ALEXKYRIAK

AlexKyriak’s Formula Neo Scorcher [ TT02B ]

@ALEXKYRIAK superb work.  

Just about to get a neo scorcher and just love this thread.

to get that colour you sprayed orange then silver then black?

keen to do similar in pink (building with my daughter) so should that be done with an iridescent tamiya paint? 

Love the wheels and custom ride height. May well be tapping you up for the dimensions!

any update on running it?

• Thanks 1

Finally got the chance to run this build. Whilst all of the doom and gloom and Planet Lockdown is very much present in our minds, one minor silver lining is that there is a totally empty, smooth and level car park 5mins walk from my house. Unbelievable!  

An actually empty car park..... Never seen one before with my own eyes, outside of those mythical empty car parks you see in the US on YouTube videos. Wow. 

Formula NeoScorcher

Anyway I can report it ran really well. Super precise, the stiffened suspension worked really well. I was concerned about the low ride height but there is very little chassis contact with the road at all - there are some scratches but I think this is from when it ran over a small rain grating depression in the asphalt. 

The 10.5 motor really flies,  the grip off the line is very immediate. I suspect it understeers on power at full speed, at mid speeds it’s pretty arrow sharp, quite pointy feeling. I am itching to spend more time with it to learn its characteristics. Feels like I’d like the rear to slide slightly to counteract the front understeer at higher speeds  

The Proline tyres held up very well, whilst the asphalt is pretty level and smooth topographically, the aggregate is slightly course.  I was worried the wheels would slip inside the tyre but these held firm.  

I had to play a bit with the steering trim just to set it up on the day. It was tracking a little to one side.  

Formula NeoScorcher

I didn’t get any decent photo or video (these pics are all I could get), but the good/bad news is that the car park is probably going to empty for the next few months. So whilst the world goes to pot at least I might be able to dial out the understeer.

Formula NeoScorcher

Formula NeoScorcher

Will take my football training cones out next trip and do a Tamiya Manual special ‘examples of circuit’ layout! Always absolutely loved this page as a kid!

Tamiya Guide

hope you guys are all well and safe :) 

edit: @Munkeyfeet yes I think it was orange then silver with a black backer. The orange  was a metallic Orange from the standard tamiya PS paint range.  Not sure how you might replicate the look in pink although there probably is a metallic pink somewhere for polycarbonate. 

• Like 7

I loved those old RC manuals; I wish I still had mine. The standard model catalogues were also works of art.

The car looks great; I have a set of low-profile tyres for my TT02B. Its not as low as yours but its still fun to drive on ashpalt. I might need to explore some of the local carparks for some apocalyspe RC fun.

@Munkeyfeet I tried to get a metallic pink on my TT02B. I used the Tamiya Translucent Pink, with a Bright Silver (the one with flecks, not the smooth silver) and a black backer ... but I got inpatient and mucked it up. I did three coats of the pink - the first two looked fantastic; but I got impatient and mucked it up - I did a third coat of pink before the 2nd dried and it went dark. I hoped the silver would fix it, but of course it didn't, and then I got impatient again and put the black on before the last coat of silver dried and it got even darker. The result is not what I wanted (pink metallic) but is a sort of metallic dark maroon; with the blue (which I got right after the problems with pink) and white it actually looks pretty nice. There's photos of it on my project page. 
I seem to have a problem with impatience and spray painting; I mucked up the simple red on my M-chassis Mito and it's now dark red instead of nice bright Alfa red. Oh well, I have a Mini, a Hornet, a Comical Frog and a Comical Hornet to tide me over during the apocalyspe. Maybe I'll get them right. :D

That's so cool! Reminds me of a super sized mini 4wd.   I probably missed it in your original post, but what wheels are you using? I"m guessing they are proline wheels? 

Morning

Hope you are well, firstly what a build your formula scorcher is, its that good im just starting my on version of it :).... i bet you get asked this a million times but would it be possible for you to send me the shock tower designs over, i have spoke to fibrelyte who they said with your permission i can have some made which would be awesome.

If you can help that would be appreciated

keep up the good work 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, micksid said:

Morning

Hope you are well, firstly what a build your formula scorcher is, its that good im just starting my on version of it :).... i bet you get asked this a million times but would it be possible for you to send me the shock tower designs over, i have spoke to fibrelyte who they said with your permission i can have some made which would be awesome.

If you can help that would be appreciated

keep up the good work 

I second this. Just signed up to the forum just to post on this build! Great work. Car looks insane 

• Thanks 1

I love this design/ idea @ALEXKYRIAK would you be happy to share your carbon shock tower designs, so I can order a pair. I promise it won't be orange.

• Thanks 1

I hate to revive an old thread but this car is too cool not to revive lol. @ALEXKYRIAK I sent you a message. I hope to get my own built soon. 

• Like 1

Lol thanks @Apexape yes please send me a message, no problems, you too @Mh1986. Would love to see other takes on this build, it was definitely great fun putting it all together. 👍 

12 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Lol thanks @Apexape yes please send me a message, no problems, you too @Mh1986. Would love to see other takes on this build, it was definitely great fun putting it all together. 👍 

Thanks @Apexape for resurrecting this thread I have been looking for it for ages. Couldn’t remember the right words to search for without TT02 in it. Tooooo many hits. @ALEXKYRIAK your build inspired me at the time. The Neo Scorcher has such an F1 vibe. This is my take on it. Very basic chassis but hopefully it works….IMG_4223.jpg
IMG_4224.jpg
IMG_4225.jpg
need to make a wedge to level the rear wing like yours.

• Like 4

@ALEXKYRIAK I tried messaging you but I think your inbox is full. It says you can’t receive messages. If you still have the shock tower files and with your permission would I be able to get them so I can order a set from fiberlyte. I failed in spectacular fashion attempting to make my own from a carbon sheet and have modified a set from an old touring car to work for the time being but would really like a set like the ones you designed. Thanks. 

@Busdriver wow! Very nice, love the elf, Honda and camel logos, and that nose piece. Very f1. 

@Apexape I have PMed you on the shock tower pieces. Let me know if you got it? Cleared my inbox a bit so messages can come through. 

Thanks @ALEXKYRIAK, I've kind of gone off on a tangent since posting on here and have sold my TT02B, I am however attempting to build a DT03 grass hopper and a DT02 grass hopper 2, work so far

PXL_20230505_143526411.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 6:17 AM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Hi all, so am posting here with my ‘experiment’, a road going TT02B, modded to be a low ride height asphalt race car.

I was googling TT02B road going versions and I found one guy who had done an MS with home made aluminium damper plates to drop the car low. So it had been done, now I could properly commit to the project.

Am I that "one guy?" :) Dug into my archives .... found my old TT02B MS with a Dual Ridge body. 

20170922-152424-SM.jpg
20171009-160638-SM.jpg
20171009-160648-SM.jpg

• Like 6

@OldSchoolRC1 tbh I don’t remember, but it looks like you might well be! I remember I didn’t see it via Tamiya Club. Nice work there 👍 

I built that back in 2017, can't believe it was that long ago. I sadly ended up selling it without ever running it. 

Ironically this and all the other TT02B threads lately have sucked me in and now I've ordered another one...a fresh BR to play with. Coming full circle I guess! :) 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:29 PM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Am I that "one guy?" :) Dug into my archives .... found my old TT02B MS with a Dual Ridge body. 

20170922-152424-SM.jpg
20171009-160638-SM.jpg
20171009-160648-SM.jpg

Nice tires. Are they just bald Tamiya Spikes? If yes, how you prepared them? What about grip?

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

Nice tires. Are they just bald Tamiya Spikes? If yes, how you prepared them? What about grip?

Grip would be great on a totally smooth tarmac surface. 

7 hours ago, skom25 said:

Yes, just cut the spikes off with a flush cut nipper thing and then chucked in a drill and sanded smooth. No idea how they grip unfortunately, I sold the project before running it. 

This is an absolutely gorgeous build I’m planning my 2nd TT-02B build and this is highly inspiring! The TT-02B chassis is a fantastic chassis to work with. Excellent work!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1