Sign in to follow this  
lucasan

RC Screwz

I have built 3 kits with RC Screwz stainless screw sets. Each time there has been an issue with the set. Either they don't have the exact screws to match the Tamiya kit screws or they have stripped. I just completed a swap of the stock transmission cases for the silver ones on the Porsche Jagermeister. A totally unnecessary thing to do, but I like the looks so I went for it. After assembling both the front and rear transmission cases and putting them back on the car, I realized I had forgotten to put a crucial part back in the rear, and so had to open it up. 2 of the 3 screws stripped immediately. I actually had to slot 4 screws just to remove the old ones in the 1st place, which essentially ruins the plastic part. I used a tapping screw for every single hole and still this happens. Needless to say, I am DONE with using their sets. Anyone else have these issues I've mentioned?

In my CR01 build the RC Screwz kit did not include the special flat head screws used in the planetary gear assembly, but that's ok -- it's internal to the gear casing itself.  What did bother me, though is that they did not provide M3x22 screws, and there were quite a few in the assembly.  I had to use M3x24 instead, which meant a little more thread stuck out past the end of the nylon locking nuts than I would have liked.  Kind of a minor cosmetic issue, but they had had all the other screws needed in the kit.

I've also used RC Screwz kits on OFNA JL10e touring cars, and they did not include replacement diff adjustment screws.  That's ok, though, because once again these are unique and internal the assembly.  The rest of the fasteners were just fine for the whole chassis.

What part of the screws are stripping for you?  The threads or the heads?  Stainless is a little softer than regular steel, so if you're not using a quality tool then it is easy to round out the head.  Also, when threading softer fasteners into new/fresh holes, it wouldn't hurt to run a thread-forming tap or regular steel screw in the hole first, then lightly coat the threads on the stainless screw with ball diff grease.  I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a perfect fit between the head of the fastener and the tool tip, though.

I've only used RC Screwz a few times; generally just buying packets of black oxide hex head fasteners works well enough for me.

I've used their screw sets a couple of times for Kyosho models, but never Tamiya. The Kyosho kits tend to be almost, but not quite, complete, or not quite right - a cuple of fasteners missing, too many panheads of one size and not quite enough flatheads, that sort of thing.

But I never had a problem with them rounding out the heads. You're not using the little L-shaped hex wrenches, are you? Those are fine for unimportant tasks (IKEA furniture, maybe) but not good enough for RC cars. A really good set of hex drivers makes all the difference.

thanks for the info guys as i was about to order a set for my original top-force but i will def give them a miss