Sign in to follow this  
BBB Spread

GF01 owners..help... Heavy Dump w/ 3800 kv Castle Motor....Bent dogbones and stripped differential

So I decided to throw my Castle Creations 3800 KV into my Tamiya heavy dump. Of course the castle motor has tremendous tourqe , but I figured with the metal diffs all would be well.

Well after popping a few wheelies and hearing a hard clicking sound turns out the tourqe was causing the wheelies to hit on the wheelie bar so hard it's bent the dog bones, cut grooves in the drive cups (caused by the dog bones) and then finally ripped the rear diffs.

I know it's the rear diff because I took the front drive cups and dog bones off the front, and put them in the rear and even spinning the rear wheels by hand the differential won't engage under any moderate amount of tourqe.

I see folks run all kinds of brushless motors in this chassis, and usually anything below 4000 KV I've seen work well. 

Anyone else out there have this problem, and how did you deal with it? Are there any upgraded kits out there for the drive cups? I know hot racing makes the driveshafts and dog bones, but if I use steel for those I may need to do the same for the drive cups.

thought they sold hardened outputs via old TL01/TA01/TA02 parts. as for the diff, never had that happen to me before only way I could figure that would occur could be sudden reversing/braking-then full throttle. I have a pretty decent LRP brushless on my GF01 and havent really had any problems... Im sure it's probnably cause I try not to make it wheelie like that but that's just how I drive my cars if I do drive them.

• Like 1

if you have the programming kit adaptor for the castle motor, put all settings on minimium, especially punch setting and adjust your throttle curve so that acceleration occurs slowly, then you should have no problems

hardened diff cups are part no. 53218 i think

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. I dialed it back a little bit. I've got punch control at about 25% and total power at about 90%. Everything's working as it should be now. 2's is plenty 3s is ridiculous.

• Like 1

I assume it just ripped out the drives in the gears not the diff gears themselves? Pretty common on the manta ray ball diffs. 

you're correct.....Actually it was the dog bones, and the outdrive cups that they sit in.

I went ahead and updated to the hot racing set to give them a little more strength.

Interestingly,  I thought that was the case the first time, (hence my original story) so I moved the front set to the back, but forgot to put the dog bone in one of the wheels. Hence my comment about the differential not engaging. It's one of those dumb things that I spent troubleshooting, where I was actually the trouble.

• Haha 1

I've had the diff gears slip with my 4300kv 9T WT01 (same tranny internals). It turned out that packing it with a thicker HPI heavy duty grease solved that problem. The cups also wore badly but hardened cups cured that.