Sign in to follow this  
Peter_B

My newly acquired TXT-2

As posted over in the "The postman brought me" thread 

I recently acquired a TXT-2 that, although once heavily modified, is near stock.

A couple of pics (repeated from the other thread

ATiZKRqs7WNtniQQ-RhtBMStqK2l54HBi2mo2FbtNVP9q_mbVucrRaS2DKa2BjLtvJXW7svM7Hr4kws7

This is now my second TXT-2, the other one is still in its box waiting to be built. Whether I build it or not now that I have this one I don't know.

Back to this one...

As it stands

It is mostly stock. The wheels are RC4WD Universal Monster Aluminium Beadlocks and weight about 0.5kg each (without tyres). Shocks are standard TXT-2 but have Traxxas springs. Suspension links are titanium. The centre gearbox was newly rebuilt before I took possession.

It also has alloy bumpers fitted which I think might be on the wrong ends of the car (either that or the body and wheels are on back to front). The "front" bumper sits just behind the front of the body shell whilst the rear sticks out quite a way. Doesn't seem quite right to me but I've not had chance yet to investigate properly.

The logos on the body - they're not stickers apparently (I can't say for sure as I didn't paint it) they're all paint. There are also some leds inside the body, controlled by a switch just behind the cab.

My plans for it

It needs electrics.

There is one servo mounted at the "front" but I have no idea what it is. I imagine those heavy wheels and big tyres will need something with a bit of grunt to move them. I'm definitely going to go 4WS but I haven't decided what servos to get yet.

For a motor and ESC I'm thinking of a single brushless and have a Speed Passion 13.5 MMM that isn't doing anything. Will probably pair that to a 120A ESC of some description likely a Hobbywing 10BL120 or a Trackstar GenII (already have a programming box for the Trackstar so that's a slight swing that way).

I like the aluminium wheels but they might be a bit too pretty (and heavy) for general bashing about. So I might look at fitting some TXT-1 wheels in their place.

As nice as those red Traxxas springs look, they are a little on the stiff side, especially with most of the weight being unsprung. The original owner had fitted the TXT-2 hop-up aluminium shocks, the guy I bought it from then took those off and fitted the current shocks and springs and was going to sell the shocks separately. Fortunately I was able to persuade him to do a deal for them so they will be being refitted.

The body is unique and also a bit too nice for bashing about so I'll probably look at getting either another Agrios shell or something different. In the meantime the old Parma Bigfoot 91 body that once adorned my Blackfoot might get repurposed!

I'll update here as and when I get bits done.

• Like 2

Nice I never tire of seeing one of these rare beasts looks to be a well cared for example. Is the wheelbase stock I notice the four links aren't stock?

@gravetxt-1 You're right that the links aren't stock but as far as I know it's stock wheelbase. 

Other than my NIB kit I've not seen a TXT-2 in person to know for sure, and I don't have a set of stock links handy (am not going to raid the NIB kit) to compare.

If you happen to know what length the stock ones are (if the lengths aren't in the manual) I can check when I get it on the work table.

3 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

@gravetxt-1 You're right that the links aren't stock but as far as I know it's stock wheelbase. 

Other than my NIB kit I've not seen a TXT-2 in person to know for sure, and I don't have a set of stock links handy (am not going to raid the NIB kit) to compare.

If you happen to know what length the stock ones are (if the lengths aren't in the manual) I can check when I get it on the work table.

No problem stock upper links are 111mm and lower links are 99mm (minus plastic rod ends that is)

Looks great, i love my txt 2 i built a little over a month ago. I will eventually add the aluminum tamiya shocks to mine. I have 2 superstock rz now in it. I am hesitant to go brushless because numerous people have told me the gearboxes are weak and will def blow. I have the stock tires which i dont mind actually but will eventually add clod tires. 

Do you know who makes those titanium suspension links?

53 minutes ago, gravetxt-1 said:

No problem stock upper links are 111mm and lower links are 99mm (minus plastic rod ends that is)

Thanks. I'll measure them when I have the wheels off.

26 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Looks great, i love my txt 2 i built a little over a month ago. I will eventually add the aluminum tamiya shocks to mine. I have 2 superstock rz now in it. I am hesitant to go brushless because numerous people have told me the gearboxes are weak and will def blow. I have the stock tires which i dont mind actually but will eventually add clod tires. 

Do you know who makes those titanium suspension links?

No idea about the links I'm afraid. They were fitted at least 2 owners ago.

I heard the gearboxes can be fragile, that's why I'm going with a mild setup.

7 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Thanks. I'll measure them when I have the wheels off.

No idea about the links I'm afraid. They were fitted at least 2 owners ago.

I heard the gearboxes can be fragile, that's why I'm going with a mild setup.

Please let me know how it goes with the 13.5, i was thinking adding a castle sidewinder sct 3900kv and turn the punch and timing down

Looks lovely. Let me know how the 13.5 handles, I'm putting an un-used 17.5 in my still building TXT-1 gearing it with either the stock 15t/19t pinion. 

23 minutes ago, Prescient said:

@Peter_B very nice, have fun with it.

Thanks.

Started refitting the hop up shocks, got the rear ones back on.

Fortunately my folding work table handled the weight ok.

Those wheels are some hefty bits of kit but seem to be made more for a Clod than a TXT. Between the wheel nuts and each wheel I found 3 bushings used as spacers to take up the extra length of the TXT axles.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:04 PM, Peter_B said:

Thanks.

Started refitting the hop up shocks, got the rear ones back on.

Fortunately my folding work table handled the weight ok.

Those wheels are some hefty bits of kit but seem to be made more for a Clod than a TXT. Between the wheel nuts and each wheel I found 3 bushings used as spacers to take up the extra length of the TXT axles.

If you cut the arches higher on the body you will have a closer look to BF18 which they have gone for (as per my black txt-2 I did)

TxT-1 wheels are still the best fit on these although spacers work on the clod fit wheels. 

6 minutes ago, Prescient said:

If you cut the arches higher on the body you will have a closer look to BF18 which they have gone for (as per my black txt-2 I did)

TxT-1 wheels are still the best fit on these although spacers work on the clod fit wheels. 

Yeah I'm probably going to fit TXT-1 wheels, those alloy ones are crazy heavy.

I found out that all of the steering knuckles were on the wrong sides and upside down, causing the drag links to get bound up. It's also missing washers top and bottom of each knuckle where the king pin screws fit, that causes binding to.

After I sorted all of that out (apart from the washers as I'm waiting for some to arrive that will hopefully fit) I got it running yesterday.

Single 13.5 Speed Passion brushless motor. Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC and a single Trackstar 21Kg servo at the front (need another E2 part to be able to mount the rear servo).

Running on a partially charged NiMH, it ran, was quite slow and the turning circle was huge.

The lack of speed is probably partly due to the battery, partly due to me not having tinkered with the ESC at all and partly due to the weight of it.

Steering (or lack of) was possibly also affected by the lack of juice from the battery, as well as the weight of those wheels. I've also got some wheel alignment to do - at the minute the front has toe-in and the rear time-out.