Ronnyhotdog

Have you done an error free build?

I spent a hour confused as to why the rear axles on my G6-01 were pointing upwards and eventually discovered that I'd put the wrong pieces on. The pieces in question looked very similar to the correct pieces and even though I stared at the instructions for an hour and re read them  I still missed my error. Reading the instructions gives me a sort of dyslexia as the diagrams float around the page and the multi-language texts blur into one another. Have you ever made it through an entire build error free?

• Like 2

Clod instructions

"Take care not to forget this nut"

Hmmmmm, why is this bolt not threading, don't remember putting a nut in there.

gearbox apart, nut fitted. Bolt tightened down.

• Like 2

i think it's almost impossible even having been in the hobby off and on for 30 years lol

right up there with eating a taco bell taco in your car and not getting shredded cheese between the seat and the center console. it can NOT be done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't usually get to the end and figure I missed something or did something wrong, but I have gotten a few pages through and realized something was missed or swapped.   ;)  That's when I make a determination if I can live with it or it needs to change before I move forward.

• Like 1

Nope, but I’ve only built one fully and ones half done so there’s time yet on that one to manage to be error free but I highly doubt it 😂

• Like 1

Coming back to Tamiya and building again - you quickly are reminded of all the shortcomings and things that annoyed you back in the day with EACH partictular chassis/car and remember how you engineered around them.  With the ORV chassis a few examples:

-The sandwich that is the gearbox, putting that together the first time and all the gears meshing right

-The front axles having the correct caster and not loosening up on you and throwing off steering

-The body pins in the rear bed of the BRAT pushing up against the rear glass

Just to name a few.

• Like 1

Building the Novafox without fitting radio gear, as I'd throw it in later, not realising I'd have to almost strip the car to fit!?! 😠

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

My chassis builds are usually error-free (unless you count dropping small components on the floor and taking ages to find them again), but I have yet to manage a bodyshell that I am happy to call error-free. They come out well enough for running as they look fine from a few feet away,  but there is always at least one, usually several little imperfections in paint or decals that can be seen upon close inspection and thus make them less than ideal for shelf display. 

• Like 3

I made a few mistakes which I picked up prioer to finishing onboth my TT02B builds,  which were tge first in 20 odd years. But the Boomerang and Novafox went great a couple of months later.

The TRF102 gave me some problems though as I think it was just so different to my other cars which are buggies. There were a couple of things I had to correct, and one was pointed  out by @TurnipJF from pics in the build thread, so that is the only embarassing one being public!

I think the TA07 went fine though, can't really remember though

Not too big of mistakes, but I've spent a lot time wondering "What the h*** did they do???" regarding certain wrecks I've bought on ebay :blink::wacko:

• Like 1

isnt it normally down to the excitement of a new build and especially a new chassis for the first time...which influences you to speed up the build time to see it running even quicker than originally planned! 😝 

• Like 1

I think it's impossible not to make a minor boo-boo when building a new kit, some of the ones I've done are putting the front diff on my nitro buggy in upside down so the front wheels spun backwards and the rears spun forwards, thinking "Ooooh that's clever, they have given me spare steering knuckles" on my re-re bigwig build and not realising that tamiya actually have supplied upgraded parts along with the originals, the obligatory forgetting one tiny thing deep inside the gearbox and having to strip it all down again and the all time classics that are putting a screwdriver down and not being able to find it 30 seconds later and supergluing myself to the tyre/wheel. 

• Like 1

I always catch a mistake or two. My last build of my agrios i caught myself 2or 3 times but luckily it was noticed the following step or two. I also seem to switch left and right because being left handed i look at things differently, but my last few builds i havent screwed that up because i triple check when a section of which way to turn things is

• Like 1

The kits I owned in order:  Kyosho Ultima => Tamiya Hornet => Associated 12i => Tamiya Blackfoot => Associated RC10 => Tamiya Golf V5 => Tamiya BRAT     so having owned these and seen some manuals - The RC10 was a glorious car but the manual with the black and white photos was an absolute CLUSTERF—— No internet forums like this back in 92/93.  There was usenet but that’s not the same.  Ugh that manual still gives me headaches.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

The RC10 was a glorious car but the manual with the black and white photos was an absolute CLUSTERF——

Photos! You lucky lucky...

Never built a Mardave Meteor then? 🤔

20180504_054902

That's about it! (And an exploded view)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My ultimate build error (errors) was my build of the rock socker CR-01 it looks quite simple in design when you look at it fully built but I can't tell you how many times I had to take it apart because I put wrong screws in wrong places and gears the wrong way around🤔...........and then my Schumacher cat xls came along and that makes the rock socker build like a grasshopper😕

• Like 1

I wouldn't say errors as such, more a slightly different design to what Tamiya intended. Instructions are just a rough guide, so long as it all stays together & is fun to use then happy days :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Only 1, my brand new at the time back in 1999, Tamiya Raybrig NSX TA03R Limited Edition kit, was the first kit I bought with 100% my own hard earned cash. Has been the only kit I have ever actually taken my time to build too. I think It took me around 5 hours to build or so at the time (chassis only). Every other car I just build as quick as I can then make errors and had to go back and undo my mistakes.

James.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

My chassis builds are usually error-free (unless you count dropping small components on the floor and taking ages to find them again), but I have yet to manage a bodyshell that I am happy to call error-free. They come out well enough for running as they look fine from a few feet away,  but there is always at lest one, usually several little imperfections in paint or decals that can be seen upon close inspection and thus make them less than ideal for shelf display. 

I completely agree, hopefully most chassis errors can be rectified but the bodyshell is generally a one chance process.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

The kits I owned in order:  Kyosho Ultima => Tamiya Hornet => Associated 12i => Tamiya Blackfoot => Associated RC10 => Tamiya Golf V5 => Tamiya BRAT     so having owned these and seen some manuals - The RC10 was a glorious car but the manual with the black and white photos was an absolute CLUSTERF—— No internet forums like this back in 92/93.  There was usenet but that’s not the same.  Ugh that manual still gives me headaches.

You're lucky you got pictures... the earlier Assocs had just typewritten words on paper, few diagrams of any. :) 

• Like 2

Makes me feel better knowing is still happens to old hands, too. I also just discovered that I should have swapped two small ball bearing on the gear spurs but that will just have to be as I'm not going back in there. The brass bushings will just have hold on till reinforcements can be sent in.

Chassis' usually go together without a problem (especially simple stuff like the Mad Bull, pretty much impossible to go wrong with one of those), but I nearly always make minor errors with bodywork. And as for scratch builds, I always end up with at least an ice cream tubs work of scrap bits, but that's what you get for trying to operate a milling machine at 22:30 at night when you're in a rush to try and get something finished.

2.5mm and 3mm screws. Sure I have loads in the wrong place...