78Triumph

Has Tamiya ever re-released the Rough Rider?

From what I understand they never have, but I could be wrong.  If not, why do you think Tamiya never re-released it, especially since all it would really take is a new RR body.  They already have the parts from the Sand Scorcher and Fighting Buggy that share with the Rough Rider so it wouldn't take much.  Maybe I'm rambling...

8 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

From what I understand they never have, but I could be wrong.  If not, why do you think Tamiya never re-released it, especially since all it would really take is a new RR body.  They already have the parts from the Sand Scorcher and Fighting Buggy that share with the Rough Rider so it wouldn't take much.  Maybe I'm rambling...

It was almost a decade ago.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58441

And now you can find gold editions, silver editions, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the Rough Rider was the first SRB that they re-released. They re-released it as the Buggy Champ, which I believe is how this buggy was named in Japan?

Anyone know why they didn't revive the Rough Rider name? Possible copyright/trademark?

The only SRB that they haven't re-released is the Ford F-150 Ranger XLT.

- J

• Like 1

I've heard the joke about the Life Styles' Rough Rider rubbers, I just don't know if that is true or not. Who knows?

Still, Tamiya doesn't seem that interested in naming the re-res exactly like the original vehicles (I.E. Mountaineer and Mountain Rider). Myself, I am not against them not naming them the same, as some of them are nothing like the original vehicles. There are re-res that are very much like the original vehicles (Grasshopper, Hornet or Bull Head), while others are plain different vehicles with only looks in common (Bruiser and Mountain Rider).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I've heard the joke about the Life Styles' Rough Rider rubbers

:lol:  I've heard that too

Man I wish they would re- release the Rough Rider kit once more.  All the ones on ebay are expensive and usually nowhere near good condition.   Kicking myself for getting rid of the original I had when I was 19. 

• Like 1

RCMart and RCJaz have it, although its the silver edition

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-84187-buggy-champ-2009-silver-edition-wesc-p-33388.html?cPath=420_1183

https://www.rcjaz.co.nz/tamiya-84187-110-rc-buggy-champ-2009-silver-edition-p-90028908.html

They had the standard one about 6 months ago but the Buggy Champ/Rough Rider always seems harder to find than the Sand Scorcher 

• Like 1

i ordered a kit from rcmart before...I got it no problem ...just took a month...and im from Indiana...now is the time to pull the trigger on one if you are that serious..

looks like they have "9" left..

2 hours ago, skinned said:

i ordered a kit from rcmart before...I got it no problem ...just took a month...and im from Indiana...now is the time to pull the trigger on one if you are that serious..

looks like they have "9" left..

I find RCMarts shipping to be hit and miss, sometimes it takes a week, sometimes 4. Hobbyking are the same. RCJaz is a bit better and I have had a kit arrive in a week from them.

Strangely the USA and UK suppliers are great though, always around 10 days since I always choose the cheapest shipping option.

I realize this is an older thread but any recent rumors about Tamiya doing another rerelease of the Rough Rider or the Buggy Champ? 

For all the unfinished projects I have, I think an affordable rerelease like these would be a cause to order another kit.........

......thhhhhhaaaat I really don't need.  ;)

• Like 1

At some point they will make another rere run of the rough rider/buggy champ.  They could not use the rough rider name on the rere due to licensing issues.

13 hours ago, mike in pa said:

At some point they will make another rere run of the rough rider/buggy champ.  They could not use the rough rider name on the rere due to licensing issues.

It always baffles me about these licencing issues especially buggies like the rough rider and super champ because surely it was tamiya that introduced these names way back in the late 70s? And supershot now super hotshot etc although I've just answered my own question in my own head their:rolleyes:! Probably authenticity for the original? Yes I can understand decals with other manufacturers logos but names that tamiya have produced seem a bit odd? But then we do live in very peculiar times (putting it politely:wacko:)

On 11/23/2022 at 8:18 AM, moffman said:

It always baffles me about these licensing issues 

I think a lot of it depends on if Tamiya ever bothered to trademark the name when the original came out.   If they didn't and later down the road someone else does, then this sometime happens.    

This is true even for style/appearances.   Those of you across the pond may be familiar with the Land Rover Defender and the new Ineos Grenadier story and what just recently occurred there.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

I think a lot of it depends on if Tamiya ever bothered to trademark the name when the original came out.   If they didn't and later down the road someone else does, then this sometime happens.    

This is true even for style/appearances.   Those of you across the pond may be familiar with the Land Rover Defender and the new Ineos Grenadier story and what just recently occurred there.  

Oh I'm not familiar with that story about the land rover and lneos grenadier? Ignorant of me I don't even no what the lneos grenadier is? 

15 minutes ago, moffman said:

Oh I'm not familiar with that story.... 

Land Rover introduce a new Defender recently.   While it's a pretty impressive vehicle, most true off road enthusiasts think it got a way from it's true off road roots.   A wealthy entrepreneur contacted Land Rover and wanted to make an update version of their previous Defender.   He was told no by Land Rover.   The gentleman did some digging and found out Land Rover never trademarked the appearance of the previous Defender so he basically has built an updated version with the name Ineos Grenadier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Land Rover introduce a new Defender recently.   While it's a pretty impressive vehicle, most true off road enthusiasts think it got a way from it's true off road roots.   A wealthy entrepreneur contacted Land Rover and wanted to make an update version of their previous Defender.   He was told no by Land Rover.   The gentleman did some digging and found out Land Rover never trademarked the appearance of the previous Defender so he basically has built an updated version with the name Ineos Grenadier.

R very interesting! Who would have thought to trademark an actual appearance of a vehicle:o then I suppose you could trademark an appearance of anything and I dare say anyone but again I suppose that's what these famous popstars do to an extent? Very interesting eather way:D!