Sign in to follow this  
TurboTimmy

Anyone Ever Heard Of A Black Magic 540?

This was the motor I put in my old Hornet years ago. I remember it running pretty well-but now I cannot remember what company made this motor or how it stacks up against a Sport Tuned 540, for example. I think it might have been made by Associated, but I can't be sure. Can anyone I.D. this motor? Thanks for any info.

108.JPG

Associated's motors would be branded Reedy afaik.

Could be just made up by local shop etc. You can order Mabuchi motors by the tray in many different specifications, made for different voltages & RPMs etc... they could've just bought some "that felt faster" :) and stuck a label on.

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Associated's motors would be branded Reedy afaik.

Could be just made up by local shop etc. You can order Mabuchi motors by the tray in many different specifications, made for different voltages & RPMs etc... they could've just bought some "that felt faster" :) and stuck a label on.

I would expect that if it was a Team Associated motor that you had, it would have Team Associated written on it somewhere... It somewhat ironic that its called a "Black Magic" motor, but its actually silver in colour.. It looks just like a regular 540 "Silver Can" to me, so it could be like Willy has suggested, and be a slightly hotter motor (eg 20 turn) and a model shop put a sticker put on it..

Team Associated did have their own range of motors that they sold as spare parts, and also came with some of their kits like the RC10 and RC10 DS.. (see pics below)

They also teamed up with Mike Reedy at some point, and developed a partnership using Reedy Motors as Willy said..

Reedy.png

vintage-team-associated-6500-off-road-stock-motor-edinger-rc10-1-10-yokomo.jpg

I just had a look on Google, and I came across these 2 pics... They came from a thread on RC Tech, where the owner was asking for more information on them, but nothing useful was given..
https://www.rctech.net/forum/rc-boating/746278-black-magic-motors.html

Edit:- More here.. https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/265613-black-magic-motors.html

Image%202.jpg

Image.jpg

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen-I do not remember where I got this motor, but I suspect it was probably a slightly hotter set up than a stock Mabuchi 540. Somehow I "associated" it (excuse the pun) with an RC10 motor.....As to its performance, I do remember it being a slight upgrade, but nothing too extreme. But it's been almost 30 years.......I had it in my Hornet, and it made it a little faster, but I don't remember it being as hot as a Sport Tuned motor. As WillyChang and Backlash suggested, it likely was a hobby shop that sold these from a magazine ad with a "Black Magic" sticker on it (pre-online shopping!!!!)....It still runs-so perhaps it will go in the next project......Of course, the proper electrical leads will have to be correctly soldered on to it. Take care.

Your motor has a metal endbell... the 1980s Mabuchis were usually plastic endbell either black then white. Metal came in end of the 80s afaik.

There was a huge industry back then supplying go-faster RC bits in the 80s. Hardcore 540 racers could buy a palette of motors & dyno every one to find the best performers. Motor tuners each had their own black art of maximising performance... polishing, zapping, balancing. Or you could downright cheat by modding your motor... cranking the comm, trying to race a 20T motor in a genetic can etc etc

Peek thru the side vents to check what condition the brushes are in, then google "water dipping" ... you'd be surprised how well old motors can be revived with a jar of water, no need to pry open the can.

About a week or so ago I took the Black Magic motor and ran it underwater with a C battery until the battery went dead-I figure about 30 to 40 minutes, I think. A lot of sand, dirt,and other crap came out of it. Then I let it dry. Today I put it in my new Grasshopper to see what it would do on a paved surface.......WOW. This was a hot little motor!! I figure it is about the same turn-wise as a Sport Tuned 540. I had to be careful where I pointed the buggy-but it screamed down the parking lot......Now I need to put on two new leads and find a suitable home for it.

Here it is next to my Torque Tuned 540.

004.JPG

• Like 1