Jason1145

Team Associated Trophy Rat PROSC10 2WD Short Course Truck

Some parts arrived to stash in the spares drawer... all the way from over the pond with a big thanks to @Effigy3 for kindly doing the shopping and shipping to the UK,  and some tasty looking meat sauce thrown in for a treat ;p

A8rNhwK.jpg

• Thanks 1

I like to put the Tiger sauce on my eggs but it also goes nicely on grilled white fish or pork.  I hope you like it!  :)

• Like 1

This car handles really nicely, I think all short course trucks do compared to trying to drive, say, a DT02 or TT02 in rally guise over shortish grass down the park.... some pics and vids from yesterdays outing.

H7RG0aW.jpg

Some mesh to stop grass getting into the esc's fan again

fVNp2wz.jpg

Some shoo goo and metal washers to protect the body post holes as this likes to parachute a bit with this new bodyshell and tumble over.

N1veEGk.jpg

IBkHy0k.jpg

8UGoilP.jpg

• Like 3

Some new Short Course tyres from Ali Express to go with my new white DE Racing Borrego 3mm offset wheels

7eDsiFx.jpg

i7q0xRk.jpg

The trouble s the foams are uniform all the way through, but the SC wheels are not, as expected, one edge is 2.2'' and the other is 3.0'', so the latter is very full with foam, so much so that it widens the tyre and pushes it out of shape

7CWY0Xz.jpg

3.0'' side

fXUwFK4.jpg

2.2'' side

PyKHulV.jpg

I would expect it to be fine once you get the bead seated on the wheels.  

On 6/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, kwkenuf said:

I would expect it to be fine once you get the bead seated on the wheels.  

I’d hoped so but not so, the first picture shows the tyre in both beads and there is an angle created on the tread path, those last two photos just show the tyre unseated for ref to show that ‘extra’ foam on the 3” side.

The foam just needs trimming down when I’m next in front of it.

Good to know what to look for!  I haven’t done sct tires yet.

I’m not familiar with SCT’s either but I’d guess they should have shaped foams to fit a thicker 2.2” side and narrower 3.0” side 

In most cases they do not. Some older HPI foams are stepped but most SCT wheels are 3" all the way until the outer part where they suddenly step down to 2.2", so the foams are standard "tube" or "donut" shaped. Look at Pro-Line or AKA closed cell foams for reference. Also, if you're looking for a wider offset wheel to fill the wheel wells of the Silverado better, try RPM 2.2 wide rock crawler wheels. They're narrower than standard 2.2 stadium truck wheels and they fit Tamiya Street Rover tires quite nicely. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:36 AM, velineon said:

In most cases they do not. Some older HPI foams are stepped but most SCT wheels are 3" all the way until the outer part where they suddenly step down to 2.2", so the foams are standard "tube" or "donut" shaped. Look at Pro-Line or AKA closed cell foams for reference. Also, if you're looking for a wider offset wheel to fill the wheel wells of the Silverado better, try RPM 2.2 wide rock crawler wheels. They're narrower than standard 2.2 stadium truck wheels and they fit Tamiya Street Rover tires quite nicely. 

Thanks Velineon.... wish I had a spare Velineon system right now as I used to love those in my Traxxas Slash!

For now I have just glued these tyres on to the white wheels and switch bodies back to the Trophy Rat and it looks pretty good.... although now the open wheel design will not like kerb hits without the protection of the Silverado shell!

I'm currently after a set of cheap SCT wheels with foams now so if anyone has a set new or used they want to offload let me know (I have some wheels already)

Running the final look for this truck now but the change of style from Short Course to Rat Rod makes nose heavy off a few jumps... the lack of parachute effect maybe.

• Like 4

Little update, I wanted to change the 18t pinion for something a bit faster, however both the pinion grub screw and one of the motor screws stripped!

Out came my mates dremel and both were successfully removed, however the stock 18t pinion was ruined beyond use.

Cue the arrival of a new Traxxas 48p 21t pinion which I just fitted tonight and now waiting to beat my last speed run effort - ( the following was lifted from my speed run thread on the 3300kv stock motor which it still has)

6 - Jason1145 - Team Associated Trophy Rat - 39.8 MPH / 64.0 KPH (Video p89)

I got this out today on 3s lipo again it's a whole lotta fun! 

I ran it for 10 minutes and the motor was hot but I could still do the 7-10 seconds finger on the motor test so it's not overheating here.

I GPS'd the top speed with the extra 3 teeth now on the pinion ( from 18t up to 21t) but it only gained 2KPH whereby I thought it would've gain more ... I need to know why guys?

3s - 18t pinion = 64KPH

3s - 21t pinion = 66KPH

Another run on this thing and still to break something... loving this reliabilty out of the box

On 5/13/2018 at 2:53 AM, Jason1145 said:

I've had this a week now and only had a couple runs on it but I'll use this thread to keep a track on any mods done and the results of how it fairs with general usage.

It's a 2WD Short Course truck with a 2-3s lipo capable brushless system all RTR and a new designed Rat Rod Bodyshell.

Here's some photo's to kick things off and I'll update again soon (Also got a couple new shells for it, these will be painted soon)

N7YlSpn.jpg

AOvuq3s.jpg

ITh8d8e.jpg

r9CHFfM.jpg

te9LAoF.jpg

UnAHiwV.jpg

U3BSvg5.jpg

Hspb6An.jpg

To save the original shell I will prepare another of the stock shell for day to day useage, here it is trimmed ready to be painted

qlZCkGQ.jpg

And after 4 coats of white paint

64Utpam.jpg

And with decals applied

OCH4A3I.jpg

pvabWMc.jpg

i3njOLc.jpg

Jason1145

Hello, I joined this forum just to speak with you about this car.  I just received mine tonight.  I’m looking for the specs for the Louise wheels and tires you purchased for it.  I don’t want to make a mistake and purchase the wrong set or size.  Could you show me exactly which ones to order?  Also, do you have any suggestions or advice about the car before I start using it?  It’s in the other room still in the delivery box.  I would deeply appreciate any response from you.

SpinRush

On 5/13/2018 at 3:46 PM, Supercoolnothing said:

That's pretty cool Jason, it looks like it's based on the old T4 chassis which means that there'll be plenty of hop ups available should you want to go down that route. (B4 hop ups will also fit since the T4 and B4 both use the same gearbox and steering assembly) I'd recommended trying to get your hands on a brass front bulkhead to get a bit more weight over the front end and getting the solid bellcrank assembly to get rid of the terrible servo saver associated used as standard, you'll have to get a metal servo horn to go along with it too. They'll transform the handling of the car no end. 

Are you referring to the aluminium steering set (AE91392) from Team Associated?