Hey! Not many here may be into drifting, but since I my my old RC Drift forum obviously broke down the day I wanted to upload this, here we go.

PehvTdF.jpg

This car started out life as a run-of-the-mill TA-05. I purchased it several years ago, with the idea of converting it to CS. (Making the rear wheels turn faster, recreating a RWD car that requires you to countersteer constantly, instead of steering into a corner, with a 4WD car.) Long story short, it was one hacked together dumpster fire of a chassis and never saw action. Then RWD came around, and I decided to go for it. And once again, I couldn't get something sensible out of it, and it sat on my shelf, unfinished. 

wsNtaVu.jpg

Last year, I brought it back from project badword, and ordered a bunch of shiny aluminum parts. I used my newfound kwonledge to design custom chassis plates, which I had lasercut  by a local company, and created this bespoke car. It took some tinkering to get it to it's current state, which I finally deem presentable.

y68KMqz.jpg

The transparent blue Special edition parts are my main reason for not going with another conversion kit. Combined with blue alloy and pink hardware it makes for a really unique eyecatcher. The cut-out logo is inspired by the fijon TA-05 Kit, which was one of the first conversion kits I looked into, and another reason why I couldn't settle for anything else. If you wonder what "Rubik's Cube!" is supposed to mean, I made it up as a team name, when my brother was still into RC. I love old school japanese team names, like Magician or Mind Control, that have no obvious relation to cars. And while listening to "Abracadabra" under the shower, I had the idea for "Rubik's Cube!". It's retro, a toy, a mystery, and spells out RC when abbreviated. Bingo.

wYAeZjP.jpg

The battery is raised for increased weight shift(It can also be mounted in the stock position), and the steering now uses Eagle racing TA-05 VDF parts with stock TA-05 mounting points. Therefore, the front bulkhead had to be replaced with this mashup of parts, that allows the steering arms to move inside of it. The rear suspension has been replaced with EA Streetjam R31 style TA-05 parts. Also, there's no droop limit and the TRF dampers have been bored up to 1.5mm holes.

13,5T Hobbywing JuStock brushless combo

Futaba 9450 servo

Sanwa MX-V transmitter and receiver

SkyRC gyro

YlEdYO5.jpg

• Like 4

Happy to receive questions and recommendations! So far, it handles quite good, though I'll probably have to lower the FDR even further. The wheels also have a ton of play, which I'm going to blame on Eagle Racing.

I already test fit my old Silvia shell, and the fitment is lit! Soon to be put on!

Also, I have got some build pictures, but they need to be sifted through first. And once my driving can keep up with, further tweaks and experiments are down the line!

Very nice :D i’d be interested in seeing build pics 

how do you got about converting to CS?

Neat modding!

ahh yeah I remember the Fijon :) built some of those, then moved onto the Eagle MDFs... whilst trying to get them to perform as well as a stock VDF.

My current RWD mashup is TA05 front with TB EvoIV drivetrain to the rear end. Motor in middle might be using HPI Pro-D bits :wacko: Work in Progress as always... along with dozens others :( 

Interesting you've kept the stock motor position, no plans to centralise it? Or add extra layshaft for even more gearing options. 

2 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

Very nice :D i’d be interested in seeing build pics 

how do you got about converting to CS?

EA rear pulley plus Square RC center pulleys and a selection of belts to match that I got for free from a fellow drifter. They're antiques now!

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Neat modding!

ahh yeah I remember the Fijon :) built some of those, then moved onto the Eagle MDFs... whilst trying to get them to perform as well as a stock VDF.

My current RWD mashup is TA05 front with TB EvoIV drivetrain to the rear end. Motor in middle might be using HPI Pro-D bits :wacko: Work in Progress as always... along with dozens others :( 

Interesting you've kept the stock motor position, no plans to centralise it? Or add extra layshaft for even more gearing options. 

Very keen on seeing your mashup!!!

No, I thought about somehow centralising the motor, but couldn't come up with a good solution. Maybe a relocated VDF motor mount. I also thought about TB drivetrains, but that wouldn't have allowed for blue transparent awesomeness.

OK so here's a long overdue update.

OIUdThB.jpg

I fitted the body, it's a shabby Coppermix S15 that I built years ago. It sucks build quality wise but it looks sick, and it does the job for now.

y6NnPqy.jpg

i cut slots in the original fake canard thingies and slid polycarbonate pieces in from the inside, and glued them with ShoeGoo. The bumper is detachable via magnet beneath the headlights. Yokomo oil- and intercooler as well as muffler are attached not to the body but the chassis with 3D printed braces. Custom decals and a wheelarch scraping rideheight complete the hotboi look. Millenium style ftw!

IrVbbAN.jpg

I also managed to find an underground parking lot with proper polished concrete. It's super slippery and once you've tried it you'll see why more and more drift tracks are moving away from carpet. The lack of grip makes for scale speeds and the control is way up. It actually handles better if you're not fighting just to break friction all the time. One can manipulate the wheelspin more freely, it grants more leverage to your throttle control if you understand what I mean. But that doesn't make it easier by any means.

BdyM0Oq.jpg

I had to soften the rear springs and raised the angle of the dampers. Once I did that it became way more precise and controllable. So much fun. Oh, yes, that is a Wild Willy figure in there. It's hard to spot with the heavy tint, though.

2iVjdLY.jpg

Next up might be a front rollmod. Just for experimentations sake.

Cheers!

• Like 4

Nice ride!

I bought a TA05 for the sMe reason, to drift it, but with a 10T brushless it runs quite cast.

not going to do any CS mods, just need some plastic tires and done.