Leckster

Oh Dear.... (Bruiser clone)

I just saw Tamiya blog listed #47394 Mountain Rider as future release. This can’t be right?? With the clones taking over would Tamiya able to sell Mountain Rider ? Or is it some surprise from Tamiya that we don’t know yet.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:04 PM, JYCM3 said:

I just saw Tamiya blog listed #47394 Mountain Rider as future release. This can’t be right?? With the clones taking over would Tamiya able to sell Mountain Rider ? Or is it some surprise from Tamiya that we don’t know yet.

Perhaps they will price it a little more aggressively?

Mind you, I'm not sure how many Bruiser sales the clone really steals. I like my clone but it definitely needed some work before it was ready for proper use so I'm sure most who can afford it will favour the original. I'd never be able to get a genuine at the price they charge so it's not like I was in the market for one and was swayed by the clone.

Releasing the Mountain Rider at a more acceptable price point may actually be a great move.  I love Tamiya and have always thought the Bruiser was cool, but could never really justify the cost for something I wouldn't use much.  I recently bought and built the HG P407 KIT version and while being impressed with the engineering as a whole, you can definitely tell it is a Chinese knock off and not Tamiya quality.  With that said, I am now more intrigued than ever by the Bruiser/Mountaineer and would definitely purchase a genuine Tamiya kit at a reasonable price.  

Im summary, I never would have bought a Bruiser/Mountaineer before, but after building the P407 KIT I would definitely consider it.  Kind of funny how that works.  As for my P407, working on paint now and some modifications to make it more trail friendly and then will drive it until the wheels fall off.  If I ever get a genuine Tamiya it will surely be a shelf queen.

Looking at videos and other forums for comments about the clone it seems most people reviewing it own or have owned a Bruiser or Mountaineer.

It would seem to me this clone to run, Tamiya to shelf pattern might be doing more good than harm. The real test will be originals rebuilt with clone parts hitting EBay. 

Well, it finally happened. Some complete and utter moron is trying to pass one off as a genuine.

I love how he supposedly found it in his loft, as if the Christmas fairies left it there. 

We've been having a laugh about it in a few facebook groups, his responses to messages are fantastic. Apparently he won't take the body off or add a photo of the transmitter because "it's just a toy" and not worth the effort.

The highlight is where he updated the listing to explain that loads of "Tamiya W**k**s" have messaged him to say it's fake but that it's totally legit and they are just jealous. I have to laugh at someone stupid enough to post a riposte to accusations that his target customers will have never seen to begin with, he doesn't seem to understand that his best policy would have been to say nothing.

FYI: All the bids are fake and he has been reported. Feel free to fill up his inbox and if you're rally lucky you might get a reply too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264122890980?ul_noapp=true

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

The highlight is where he updated the listing to explain that loads of "Tamiya W**k**s" have messaged him to say it's fake but that it's totally legit and they are just jealous. I have to laugh at someone stupid enough to post a riposte to accusations that his target customers will have never seen to begin with, he doesn't seem to understand that his best policy would have been to say nothing.

lol, thanks for this. I had a satisfying chuckle looking over that listing :lol:

Seems like a young'n that knows just enough to get themselves into trouble lol. Hopefully eBay will pull the plug before this escalates to an actual crime.

Oh, and I just have to post the seller's update in its entirety... reminds me of the old days on eBay when there was an actual "community" that was forced to police the site themselves :rolleyes:

"I HAVE HAD A LOT OF "SUPPOSED" TAMIYA W*****S, SORRY EXPERTS SAYING THIS MODEL IS A CLONE ? I THINK THAT THEY ARE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER AND MOST DEFINATELY RUNS BETTER THAN THEIR BATTERED  TATTY MODELS !!
I HAVE LOOKED ON A LOT OF WEBSITES AND IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE RE-ISSUED 2012 VERSION !
CHASSIS - SAME, AXELS- SAME, GEARBOX - SAME, BODYSHELL - SAME, PROPSHAFTS - SAME, IT GOES ON. IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DOG, BARKS LIKE A DOG THEN IT IS PROBABLY A DOG ?!
I AM NOT TRYING TO RIP ANYONE OFF, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET, AN IMMACULATELY  BUILT, PAINTED AND DECAL'D METAL AXELE'D, 4 WHEELED DRIVE TOYOTA PICKUP WITH METAL 3 SPEED GEARBOX FULLY WORKING LIGHTS AND 10 CHANNEL DIGITAL RADIO GEAR.
IF ANYONE WISHES TO VIEW THE TRUCK BEFORE THEY BID THEN I AM QUITE HAPPY FOR YOU TO HAVE A LOOK !
I CAN'T SAY FAIRER THAN THAT."

He reminds me of a kid that accidentally incriminates themselves by denying something the parents hadn't yet found out about.

I like the way he now says it's a 2012 re-release so for his original description to be plausible, he must have spent £700 plus on the truck and paint etc, built it, never ran it, put it in the loft and forgot about it so completely that he didn't even know what it was when he found it again. All inside of 6 years.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

He reminds me of a kid that accidentally incriminates themselves by denying something the parents hadn't yet found out about.

I like the way he now says it's a 2012 re-release so for his original description to be plausible, he must have spent £700 plus on the truck and paint etc, built it, never ran it, put it in the loft and forgot about it so completely that he didn't even know what it was when he found it again. All inside of 6 years.

Stop it, you're clearly just jealous :D

Really it's sort of shame this was their chosen scheme -- might actually have been able to make an okay return if they'd simply elected to part it out instead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is not just the Tamiya guys that have complained to fleebay about this. The CLONE fellas have too!

J

I try to avoid topics like this because I tend to use this and other forms as a light bit of good conversation on what is a very enjoyable hobby😁 but its is a bit naughty if he's/she is selling something as a genuine article when it's not especially if it's as expensive as the bruiser is! The bottom line is it simply fraud and Ebay does have a duty if complaints have been made to investigate, as to the abuse he has put on his listing most of us if not all of us on this forum would instantly see that it is the clone which obviously narked the seller when people contacted him/her and it just goes to show the immaturity of said person🤔 the seller would have been better selling it as a clone made to look like a bruiser! They would have probably got a fair price for it but I suppose the sad reality is from society today is greed gets in the way😔

I agree, a lot of people are interested in the clone but don't want to mess around with the shipping from China so you could make a profit on those grounds alone but when you factor in that it's a fairly decent lookalike I bet he could have got 200 or more for it. As it stands it will probably end on about £30,000 and all be troll bids.

Sorry, I have not looked at the clone closely. I assume some of you guys are able to tell from the pics on the listing, that makes you think it's not the 2012 Bruiser from Tamiya. So what are the tell-tale signs? Perhaps some of you can share the knowledge to help others (like myself) from falling victim to similar situations. Much appreciated!

34 minutes ago, d4dawg said:

Sorry, I have not looked at the clone closely. I assume some of you guys are able to tell from the pics on the listing, that makes you think it's not the 2012 Bruiser from Tamiya. So what are the tell-tale signs? Perhaps some of you can share the knowledge to help others (like myself) from falling victim to similar situations. Much appreciated!

Black chassis.

Chromed canopy, bumpers and side rails.

Black 540 motor.

Moulding around the power switch is different. 

Repro decals have both hog images the same both sides, on the Tamiya they are mirror images.

No rubber plugs in the gearbox cover.

There are a few others but that's a few I can think of.

And in this guys case, the electrics and transmitter are obviously the new Chinese ones because he refuses to show them.

another sign of the clone is look at the inside of the wheel hugs. If there is not a black plastic bearing sleeve and just a huge bearing in the alloy hub, that would be a clone or clone parts.

Got a customs notice for mine today so another £14 :(

Just need to order some decals and a tin of blue paint before I “find” it in my shed and lob it on EBay :ph34r:

• Like 2

All of the metal parts on that truck are nice and shiny. Metal that sat in an attic since the 80's will have at least some oxidation.

It's going to suck when you can only buy a Bruiser from someone you know and trust because scammers are trying to pull off crap like this :(

I don't think many would fool for it. I know for a fact that at least 6 of the 9 bidders are trolling him.

And justice is served:lol:

Screenshot_20190124-192128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1cf906ca0742714c009c2a3fba0994d.jpgScreenshot_20190124-192139_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7b793c6a3efff0e25257c939f15028eb.jpg

Notice how the winning bidder has zero feedback? You got trolled big bouncy boy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2019 at 12:45 AM, 87lc2 said:

Releasing the Mountain Rider at a more acceptable price point may actually be a great move

Turned out we were both very optimistic lol

2 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Found this on the local CL - https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/tag/d/toms-river-tamiya-bruiser-rc-truck/6810809089.html

Sure looks like a clone to me.  Like how he put Tamiya radio equipment in it to try and fool people...

Yeah the black chassis is very suspicious among other things.

1 minute ago, nowinaminute said:

FYI --  Both of the re-release 3-speed chassis from Tamiya have a black coating as well. B)

9 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Rere bruiser has black chassis rails, get your facts straight. The clones gearbox should be a give away (no plugs (2) for inspection), on this add looks like it's the real thing. Pictures could be better.

The rc saylors on YouTube did a review on the toyato bruiser. Said directly its a tamiya clone, but very quality. I think the steering needed work....at least on his, but it became one of Nate's favorite rc trucks. Makes me wonder how tamiya sells it for 1,000 and you can get this clone for 200.00 and less. I even wonder if its the same tamiya kit under license....tamiya probably is in on this. Just guessing....not trying to raise arguments.

F-150 , the clone's parts are not up to Tamiya's OEM parts. The rear diff is giving a few owners nightmares as its wearing too fast and the second gear in the box is made of B grade marzipan and disintegrates on command. The shocks leak like a guddun but the body is superb.

J