JeffSpicoli

What R/C model do you wish Tamiya made? (Dream Build)

4 hours ago, OCD said:

Not sure how I missed your post, but this is such an overlooked model! How is it there's never been a single on of these done outside of static models?

I've seen photos of a toy-grade one (on here I think, actually), but it would be so cool to see one done like the real car: FWD, leading/trailing arms, and all the hydraulics. It's not really much of a stretch: I know that hydraulic RC construction equipment exists, so a car suspension shouldn't be too hard. And Tamiya could really do the bodywork justice, as long as they stayed away from Lexan. It's such a pretty car; it deserves a good scale treatment.

• Like 1

+1 on the DS but a Hardbody DS. And fitting wheels and tires not like the 2CV with wide Beetle wheels.

4E39491A-51E2-4104-B058-45DA2A84BFB2.thumb.jpeg.510eb0178e51ffc238941e04c232a14a.jpeg

• Like 2

A new, competitive, 2wd buggy that uses standard hex wheels rather than having users figure out adaptors.

On 05/05/2018 at 9:36 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

One thing you'll see with modern buggies is that they're all tending towards the same thing now. At the track its very hard to tell a Losi 22 4.0 from a Kyosho Ultima RB6.6 from a Associated RC10B6 (D off course, proper clay track). Its like the design is sorted and now they are just refining it.

You can tell a Tamiya as they are the one that isn't there, or if they are they look out of place as they haven't updated their designs in years.

Yep but it's possible to be different and successful, look at the predator, inboard suspension, carbon shafted, super wide wishbones etc.... That is like nothing around (still) and was pretty competitive in 4wd until very recently.

Looks at orb racings ff210, winning events as we speak despite being nothing like anything on the grid. 

With new material advances new configurations will (and do) open up but it seems that (TCS excepted) tamiya now mostly just iterate and change shells. 

Don't even start me on the lack of personality (and general laziness) of buggy body shells.... 

• Like 2

I'd love to see a real Tamiya 4wd short course truck. Also a proper 4wd monster truck in production again. 

• Like 1

Yes to the 3.0 CSL ‘Batmobile’ above, and of course being biased, the E28 M5:

4A14A827-633E-42E6-9FE6-247F369A20EA.jpeg

These would take off I am sure.  Could be used anywhere, mod scene would probably explode.

off-road-buggy4.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 3:42 AM, Munchbox said:

I'd love to see a real Tamiya 4wd short course truck. Also a proper 4wd monster truck in production again. 

I agree with this, I don't think a Slash rival would be much of a technical challenge for them!

32 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I agree with this, I don't think a Slash rival would be much of a technical challenge for them!

I really only run on loose dirt and sand so once you reach a certain level of power (not very much I might add) traction becomes a huge issue. So 4wd is a must for me. I love my Lunchbox but controlling it in those conditions is like trying to pick a lock with a wet spaghetti noodle. Same goes for my dt03 before I snapped the entire front end off (not hard to do, by the way!)

The tt02b chassis can be made into a fun 4wd SCT/Stadium/monster truck, of you're willing to rework both gearboxes, build custom shock mounts, modify suspension arms.. 

Tamiya has some fun and interesting designs but the warts come out immediately when you set them next to a modern car. 

Why would a scale model company capable of this:

cycle.jpeg

bother competing with toy companies who make things like this?

TRA68086-4-COMBO-2.jpg?1509049051

It's just not what they do. They could probably manage it, but I'd rather see them focus on things that no one else makes, because no one else can. Asking why Tamiya doesn't make a short-course truck is sort of like asking why there is no cheeseburger on the menu at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Sure, they could do it, but why?

• Like 3

That just comes across as a massive cop out, sorry.

For starters, Tamiya couldn't have cloned the Traxxas T-Maxx any faster if they had tried (TNX) so to say they have completely different aims to Traxxas is highly dubious.

And that scale model pretty much has nothing to do with the RC side of Tamiya and nothing to do with Tamiya's ability to make a competent off road chassis. Most modern Tamiya off road stuff has a lexan body just like everything else.

And it's not as if Tamiya wasn't competitive in the 80's with their advanced designs whilst still selling novelty models.

There's room for contemporary stuff alongside unique stuff and furthermore, having a unique design and having modern off road performance are not mutually exclusive. 

The closest thing Tamiya has to a Slash is a Levant. Its hardly oozing charisma compared to the Traxxas, is it?

5Iog5cq.jpg

Its one thing to claim that Tamiya's more novel stuff is unique but the Levant isn't exactly making up for it's lack of competitiveness in other ways. 

There's nothing about the Levant that's making it distinctive or interesting at the cost of dynamics.

There's no reason they couldn't come up with something dynamically competitive that's still unique and distinctive. Making a talented off road bashing chassis doesn't seem like some kind of violation of who Tamiya are.

• Like 2