So recently I started thinking about options for new wheels and tires for my Konghead.  After a bit of time looking online for options and/or inspiration, I started looking at tires from different models that I had, when I came across the TA02T/CC01 tires.  Granted they’re a bit smaller in diameter when compared to the ATUs that come with the kit, but not unusable.  But for this to be a real American Semi, the rear axles would need dually wheels.  So with the help of 2 sets of vintage Parma #12868 Front – Dual Wheel Adaptors, the dually rear wheels came to be.  So I did a bit of test fitting with different wheels with different offsets, and different thickness of Aluminum Clamp Type Hex Hub Adapters and Wheel Spacers I placed a few orders for the necessary parts.  I finally got everything in a couple days ago, and was able to get the Mesh Wheel Inserts painted TS-19 Metallic Blue to match the body last night.  After a lot of wiping, sanding, cleaning, gluing, and assembly, it’s complete…the first ever Tamiya G10-01!

5aea5b53adde3_KongheadDuallyEdited02.thumb.jpg.32b54b2c8a97a605cc52ba0f4f11a7b7.jpg

Here’s a list of the parts I used for the 10 wheel conversion:

(5 sets) Tamiya 50549 – 2-Piece Wide Mesh Wheels (1 Pair)

(5 sets) Tamiys 51448 – DN-01 Inner Sponge (Front) (1 Pair)

(5 sets) Tamiya 9805481 – Tires (1 Pair)

(2 sets) Parma 12868 – Dual Wheel Adaptors for Frog, Front (1 Pair)

Used on the middle and rear axles

(1 set) Tamiya 53596 – Clamp Type Aluminum Wheel Hub (6mm Thick) (Qty. 4)

Used on the middle and rear axle Dual Wheel Adaptors

(2 sets) Tamiya 53646 – Wheel Spacers

(1) 1.0mm spacer on each front axle wheel

(2) 1.0mm spacers on each rear axle wheel

Plus (1) 0.5mm spacer on each rear axle wheel

No spacers used on middle axle wheels

This set up is definitely geared more toward road racing and a mild dirt track running rather than rough grass or serious off-road bashing, but I like it.  And as it’s only a tire/wheel change I can go back to the kit standard setup by simply changing back the wheels and raising up the body back to the kit height.  Hope you all like it

5aea5c11ef6fc_KongheadDuallyChassisEdited01.thumb.jpg.c4e888828f17aad2d2361770680f1f1c.jpg

Here's a pic with the inner rear wheels mounted and the Dual Wheel Adaptors and outer sets of Alum Clamp Hex Hubs

5aea5c5dc8d01_KongheadDuallyEdited07.thumb.jpg.868386a2fd6a0cde7a340dd282892aa6.jpg

I love the look at the rear

• Like 11

That looks great! I might have to try something similar in the future. Nice work.

I echo Tamiyabigstuff... one of the very rare times that a modification is seriously better than the original.