Silverado

Rally chassis options and TA-02SW to 257mm wb

After finishing the 037 Lancia, I want something new to build.

I like the design of the TA-02S better then TT-01 for a rally build.

Now I am thinking what chassis to use on the next build. I will use standard 257mm wheelbase shell,something like Subaru Impreza 07,or Lancia Delta etc.

I am thinking TT-02, or maybe another TA-02, but TA-02S(or SW)  is way too short wheelbase in stock form.  Is there a guide online that shows what needs changing to build one 257mm wb?

Thinking of buying the 911 GT2 TA-02SW kit and using that as a base for the build?

Please guide me to the right path .

-Pate

To convert the TA02SW to a normal TA02 you need the K-Parts for rear arms which have been discontinued for a while;

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/r-c-spare-parts-71000/rc-4wd-ta02-rr-suspension-arms-50556

You'll also also need the Skyline body mount set;

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/r-c-spare-parts-71000/rc-skyline-body-mount-set-50482

There are also a couple of Flange Tubes you need to do it as per the instructions, it's worth looking at a normal TA02 manual for guidance;

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/4wd-shaft-drive-on-road-(ta)-36150/rc-loctite-nissan-skyline-gt-r-58155

I managed to find a NIP set of rear arms when I got my TA02, whilst the price was reasonable (£7 - £8), I had to pay more than double the original price for shipping from Italy to the UK!

There are 3rd party metal rear arms also available, but these are expensive, and may not suit being used as a rally car;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-FRONT-REAR-LOWER-ARM-SUSPENSION-S-TAMIYA-1-10-TA02-TA-02/332636589741?hash=item4d72af8ead:g:vXkAAOSw8vZXM3Ud

The other and easier option would to buy a TA02SW and convert it to a TA01. Parts are much more common. Assuming you keep the TA02 front suspension setup, from memory, you'd only need a Manta Ray Chassis, and Prop Shaft.

AndyForbes, thank you for the extremely informational post!

Converting to TA01 looks like the way to go!

Thinking of ordering the Porsche 934 RSR Black TA02SW , cause that comes wit plenty of hop-up´s. Maybe use the porsche kit´s frp chassis and propeller shaft on the 037 Lancia I have.

And I do have plenty of carbon sheet laying a round so making a bit longer chassis using carbon fiber sheet using the frp pieces as a template should not be too difficult.

I have no use for the porsche shell, but cant have too many Tamiya bits in boxes I guess.

Still thinking about tt02 but i dont know...

So maybe a carbon fiber chassis ta01/02 hybrid with a nice rally shell coming soon...

-Pate

There are tonnes of FRP and carbon fibre TA01 length chassis about because the same chassis formed the basis of the Top Force buggy. You'll pick up Top Force FRP plates for about £25 because of the ReRe last year. With the Manta Ray ReRe this year the hop up steel prop shaft and alloy motor mount are right there as a set. Super easy to do.

If you're willing to invest a similar cost of the 934 Black Special into a rally car, look at the XV01 which is currently available as the Lancia Delta Integrale. 

It's a great chassis to build, and there are plenty of hop ups if that interests you too.

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I believe fibrelyte still produce Top force carbon fibre parts.

Indeed they do. I used their carbon plates to make a hopped up DF01 chassis last summer. lovely stuff.

Thanks guys for the help.I have looked at the Top Force manual and I have an idea what is needed to get the conversion done.

Any info about the TT-02?  -comparing the ta01/02 to that , TT is way cheaper but somehow...meh.  (I´ve had everything from tt-01 to TRF-417, all the way to Awesomatix and that may hinder my opinion) .

I know touring car race setup etc stuff but these "entry lever" things are more relaxing to drive then full race tune +1000€ racers on track...

AndyForbes, I have thought about the XV-01, but I would rather have shaft driven chassis.  That is the reason I am thinking about the TT and TA chassis options.

-Pate