So I finally got round to installing the sports tuned motor in my lunchbox which works fine but now with the extra power I have has made the tyres start spinning,  so should I glue them in place? If so any specific glue for this, how much to use etc. I’ve read that the small holes in the wheels are for putting the glue in, is this correct. Any help or tips appreciated on this, thanks.

I did some homework on this topic recently.  The opinions vary, but regular Krazy Glue is what I will be using at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock if the tire were a clock face.  Glue on both sides.  I may also give the silicone a try since I can change my mind if I don't like the results.  See this thread for more ideas. 

Do you place the silicon all the way around the tyre or just in tiny areas? Like the sound of being able to remove it if required rather than have them welded together with glue.

I use a household hot glue gun. Put some glue round the wheel, then put the tyre on, pop the whole lot in the oven for a while so the glue re-melts and sets nicely. A lot easier to change tyres then when they wear out.

On 08/05/2018 at 8:22 AM, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I only ever use silicone sealant - holds the tyre in place and cleans off easily should the need arise.

Any tips on applying the silicone sealant to the tyre, or is it just a case of sealant gun around the wheel and push the tyre back on?

For a Lunchbox with a sport tuned motor you don't need any of that stuff. Get a couple of rubber bands that are as wide as the bead and smaller than the diameter of the wheel and put them in the tire beads then mount the tires. 

I have run my Lunchbox on 2400kv brushless, 18 tooth pinion and 2s lipo with this setup (~30mph setup) and there is no slippage. I also use this on my basher HPI Wheely King 4x4 with a 4300kv brushless and again no slippage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, junglemonkey said:

Any tips on applying the silicone sealant to the tyre, or is it just a case of sealant gun around the wheel and push the tyre back on?

I usually get the small tubes which come in a blister pack with a screw on nozzle - fit the tyre to the wheel and then press on the tyre so you can see the edge of the wheel and then just squeeze a little bit of silicone sealant in the gap.

The small tubes are easier to use than the big cartridges and you can find them in places like hardware stores or DIY stores - think I got the last one from ebay for about £2, brand was '151' and I normally use the black sealant but it comes in white or clear too, 1 tube should be enough for several sets of tyres.

On 11/05/2018 at 3:34 AM, Munchbox said:

For a Lunchbox with a sport tuned motor you don't need any of that stuff. Get a couple of rubber bands that are as wide as the bead and smaller than the diameter of the wheel and put them in the tire beads then mount the tires. 

I have run my Lunchbox on 2400kv brushless, 18 tooth pinion and 2s lipo with this setup (~30mph setup) and there is no slippage. I also use this on my basher HPI Wheely King 4x4 with a 4300kv brushless and again no slippage.

Rubber bands worked a treat, thanks for the advice 😀