Granddad Stinky

A Double Build. White Special....On The Road And The White Racer.

I've changed my mind after seeing the superb "Slammed Special" by @ALEXKYRIAK and will have this moved to Builds.

There will be a bit of parts swopping, moving around, recycling and designing, so there'll be two cars done in the same thread.

The White Special is now sporting carbon shock towers, small steel cups, matching driveshafts and road wheels.
I can't set the ride height yet, I still haven't decided on the power plant, but it will be lowered. Apart from that, I'm just waiting for the Yeah Racing blue aluminium steering gear, from Australia.

I'm searching for high kV motor, 3s capable and blue. If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. This will be entering the top speed competition. But in which class?

This has joined "My Beloved Gator" as a pair that I'd rather cut my toes off, than sell them. 😁

jvGg2hy.jpg

HZjjNmM.jpg

KOsjxwA.jpg

a6agBgY.jpg

9JyxwcR.jpg

h3Cu7HK.jpg

8AcOGg5.jpg

0UGEAyM.jpg

DjduHEU.jpg

sYSQ20a.jpg

• Like 15

Looks good Grandad, put it in the 4wd category as that’s quite empty ;)

I hear you about not wanting to sell cars you’ve invested more time in than normal, I recently sold a few Tamiya’s with little time invested and that was bad enough!

Hope it stays spanky clean and in one piece but if it’s going on a speed run.... I doubt it!

• Like 2

That looks cool. Please tell me you are going to fit a beater shell for the speed run?!!

I think it will look great with low ground clearance and loads of camber. I have noticed a few race cars with front air dams to keep the front end down but mostly seem to be offcuts of lexan on the front tower. Will increase drag but might be worth it. I am scared for that lovely Car!!!

• Like 1

Nice Buggy, I see where your coming from it would be a shame to get it dirty. Perhaps a Black Metallic edition for a brother to handle the rough stuff. They would make a nice pair to display when not being driven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Looks good Grandad, put it in the 4wd category as that’s quite empty ;)

I hear you about not wanting to sell cars you’ve invested more time in than normal, I recently sold a few Tamiya’s with little time invested and that was bad enough!

Hope it stays spanky clean and in one piece but if it’s going on a speed run.... I doubt it!

Thanks Jason. I won't go flat out to start with, I'll ease it up. I won't risk high speed until I'm confident it'll handle it. I have a great place in mind, if it works out.

57 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That looks cool. Please tell me you are going to fit a beater shell for the speed run?!!

I think it will look great with low ground clearance and loads of camber. I have noticed a few race cars with front air dams to keep the front end down but mostly seem to be offcuts of lexan on the front tower. Will increase drag but might be worth it. I am scared for that lovely Car!!!

Thanks Cy. Yes, that body is only for display. 😂  I'll do a plain PS-1 body for running it. I have Neo Fighter wing spare from my build. I should be able to make some kind of front wing-thing from that. 😁

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice Buggy, I see where your coming from it would be a shame to get it dirty. Perhaps a Black Metallic edition for a brother to handle the rough stuff. They would make a nice pair to display when not being driven.

I have been looking at those. I might see how much a body set and wheels are. I have most of the rest. 👍

On 5/22/2018 at 5:25 PM, Granddad Stinky said:

I'm searching for high kV motor, 3s capable and blue. 

What are you classing as high?

I had a blue Ezrun, but it was only 4300kv.

If you want a high kv and not overly fussed about blue, over 9000kv for £12.50? 🤔🙄

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/sale/nr90711-nosram-storm-evolution-brushless-modified-3-5t-p

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

What are you classing as high?

I had a blue Ezrun, but it was only 4300kv.

If you want a high kv and not overly fussed about blue, over 9000kv for £12.50? 🤔🙄

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/sale/nr90711-nosram-storm-evolution-brushless-modified-3-5t-p

Hey dude.

My Monster Truggy has a 3660 3300kV. I've seen a nice 3800kV motor, perhaps I'll buy an adjustable motor mount and fit a bigger pinion, it already has the high speed 68t spur kit. It'll help keep the heat down as well. 60mm long is about the limit for comfortably fitting the esc in the space.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I've seen a nice 3800kV motor, 

Be a nice starting point on 3s, 🙄😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Be a nice starting point on 3s, 🙄😂

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂

• Like 1

Hey Granddad, as I said in the PM, absolutely love the shell and paint scheme, really crisp.

Can’t wait to see what you do with this one, yes we do seem to have a very similar mindset over the last year or so!

I need to watch carefully on your choice of motor and ESC. Am interested in this speed run thing but need to research a load more to get my bearings on what the right motor, ESC and gearing kit is the most appropriate. 

Will you be building your own shock towers for this one, like the monster truggy?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 9:32 PM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Hey Granddad, as I said in the PM, absolutely love the shell and paint scheme, really crisp.

Can’t wait to see what you do with this one, yes we do seem to have a very similar mindset over the last year or so!

I need to watch carefully on your choice of motor and ESC. Am interested in this speed run thing but need to research a load more to get my bearings on what the right motor, ESC and gearing kit is the most appropriate. 

Will you be building your own shock towers for this one, like the monster truggy?

I've found a GoolRC motor that's fits the bill. 3660 3800kv with a 5mm shaft and 60A ESC.

I know it's not a great setup but I'm always on a budget and it won't be run that often. I have a 21 and a 23 teeth steel pinions on the way from China to go with the 68t high speed gear set.

I think I ought to move this to builds. 

Or... Or.... I could build another one for the speed run. I have another white base and I do like your idea of using the aluminium blue bits for occasion road use and display.

Time for a good thunk. 😁

The postie-lady came today, bearing grey bags.

This won't be run very often, so it's only a cheap power plant, still 3s capable though. On a high speed 68t spur and 21/23t pinions, it should drag rectum. It looks pretty sturdy, with huge bearings and a 5mm shaft. It has two separate caps as well, which I didn't expect.

I've made some more suspension shafts to tack it all together, so it should be good for a little 2s pootle around the school yard soon.

GyURdoU.jpg

uhQnZl6.jpg

C0OuRMj.jpg

YnthCRK.jpg

BxyAkhA.jpg

• Like 2

It's just about finished. 

It's all a bit cramped in there but it all fits and ready for a gentle shakedown run. Nothing very quick, until I find a basher body.

If anyone has a new or used Neo Scorcher, Plasma Edge or something, new or used please give me a shout.

9P1n4IQ.jpg

hBAk9vh.jpg

75GJTFp.jpg

• Like 4