Sign in to follow this  
TurboTimmy

Alternative Motor To Sport Tuned 540

As you can see, I just took delivery of a new NSU TT kit with an M05 chassis......

For now, I intend to use the standard 540.

I also know that,eventually, I will upgrade the motor. 

What other brushed type motors will work besides a Sport Tuned 540? I'm looking for something that compares to that. I really like the Sport Tuned in my Grasshopper/Hornet, but I just want something different in this new build.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

100_1868.JPG

100_1867.JPG

Any decent rebuild able stock 27 turn motor should see better results than a sport tuned. Back in the day, I used to run a Trinity Green Machine 3 27 turn stock motor, that made 31000rpm on the Dyno @7.2v, 

Or a bigger upgrade would be a Spec 19 Turn motor, if geared correctly they can be almost as fast a full on mod 12 Turn motor around a track.

If you want to stick with Tamiya then their rebuildable RZ etc motors are good, just very expensive for what they are imo though.

Have you thought about brushless?

James.

• Like 1

Something for you to think about...

Here in Australia, they abandoned the Tamiya Sports Tuned motor for Tamiya M chassis (Mini) racing class in favor of a 13 turn (3000kV) HobbyWing brushless motor and 45A ESC Combo... The motors are the ones with fins around the can, so basically have smaller 380 size internals, and the slightly lower torque output of these motors seems to suit the Tamiya M chassis quite well...

If you want something different, then have a look at the 13 turn brushless motor/ESC combos on eBay (or from the Tamiyaclub sponsors) from companies such as HobbyWing, GoolRC, Yeah Racing etc...

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Did the kit come with the TBLE-02S ESC?  If it did then the easiest option is just to buy a brushless motor.  I would look for 13.5T from Speed Passion or Hobbyking (both are good value for money) and the biggest pinion you can fit which seems to be a good match for Tamiya's.  The ESC can handle down to 10.5T but may require a fan or it could overheat and shutdown.

• Like 1

The thing with FWD M-chassis cars is that beyond a certain point, extra power doesn't translate to appreciably faster lap times, especially on twisty tracks. All it does is accelerate your tyre wear.

Case in point: I run a Torque Tuned in my M-03. My long-time racer buddy runs a 13.5t Speed Passion in his M-05. Another mate quite new to the scene runs a stock silver can in a M-03, and another chap of similar experience to myself runs a black can Sport Tuned in a M-05. 

On the surface all appears as one might expect, with the 13.5t usually winning, the Sport Tuned and Torque Tuned battling it out in the midfield and the stock silver can bringing up the rear.

However a closer look at the results reveals that all four cars have fastest laps within 0.2 seconds of each other. The motors make no real difference to lap times. The experienced racer wins due to being more consistent, not because of a faster car, and the newbie brings up the rear because he spends half the race on his roof, not because his car is appreciably slower. 

• Like 2