Wade b

Vintage pajero????

Hi guys is it possible to be reasonably sure this is a vintage car from these photos? And is it rare? Cheers. 

20180518_203712.png

The suspension and gearbox on the original Pajero was taken from the Grasshopper..

This one appears to have upgraded or aftermarket shocks fitted (yellow CVA's on the front and Frog shocks on the rear?)... IIRC the 3 screws? in a triangle pattern on the side of the chassis are not original either..

I believe that the re-re Pajero or Montero body has 2 body mount holes in the bonnet near the windscreen that the Original does not have...

The Lunchbox/Montero chassis has some moulded recesses on the front inner guards to accept the longer shocks on that model.. They are not found on the Original chassis.. (that is why I asked for a pic of just the chassis).

The original Pajero chassis also has a lip across the front of the chassis that locks into the bumper on the body and acts as the front body mount.. This lip was a weak point and often breaks off the chassis..

• Like 1

Thanks mate ive learnt a bit. I think its possibly genuine but at $250 might be a bit much? I was keen to build a replica out of a re release montero. I'm talking to a guy at the moment doing one and i believe you can get it almost excact. 

I'd personally be wanting to see a few more detailed pics before I parted with $250 for it... I don't remember them being as popular as some other models BITD, and with the bodies being made from ABS, they were also a bit fragile, and many lost parts of their bumpers or wheel flares, so finding an original with a complete unbroken body may not be that easy.....

Being "rare" doesn't automatically make something valuable... Being rare and popular or sort after is what makes something valuable..

There are some things that suggest that its an original, but without better photos you don't know if it has any re-re parts on it, or if the chassis is broken..

I'm quite sure that you could build one from a Montero wheelie, but I don't know if its as simple as removing the lower chassis, and fitting Hornet/Grasshopper front axles/knuckles, shocks, 18t pinion and swapping out the tyres to those from the re-re Subaru Brat.. I think that there are a few members on here that have done the conversion..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wade b said:

Thanks mate ive learnt a bit. I think its possibly genuine but at $250 might be a bit much? I was keen to build a replica out of a re release montero. I'm talking to a guy at the moment doing one and i believe you can get it almost excact. 

Yes, you can do it.  I have a re-re that I've converted to vintage style.  I got lucky with re-re for $100, so I spent much less than $250.  

All you need are small shocks, few Grasshopper (or Hornet) parts, Subaru Brat wheels and tires.  Re-re's Aluminum body mount is different, as @Backlash already mentioned.  

[Here, I was experimenting with different shocks. I wasn't happy with the rear shocks in the photo. Fitting Hornet part needs a bit of shaving, but the rear articulation is better.  There isn't enough room for the 3rd shock, so @shenlonco's fishing line method had to be used to reduce the clacking when accelerating. I put a small foam too.]

XFskp1z.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys really appreciated.  Apparently the texaco sticker is a giveaway to it being original as well. 

I think it has value for me just being from the 80s so i might just buy it. 

But i will do a build of a replica too that would be a fun project.  

Cheers for the info guys so much appreciated 👍

looks like it could be original, the wheelie bar is original, I have a new built in box one in my closet i can take a look at possibly tomorrow since it's around midnight right now.

@Juggular

The Pajero is one of the Models that i will never finish....           .....it frustrates me.

With the Hornet rear End the Wheelbase was too long, so is purchased the Grasshopper Axlemount (non articulating) and some super Mini Shocks.

The Super Mini Shocks are too long (i have them installed with the small metal Brace like you would in a Lunchbox).

Now i see you fitted the upsidedown and some longer shocks fit. How did you fit them? With a small nut as a stopper and the shaft sticking out of the top of the Chassis?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, whahooo said:

Now i see you fitted the upsidedown and some longer shocks fit. How did you fit them? With a small nut as a stopper and the shaft sticking out of the top of the Chassis?

You can see the flange nut upside down.  I have another one right side up at the top.  This limits the travel tiny bit, but the side articulation is limited by the axle mount anyway.  

@Wahoo, you brought up a good point.  I have overlooked the wheelbase, because I was going to install older vintage wheels when running.  Vintage tires tend to be a bit smaller.  The rear tire touches the fender when the tire is all the way up.  I didn't like the rear shocks because they are a bit stiff.  But now it seems that's a good thing because under normal running conditions, the rear tires won't touch the fenders.  But if it were to jump down 2 feet, it might crack the body.  I won't drive rough, but I should put in a rubber tube on the shaft to limit the compression...   You might just have saved my shell, so thank you.  

• Like 1

Not to be a downer, but I personally found the old Pajero to be an awful runner. The high mounted battery, hardbody and rigid Grasshopper type rear suspension added up to a tippy mess that constantly threatened to mar the nice body details during epic rollovers. A shame, as I love the look of it. The Wild Willy 1 performs far better IMHO.

• Like 1

Yeah thats right, it is not a good runner. (@pintopower explains that on his Youtube Channel.)

But fudge it, the Car looks nice :D

For me it`s a counterpart to the Toyota Turbo wheelie only more off road looking and less off Road capable.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Not to be a downer, but I personally found the old Pajero to be an awful runner. The high mounted battery, hardbody and rigid Grasshopper type rear suspension added up to a tippy mess that constantly threatened to mar the nice body details during epic rollovers. A shame, as I love the look of it. The Wild Willy 1 performs far better IMHO.

Exactly as @Saito2 said!  I like the funny running of Wild Willy 1 better than WW2, though.  Mechanically, WW2 is better.  But oil shocks I installed make it stick to the ground too well and runs a bit too seriously.  I love the Wild Willy 1's bouncy and comical driving.  Grasshopper and Pajero's front feels just as bouncy, if not bouncier (but not as cute as Wild Willy1).   

I like testing things.  I saw how the vintage runs on youtube.  Totally toy-like!  With the fixed rear axle, it runs like there is no rear suspension.  I thought, "Lunchbox has a rigid axle, so why couldn't it run semi-well?"  The only difference is longer front shafts, balloon tires, longer springs, and axle mounts.  Lunchbox has an even taller body.  So when I got the re-re, I installed Hornet axle mount and some soft shocks.  The front shocks are on-road shocks and very supple.  I wish rear CVA was softer.  But I think it would run reasonably well.  I can mount a shorty pack in the middle of the chassis. It spreads the chassis tub tiny bit, but it fits fine. Since it's at the same location as Lunchbox, just higher, it might still wheelie on a grippy surface.  Alternatively, I could mount a small 2200mAh battery at the front. It won't wheelie, but it should run better.  (You can see the fishing line behind the ESC)

UA4hOsl.jpg

I wonder if I could move the body mounting holes just a bit to the rear... 

If everything fails, I could buy a Unimog or some other shell and put that on the chassis.  If I did that, the body will be unused.  What a shame would that be?  I could get an MF01X chassis and use the Pajero shell like the vid below.  4x4 Pajero!  But I'm really hoping that the current setting would do reasonably well.  

On 5/19/2018 at 2:45 PM, iluvmud said:

looks like it could be original, the wheelie bar is original, I have a new built in box one in my closet i can take a look at possibly tomorrow since it's around midnight right now.

Hey mate do you still have an original pajero? Would you part with it? 

3 hours ago, Wade b said:

Hey mate do you still have an original pajero? Would you part with it? 

long gone brotha, someone gave me an offer I couldnt refuse. Sorry!

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, iluvmud said:

long gone brotha, someone gave me an offer I couldnt refuse. Sorry!

Cheers mate

13 hours ago, Yoshio_Tamiya said:

Hi All

Anyone interested in vintage Pajero parts?  I think this car is an 84 edition.  Happy to send pics.  Pajero 58045

You can try selling them in the For Sale Trade section of this forum?  GL!