Leckster

Oh Dear.... (Bruiser clone)

On 6/25/2018 at 10:26 AM, Fuijo said:

I found out a few days ago for example, that some Harley Davidson motorcycles are now made in India amongst other places. Only one reason for that - cheaper labour.

So I'm striking one of those off my things-to-own-before-I-die list, because it just isn't the same if it's not made in the US, at least to me.

That's a few jobs that Americans have lost because they are deemed too expensive. Shame.

As far as I can see there's only one way the west can compete, and that's to erode worker's rights and pay. I have a sneaking suspiscion that is one of the motives behind brexit, but that's a whole other topic,so

As to the Harley part did you really think all the parts that constitute a Harley were made in the US? Been decades since that happened. India and China are considered huge emerging markets for HD, thats why they are made in India.

Now Brexit yes you are partially right but don't forget the casual xenophobia of many Brits, the dislike of a crooked european alleged democracy and stupidity.

Well my clone arrived today. 

All looks present and correct.  One thing I have noticed is the thread is off center for the bolt that is fitted to the gearbox case cover to help set the selector servo.

Not a big drama. As stated in the video posted earlier, the battery is very light and think I'll dispose of that safely rather than use it. 

Looking forward to giving it a test run this evening, will report back with any issues/findings. 

52 minutes ago, EddScott said:

Well my clone arrived today. 

All looks present and correct.  One thing I have noticed is the thread is off center for the bolt that is fitted to the gearbox case cover to help set the selector servo.

thats nothing tbh.

i had the 100mm bolt that holds the rear alxes in my merc truck threaded so it would not even accept a screw and it took me nearly a month to get that sorted with tamiya 

plus when i was building my bruiser i could not get the gearbox case to screw together or get the internals to fit correctly as it had not been cast right know to me that is a pretty huge mistake on tamiyas behalf. so i doubt the clone version can have more wrong than that

13 hours ago, Sickpup said:

Now Brexit yes you are partially right but don't forget the casual xenophobia of many Brits, the dislike of a crooked european alleged democracy and stupidity.

We don’t really do politics and non-rc opinion around here. One of the reasons I like TC. Plenty of other sites out there for this if you want that sort of thing.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 1:25 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

I must be the only one that read it as "POTATO" , but I don't think I'm wrong. :) 

I read it as 'TOMATO'. Let's call the whole thing off.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, njmlondon said:

We don’t really do politics and non-rc opinion around here.

Amen

If you must, please use the "Anything not RC related goes here"  forum for discussing Trump, Brexit, religion, The World Cup etc.
Any further OT discussion will be deleted

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EddScott said:

will report back with any issues/findings. 

Fired up the "Mountain Pig" yesterday evening and it's spot on. 

Gears selected fine. Movement fine.  TX is a bit cheap looking but not a show stopper. 

Have to say for the price and to be used to save the genuine from damage, you can't go wrong.

Been reading this thread with interest since the beginning. I think it's very interesting how there's a "what goes around comes around" situation.

China would not have the machinery / parts / ability to create such excellent copies of property if it weren't for the Western world outsourcing manufacture out there in the first place.

You take a country which historically has had very cheap labour and widespread poverty, offer them the contract to manufacture goods which will ultimately be sold on the other side of the world, then award the contract to the lowest bidder to maximise your own profits. It's prolific exploitation on a commercial scale.

And all because we have men in suits with paperwork stating that 'they can't do that' people genuinely think that will stop them? How has that worked out? China doesn't care for copyright. Simplest way to avoid your product being copied is to not exploit the nation in the first place.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

And all because we have men in suits with paperwork stating that 'they can't do that' people genuinely think that will stop them? How has that worked out? China doesn't care for copyright. Simplest way to avoid your product being copied is to not exploit the nation in the first place.

For this to be a reasonable expectation, the objective of business would have to cease to be maximizing profits. Also, someone else has already posted up thread that the "exploitation" element isn't so black and white since it raises the cheap labour force out of poverty. 

• Like 1

I couldn't PM Pintopower, but in his unboxing video he was wondering what the ESC was, I just fitted this to a car:

k8mjbBEl.jpg

I bought this branded as an Etronix Probe Plus 2.0 ( https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-probe-plus-2-0-brushed-wp-electronic-speed-controller/rc-car-products/397047 )  to get a car running and realised it looked pretty much the same when I opened it.

Instructions that came with it https://i.imgur.com/pvdcot4.jpg

• Like 1

How much did you guys get your truck for & which sites have the best deal? Some are happy with copy cars & trucks some are loyal to a certain brands.  Unfortunately everything right now are being copied so fast ex. Phones, magwheels, wallets, toys etc... are  duplicated.  Sometimes you almost can't tell its not real..  i don't have the re-re bruiser so i can't compare the details on it. Someone hopefully would do a side by side comparison on these ones. 

For 200ish for a Bruiser clone, I think it is more catered towards the veterans? or is this ok for someone who is completely new to rc?

For that kind of money, a beginner would get more buying from a reputable brand correct?

1 hour ago, stephwc said:

For 200ish for a Bruiser clone, I think it is more catered towards the veterans? or is this ok for someone who is completely new to rc?

For that kind of money, a beginner would get more buying from a reputable brand correct?

I don't think the Market for the Bruiser is the new to RC customer. Most will have no idea what it is, and if they compare it to other trail trucks it's unlikely to stand up.

The chief market I think is the enthusiast of a certain age to whom the Bruiser means/represents an iconic time in RC history

Anyone remember when the Team Durango DEX410 came out? Maybe not as this is a Tamiya forum and perhaps not that many here are racers.....

Anyhoo, not long after the 410 came out a Chinese clone came out, though as far as I know it was stomped on pretty quickly. Not sure if any were ever sold or what they were like.

Yeah I heard about this through Ampro's vid, and the product for better or worse (mostly worse) seems pretty good.

At the price point they are at......tempting. Though I can't like myself for that.

My two arrived just before the weekend and as has been said already its pretty impressive. I stripped one down and its in paint. When its finished ill do a side by side with my mounty. I know there is mention of movement in the front hubs but its no more than my mounty. 

Looks like spare parts are up for sale if you need them. The bodies are a great deal, but it sucks for us Tamiya fans. I may have to get one

to just see how they stack up against the re-release Bruiser I just built. I still like my 80's 3 speeds.

Spare parts.

Cory

What's the trx4 wheelbase? Someone should drop one of those bodyshells on it and create the best of both worlds.

• Thanks 1

Those of you who own one, look at the shocks closer. I just saw a video on youtube and looks like they have a spring around the shaft. No oil?

Cory

So I got mine about a week ago and have put 5 packs through it and have enjoyed running it. It definitely is an R/C from the 80's, but still fun in it's own right. I did find the front diff pinion bearing looks to be a bit loose...going to take diff apart to take a look to see what's going on. Other than that for under $300 bucks it's worth it for sure. I would say the chassis and motor paint are not of the same quality of Tamiya as it seems to chip easy. The body is good but not to the high standard Tamiya sets, but from a few feet away i couldn't tell the difference.   

I see these are now available on the Australian eBay site now, $355 AUD plus $25 AUD shipping. I've never see any of the original Bruisers forsale here on display at any of the hobby stores I've visited in the last 5 years, but I've only to been 4 or 5 different ones. I think the best price I've ever seen one for is around $700 or $800, so at that price, right or wrong, they'll probably sell well.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, RC4x4 said:

Those of you who own one, look at the shocks closer. I just saw a video on youtube and looks like they have a spring around the shaft. No oil?

Cory

You are correct springs around the shaft. Haven't dismantled it yet. Will check later on. 

Where or who are you ordering these through? Please PM.

Where or who are you ordering these through? Please PM.