gordb

58028 Hilux Build

Those wheels look lovely. I remember doing my Hilux restoration and finding the locking hubs the most satisfying part of the build.

Quick tip for the tires... if you buy some glycerine from your local chemise and soak them in it for a week or two, they will come out gorgeously black and very very supple.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, GTodd said:

It seems theyve made most of the parts.

You could definitely do a "58028 inspired" re-release with the parts that are shared or similar, but my guess is they're more different than the same.

My guess would be that only common or inter-changeable parts would be:

• The gearbox and motor are different but probably interchangeable? (would need to confirm mounting holes)
  • Axles probably (haven't check width and the front one-way binding on the actual axle shaft itself)
  • Shackle mounts

Much past that, and everything changes (from the solid chassis frames and cross members, to the radio box, to the body, to the steering/gear shift mechanisms, to the hubs and tyres, to the bumpers, etc).

Again just my guess - would love a more scientific answer!

Still, Tamiya have showed 3-speed re-releases are a thing - so bring on the original Hilux and the Blazer!

I actually made an impulse eBay purchase on one of these. I absolutely love it. It started out in rough condition missing some pieces. More eBay purchases later and it’s actually 95% complete. 

34 minutes ago, Eddie344 said:

Very nice , was there shocks in the kit? And the million dollar question , is it for sale with the box?

Shocks were an optional extra - same as the Sand Scorcher shocks as far as I can recall.

• Like 1

So howd this finish up? Where are the pics of that gorgeous body?

On 6/16/2018 at 7:36 PM, hedge said:

Really good thread had me searching for another 3sp but NO.... well not today :-)

Those springs will never soften, they are the big failure on this model, you simply can’t get articulation. When big T re-re’d the Toyota aka 58397 they addressed it with configurable spring sets, these do work well and you can tune the articulation. The other thing that gets over looked with these as runners is the battery, that big old 6v did not just add run time but weight - much needed weight over the back axels. If you use a modern Lipo then add lead to make up the missing weight.

The only other “I want to run it” comment I would add is that the top 2wd speed is too fast for the trucks handling capability. Low 2wd and high 2wd along with locked hubs are both really good enough for running - I certainly had a lot of fun with my blazer.

You should be proud of this thread, it’s a great read with top picks - keep it I am sure your kids or kids kids would like to read it one day.

What ever happened to @gordb ? Such excellent well documented work, just left half finished? I hope he/she is OK.

I Would not normally quote myself but found it funny, I just bought a Hilux from @53HRA was searching the web for stuff, found this thread and read from article to article, only to find my approx 3 years younger self already trying to scratch that 3spd itch. Anyway will start a new thread soon. gordb I hope your well.

Awesome build! I can't wait to see the body.

- I've just noticed that this is an old thread.

Hey @hedge I (he) is still here ... but actually very good at leaving things half finished ;)

I got stuck where I always get stuck ... painting the body. I was so enormously afraid of painting the pristine vintage body, I actually sourced a second vintage body set that I could paint and run, with the comfort of knowing the real body was safe and sound until I knew what to do with it.

It took me a while to find the parts (and I'm still short the body rails) - but I did actually start painting it in the absolute most boring way imaginable. So look forward to seeing that.

My other challenge is that the gaskets leak - so debating whether to try again there, or just bite the bullet and silicone it as nature intended.

This Hilux will see the trails this summer, and I'll make sure to add an update here.

• Like 4

Glad to hear all is well and look forward to your updates in the future.

I wouldn't be afraid to hit those tires with some 303 if not make a 303 bath and soak them for good measure.