Yalson

Unexpected Marui Hunter and what to do with it

7 minutes ago, Static Age said:

I don't recall having any option when I bought one, so I guess the default plastic. I agree, steel would be overkill. 

These are the options you can get. But it doesn't look like a true steel, but a 3D printable composite.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-08-at-7.51.02-pm.png

On 5/28/2018 at 7:06 AM, Yalson said:

Why is it that everyone seems to paint them in box art colour schemes?

Because the box art colour schemes were nice?  ^_^ I have always liked the yellow/white.

And with vintage models, often the decals were designed to coordinate best with the original suggested colour. Not too much of a requirement on the Hunter decals, but certainly applies to many other models. Which is why many (not all, but many) alternative paint schemes look rubbish.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:01 AM, Yalson said:

The car was supposedly seen as a rival to the Frog, but the specs - 540 motor, oil shocks at rear, friction dampers at front - suggests it might be closer to the Hornet.

• Frog = 540 motor. Independent rear suspension with oil shocks. Independent front suspension with friction.
  • Hunter = 540 motor. Independent rear suspension with oil shock. Independent front suspension with friction.
  • Hornet = 540 motor. Rolling rigid rear axle suspension with oil shocks. Independent front suspension with friction.

The independent rear is why it's more similar to Frog.

Also worth noting - these buggies can be restored with original parts for not much cost. e.g. Spend $60-$80 on repro body, decals and shipping? Or spend $100 on an original body and decals. Tons of other original parts can also be found, with a bit of patience. I am currently restoring one with original parts and body. And have not had to wait long to find any part I needed.

H.

• Like 1

Just ordered one of those 3D-printed, bearing-friendly spur gears. Now I just need it to be delivered and to get a bearing set and we can get going on the rebuild. Expect pictorial updates shortly. Happy days!

I'm keen to see how you go with that new spur gear. Also I'm a bit behind (work got a bit crazy there for a bit) but I've traced all the Hunter Marui Galaxy stickers, I'm doing some sticker printing today, so I'll be able to do a few of these as well. I'll post some pics tonight.

• Like 1

and Bump!

Interesting thread guys. I have one of these on the way.

I suddenly found in interesting to see what the Marui competition of the day was like compared to my Tamiya buggies of the day.

I'm going to have to get a body (tbg) and decals/masks (mci) though. I'm also going to need to find a rear top pinion/spur cover and maybe a rear bumper.

It's looking like I'll have to do something about the spur gear as well going by this thread.

Oh well, all part of the charm I guess.

17 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

and Bump!

I suddenly found in interesting to see what the Marui competition of the day was like compared to my Tamiya buggies of the day.

I'm going to have to get a body (tbg) and decals/masks (mci) though. I'm also going to need to find a rear top pinion/spur cover and maybe a rear bumper.

It's looking like I'll have to do something about the spur gear as well going by this thread.

awesome, make sure you post some pics! you should be able to find a cover, but good luck finding a rear bumper, they are like hens teeth. They are usually the first thing to break after a couple of drives. Fun to drive though.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 10:06 AM, Pablo68 said:

and Bump!

Hi Pablo,

My Hunter/Galaxy has been put on the back burner for a while, as my little girl is growing up fast and I wanted something I could play with her with quicker than the Marui looked like it was going to take. As a result I have bought a Kyosho Raider which I am currently refettling, a process which I am detailing on another thread in the Kyosho section. That said, the Raider is throwing up its fair share of issues, too, so it might not end up being that much quicker. As you may have seen further up, I have two chassis (one Hunter, one Galaxy) which I am eventually planning to combine into one decent runner. If I have a spare pinion/spur cover when this is done, I will message you to see if you still need one.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yalson said:

Hi Pablo,

My Hunter/Galaxy has been put on the back burner for a while, as my little girl is growing up fast and I wanted something I could play with her with quicker than the Marui looked like it was going to take. As a result I have bought a Kyosho Raider which I am currently refettling, a process which I am detailing on another thread in the Kyosho section. That said, the Raider is throwing up its fair share of issues, too, so it might not end up being that much quicker. As you may have seen further up, I have two chassis (one Hunter, one Galaxy) which I am eventually planning to combine into one decent runner. If I have a spare pinion/spur cover when this is done, I will message you to see if you still need one.

Cheers,

Matt

Awwww thanks. Very kind of you.

• Like 1

No worries. It may take a while, though, so if you find one before I'm done then I'd advise you to take it.