Mokei Kagaku

New from Tamiya: Land Rover Defender 90

Some upcoming releases:

RC Kit:
58657 Land Rover Defender 90 (CC-01 chassis)...

RC Parts:
47378 Ferrari F12tdf Lightweight Body Parts Set
54803 TB-05 Carbon Front Damper Stay (3mm)
54804 TB-05 Carbon Rear Damper Stay (3mm)
54805 TB-05 Carbon Side Members (2 Pcs., 2.5mm)
54806 TB-05 Front One Way (40T) (Front Motor)
54816 TDT-03 Reinforced M-Parts (Damper Stay Mount)
54819 Urethane Bumper XL (black) (for TT-01E/02)

God knows what TDT-03 will be?!?

land-rover-defender-90_1240_4.jpg

Ferrari 312T3 discussion moved here;
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86846-47374-ferrari-312t3/

• Like 9

Finally a Land Rover Defender from Tamiya!:wub: will look great on a MST CFX/CMX.

Cannot wait to see the Defender! I wonder how it will compare with the RC4WD version. Is there any confirmation that it is a hard body or lexan yet?

13 minutes ago, Leckster said:

Finally a Land Rover Defender from Tamiya!:wub: will look great on a MST CFX/CMX.

MST have also got a version of the Suzuki Jimny coming out soon on the CFX.

1.jpg

• Like 6

That Defender will probably be a lexan version like the FJ etc. but if the quality and detail is like the 2CV definite buy.

• Like 1

Arrgh, why a Defender? Everybody already did a Defender. Give us a Series II or III.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Arrgh, why a Defender? Everybody already did a Defender. Give us a Series II or III.

Agreed. Sick of D90s, prefer series 1 and 2. I want spare tyre on bonnet/hood, air vents under windscreen, sliding windows, recessed grilles, 5 in wide wheels/off road tyres. Desert sand warped panels with rivets everywhere... The Real landrovers, not some glorified a/c'ed Chelsea tractor!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, berman said:

Agreed. Sick of D90s, prefer series 1 and 2. I want spare tyre on bonnet/hood, air vents under windscreen, sliding windows, recessed grilles, 5 in wide wheels/off road tyres. Desert sand warped panels with rivets everywhere... The Real landrovers, not some glorified a/c'ed Chelsea tractor!

I always thought a Series I would make a great alternate WR02 model. Make it right hand drive, switch Willy's steering/shifting arms around, call it Wild Nigel or something...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

God knows what TDT-03 will be?!?

I suspect a typo. DT-03 front damper stay mounts come on the M sprue, and GPM have had alloy ones on the market for a while. I suspect Tamiya are bringing out their own upgraded ones. 

• Like 1

I would love to see a Disco 1 or 2 from anybody.  I have to agree the Defender feels overdone.  Then again as a former Land Rover mechanic I'll probably end up with one.

16 hours ago, berman said:

To be fair, the Defender name was issued in 1990, back when they were still proper Land Rovers with vents under the windscreen, (optional) tyres on the bonnet, interiors best described as 'utilitarian', air conditioning provided via leaks in the panels and doors that went 'kercrunk-rattle-rattle' when closed.

Hopefully the new body doesn't have the bulbous snout of the latest Defenders...

I'm actually torn by this one - firstly I love it because it's Tamiya, it's CC01, and it's Land Rover, but there's a hint of 'why still no a CC02 with a solid front axle, Tamiya..?'

I know there are other good LR bodies out there but they're either very expensive or hard to source.  I missed out on a really good 1:10 scale Discovery body on a toy-grade RC on a local trade site last year.

Id love to see a hard body D110. British Army issue with all scale equipment... the spare fuel can, spade, pick axe, spare wheel and the other bits and pieces with interior. I dont want much. Lol

Polycarb shell, nasty nasty wheels

Grille looks like a abs insert though :)

34369245_2157925400901622_7483706339747692544_n.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Polycarb shell, nasty nasty wheels

Funny really. Tamiya re-released the Mu with "improper" wheels, then releases the Defender with the wheels of the original release Mu! And in both cases, it looks stupid. The body just begs for other wheels, and tires with a more aggressive pattern. It's got potential though. I just wish it would have been a Series 1 or 2 instead. Also, I'm a bit disappointed about the opaque lenses for the parking and turning lights.  Being simple domes, thankfully not too hard to rectify.

• Like 1

So same old chassis, same old plastic bushings, ugly wheels, but lucky us, it should include the fancy new $230 or so MAP price for US buyers!!  At first glance I can't say the body is any better than that on the Traxxas.

Sorry, just had to complain a bit there.  I may get the body for ab MST CMX build.

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Funny really. Tamiya re-released the Mu with "improper" wheels, then releases the Defender with the wheels of the original release Mu! And in both cases, it looks stupid. The body just begs for other wheels, and tires with a more aggressive pattern. It's got potential though. I just wish it would have been a Series 1 or 2 instead. Also, I'm a bit disappointed about the opaque lenses for the parking and turning lights.  Being simple domes, thankfully not too hard to rectify.

Bizarre, but seems to be par for Tamiya :rolleyes: Their completely random decisions with wheels has become sort of trademark for them at this point :lol:

If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have put money on the Hummer wheels being the choice for the Defender, but nooooooo, suddenly Tamiya have found the original Isuzu moulds just in time for... the Defender. Lol.

I realize scale-offroad doesn't have enough appeal within Japan to inspire much development with the old CC01 chassis, but it almost seems like they have no idea what this crowd wants to begin with. The Defender is so obvious of a choice -- almost as if they just did a cursory Google search and said, "that'll do" <_<

Thankfully the body appears to be of Tamiya benchmark quality (crisp and correctly proportioned), and as you've pointed out, easy to massage some detail in!

• Like 1

I like the idea of a grille moulding given the state of the grille on my Bowler build...that needed curves of the like produced by @Truck Norris in his 959 build.

Does it have light buckets too?

Surely they could make some simple stamped steel wheels like the RC4WD 1.55 landies?

Though the late 90s Defender I rolled around in on a road construction project had metallic red paintwork and chunky 5 spoke alloys :o

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 6:07 AM, Blista said:

MST have also got a version of the Suzuki Jimny coming out soon on the CFX.

1.jpg

And as usual, the announcement of a new CC01 from Tamiya leaves me wanting a different manufacturer's offering. I already have a Pajero, and an original MU and I swear to God everyone needs to stop making Land Rover and Toyota shells forever.

5 hours ago, OCD said:

Bizarre, but seems to be par for Tamiya :rolleyes: Their completely random decisions with wheels has become sort of trademark for them at this point :lol:

It's indeed strange. Also, I don't understand why Tamiya hardly makes any news wheels anymore. For every new body, old wheels are recycled.

5 hours ago, OCD said:

If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have put money on the Hummer wheels being the choice for the Defender,

Me too! I didn't expect any new wheels for the Defender for the reason above, but anything but Hummer wheels seemed extremely unlikely.

5 hours ago, OCD said:

Thankfully the body appears to be of Tamiya benchmark quality (crisp and correctly proportioned), and as you've pointed out, easy to massage some detail in!

Yes, after Tamiya3speeder's comment above about not being any better than the Traxxas body af first glance, I did a direct comparison and he is indeed right. But when compared carefully, it's clear that the Tamiya body has crisper details, better door shut lines and generally is superior. 

That said, I normally like SWB-versions of off-roaders and SUV's better than the LWB-versions, but the Land Rover S1-3/Defender is an exception. I've always liked the LWB more, ever since I played with Matchbox and Corgi Land Rovers as a kid.

• Like 1

I would have picked that Landy up in a flash if it was a) a nice hardbody, or b) a new scale/interesting chassis.

I have to assume the body-swap business model is a winner for Tamiya - but it does take some of the thrill out of it for me when all you're getting is a new lexan shell over an identical chassis. I'm sure economics and margins have changed a lot since the 80s - but I always thought it was much cooler when Tamiya took common PARTS and shared them across different models (e.g. the "Racing Buggy Damper Set" is used by the Sand Scorcher, the Wild Willy, the original Hilux. And I do appreciate the irony as both the Scorcher and the Hilux chassis were re-used a few times - but they get a pass because they're hard bodies ;)

I have a 1:1 Defender and am actually quite pleased with this release. Having had a couple of the RC4WD and RCModelex Defenders with the hard bodies, I actually want a lexan one that is quicker to get painted and therefore less of a concern when running. The hard body is also rather heavy which has lead to a few big rollovers. It is soul destroying to see a hard body that you have spent many hours on rolling down a rocky slope!

I think I shall try to get one of these bodies for my MST CFX and slap on some nice aggressive wheels and give it some serious hard driving. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Does it have light buckets too?

Yes, for the 2 headlights and all 6 lights in the rear (taillights, turning lights, reversing light and foglamp). Unfortunately for the (front) parking lights and turnings lights as they are part of the opaque grille.

I wonder if it will fit gelande wheels or outback wheels because I don't like the ones that it comes with