yakloyd

best motor and esc combo to buy

need advise on motor , esc combos and links if possible   ebay / amazon / ect  ... thanks

s-l1600 (3).jpg

What are you using it for and how fast do you want to go?  The type of vehicle matters, as something big and heavy like a SCT would benefit from a torquier or even 550 sized motor, but a light 2wd buggy or touring car would be better with higher revs, and a 4wd buggy somewhere in between.  Do you want a programmable ESC (which is loads of fun as they can be a lot faster) in which case you will probably want a program card as well.

If bashing then look at something like GoolRC, Trackstar, SkyRC (they have 2 levels, the Cheetah like you've shown and the Toros/Ares which is their race gear) or Speed Passion if you can find a good deal on that.  hobbyking.com is a good place to start with good budget options

If you are racing, then is there a class you are aiming for?  And are you building something to be a front runner or just starting out?  I have found that the Trackstar gear was good to get going but once I worked out how to drive it was too slow compared to others in my club, so I've just upgraded to Orca.  The Trackstar combo I have is only USD$75 so not the end of the world, especially since I have used it for a year.  The Orca combo was NZD$370 (or about USD$260), so a lot more expensive but should match what others are running and help close the gap.  I run 17.5T blinky class, if you run mod then the ESC alone will cost about what I paid for the combo.

46 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What are you using it for and how fast do you want to go?  The type of vehicle matters, as something big and heavy like a SCT would benefit from a torquier or even 550 sized motor, but a light 2wd buggy or touring car would be better with higher revs, and a 4wd buggy somewhere in between.  Do you want a programmable ESC (which is loads of fun as they can be a lot faster) in which case you will probably want a program card as well.

If bashing then look at something like GoolRC, Trackstar, SkyRC (they have 2 levels, the Cheetah like you've shown and the Toros/Ares which is their race gear) or Speed Passion if you can find a good deal on that.  hobbyking.com is a good place to start with good budget options

If you are racing, then is there a class you are aiming for?  And are you building something to be a front runner or just starting out?  I have found that the Trackstar gear was good to get going but once I worked out how to drive it was too slow compared to others in my club, so I've just upgraded to Orca.  The Trackstar combo I have is only USD$75 so not the end of the world, especially since I have used it for a year.  The Orca combo was NZD$370 (or about USD$260), so a lot more expensive but should match what others are running and help close the gap.  I run 17.5T blinky class, if you run mod then the ESC alone will cost about what I paid for the combo.

thanks just starting out ... since the 70's so im way behind on tech have a mo5 chassis,pumpkin lowrider, and 2 kyosho's ... chevelle and charger RTR  but having problems setting them up  mo5 one has no reverse..  kyosho chevelle i cant program at all says shut off ABS ? cant find on controller

DSC00216.JPG

2 motor 2.jpg

DSC00235 2.jpg

DSC00227 1.jpg

DSC00237.JPG

DSC00230 2.jpg

Ok so they all look like the standard 540 size motor would be ideal.  I don't know what ESCs you already have.  If you have the Tamiya TBLE-02S then buying a brushless motor is a good start.  I find 13.5T a good starting point.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-13-5t-sensored-brushless-motor-3040kv-roar-approved.html?___store=en_us

If you don't have the TBLE-02S then this combo is good, I have it in my racers (although 17.5T)  If you get the program card you can setup the ESC with turbo and boost which will make those cars fly.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html?___store=en_us

Have a browse through Hobbyking to see what they've got.  None of it is the latest and greatest and it will be slower than others if you go racing, but for bashing its good quality and performance for the price.

It sounds like you just need help trouble shooting the motor/esc and radio systems that you have. You may be dealing with transmitter settings, or it could be esc settings.

That Kyosho has one of these:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/electronic-speed-controls-15136--1/electric-motors/ddrive-motor-system-3000kv-540-4p-deans-ori28314

It is a pretty simple unit, so that issue may very well be with setting up the transmitter. I haven't used any of the systems you have so I can't give you any specifics, but I'm sure others here can.

3 hours ago, Biz73 said:

It sounds like you just need help trouble shooting the motor/esc and radio systems that you have. You may be dealing with transmitter settings, or it could be esc settings.

That Kyosho has one of these:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/electronic-speed-controls-15136--1/electric-motors/ddrive-motor-system-3000kv-540-4p-deans-ori28314

It is a pretty simple unit, so that issue may very well be with setting up the transmitter. I haven't used any of the systems you have so I can't give you any specifics, but I'm sure others here can.

thank any advise is appreciated 

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Ok so they all look like the standard 540 size motor would be ideal.  I don't know what ESCs you already have.  If you have the Tamiya TBLE-02S then buying a brushless motor is a good start.  I find 13.5T a good starting point.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-13-5t-sensored-brushless-motor-3040kv-roar-approved.html?___store=en_us

If you don't have the TBLE-02S then this combo is good, I have it in my racers (although 17.5T)  If you get the program card you can setup the ESC with turbo and boost which will make those cars fly.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html?___store=en_us

Have a browse through Hobbyking to see what they've got.  None of it is the latest and greatest and it will be slower than others if you go racing, but for bashing its good quality and performance for the price.

yea i have been browsing hobbyking for about 2 hrs now ... thanks it helps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

are there universal cards or must u buy to match to amps ...  found this one says 80 to 120 turbo and this combo esc/motor from hobbyking

22403-main_1__3.jpg

65982.jpg

2 hours ago, yakloyd said:

are there universal cards or must u buy to match to amps ...  found this one says 80 to 120 turbo and this combo esc/motor from hobbyking

22403-main_1__3.jpg

65982.jpg

You do need to match them and that is the right one for that combo. That ESC is the turbo 80a. There is another program card for the Gen 2 ESC

for a Brushed motor I haven't found one I like better for the money than the Hobbywing WP1080 - its loaded with features, easy to program and just plain great.

Use pretty much any brushed motor down to a 12T with easy and its also offers multiple servo voltage options.

hobbywing-QUICRUN-WP-CRAWLER-BRUSHED-2.j

Here is the manual for your all in one motor in the kyosho pic.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/DYNS1450-Manual-MULTI.pdf

It's the Dynamite version, but it's the same thing with a different name/color. You could probably find the manual for the transmitter online, and between the 2 get it working. The M05 without reverse may be that it is set in a racing mode, as they don't allow reverse. There are many people here with that same transmitter, so maybe one of them can chime in on whether that is a setting available, or if it is a setting on the esc(I can't tell which brand it is).

You can buy new setups if you'd like, but that equipment looks like it has very little use, and probably works just fine once setup correctly.

15 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Here is the manual for your all in one motor in the kyosho pic.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/DYNS1450-Manual-MULTI.pdf

It's the Dynamite version, but it's the same thing with a different name/color. You could probably find the manual for the transmitter online, and between the 2 get it working. The M05 without reverse may be that it is set in a racing mode, as they don't allow reverse. There are many people here with that same transmitter, so maybe one of them can chime in on whether that is a setting available, or if it is a setting on the esc(I can't tell which brand it is).

You can buy new setups if you'd like, but that equipment looks like it has very little use, and probably works just fine once setup correctly.

yea its brand new,  30 min of run time on both   buying new setup for a pumpkin low rider ... thanks

21 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You do need to match them and that is the right one for that combo. That ESC is the turbo 80a. There is another program card for the Gen 2 ESC

gen 2 ?  is that the one in the kyosho vortex motor or the mo5 with the blue 4 pol  bl motor and esc , does hobbyking have one for each of them the vortex and gen 2     oh and does it matter if its a 1/10 or 1/12 car  thanks john

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

whats the turnigy turbo one go with in the pic do i need a different one for each car

Just now, yakloyd said:

whats the turnigy turbo one go with in the pic do i need a different one for each car

You showed the trackstar turbo 80amp esc and the matching program box. They are the same as what I use in my race buggies.

You obviously need an ESC per car, but just one program box. I would choose the ESC you want and then buy as many as you need, and then buy a single program box for them all.

5 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You showed the trackstar turbo 80amp esc and the matching program box. They are the same as what I use in my race buggies.

You obviously need an ESC per car, but just one program box. I would choose the ESC you want and then buy as many as you need, and then buy a single program box for them all.

the one i put in my pics with the track star motor/esc is a turnigy card , the link u gave me is a track star card , the koysho vortex combo motor/esc i cannot replace is there a card for that one ?  so im going to need one for each cars esc  kpysho orion vortex  and the blue motor /esc dont know that one brand 4 pole bl motor