how many models I have - using this as a yard stick I am very, very time poor and marginally better off financially 😂  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

@Mad Ax, it might have been Clumber, the only 2 TC meets I’ve been to were in 2014 🤦

If memory serves, the big Clumber and Kidderminster meets stopped around 2006, 2007.  It might have been something to do with the park owners or insurance liability or something.

Around 2014, 2015, Iconic RC started doing bash meets at various tracks - I know they did some at Broxtowe, which is an outdoor tarmac and astro club in a park near Nottingham.  They may have used other tracks in the midlands too, they also did some at Snetterton and I think one at a sports college in Hampshire (which I missed due to an infuriating lack of politeness on someone else's behalf).  I've just checked my photo history and looks like I was at Broxtowe for Iconic bash meets in 2016 and 2017, which would have been the last bashes they did (it went to full racing after that).

• Thanks 1

@Mad Ax, I honestly can’t remember if it was Clumber.

It was almost definitely 2014 though, I’m sure it was in the grounds of a Stately home, beautiful grounds, possibly organised by John Weston who is to me a RC TC legend.

Distance from Surrey at a guesstimate 120 -140 miles, the chances of my driving further for a few hours out in the sunshine are highly unlikely. 

Makes Leicester or Nottingham both possibilities. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Whens the next one?

Next one is 14th October, then another on 18th Nov.  Not sure if there's a December one yet (I think it depends on interest).

Really need to get back into posting on here, this is where everything used to happen and still love visiting the site. Will do better, like stated our next meet at the awesome robin hood raceway is this coming saturday, anyone is welcome, just need BRCA and something 1/10th electric.

Regards

Mark

• Like 1

We're doing another one! Squeezing a meet in between Christmas and New Year. Friday 29th December 2023 at Robin Hood Raceway. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gmqo3BgW8ghWhGee9

Usual fun day running anything electric and 1/10th scale, indoor and outdoor running. No racing, just run your cars on some great tracks. Tea and coffee provided, just bring a cup. We have tables, chairs and electric for charging and a great atmosphere running anything from vintage buggies to modern 1/10th scale buggies, trucks and rally cars.
£9 for the day with electric
£8 if you don't require electric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't make that one but I'm dead keen to come along to one of these some day. They sound loads of fun. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Can't make that one but I'm dead keen to come along to one of these some day. They sound loads of fun. 

They are!

• Like 2