Calvino

Tamiya Nissan King Cab Gear Diff Upgrade

So after finally getting hold of a pretty good condition Kind Cab I started to read how delicate the gear box was. Sure enough when I rebuild the truck I found that the diff was slipping and half of the internals were missing, including the thrust balls. I managed to get most of the parts I needed from RC bearings but it still seemed a little delicate. I read there where a number of ways to sort the problem all of which were either rare or expensive. Super Astute gear box, RC10 stealth upgrade and Lethal weapon belt system or even the very rare Thorpe Dirt Burners gears. I then saw a mention that the Avante differential was the same size gear pitch and teeth as the King Cab, it was also a gear differential.

Having looked at the manual I figured that if i could get hold of the Avante diff parts i could try to make it fit the King Cab. Finally managed to get hold of them at the right price and proceeded to put the diff together.The Avante diff is offset so one of the output is longer that the other. I attached the short side of the diff to my electric drill in an attempt to make a makeshift lathe, using a sharp chisel I skimmed the excess plastic off until the bearing fit up close to the diff. I then cut off the access plastic to the same length as the short side. This replicating the Astute/King diff.
It took a while and would certainly have been easier using a lathe but it fits really well.

Put the rear end of the truck back together and planning to give a test run this aft when the batteries are charged. Hopefully the upgrade should make the transmission a bit more robust.

King Cab 6.jpg

King Cab 1.jpg

King Cab 2.jpg

King Cab 3.jpg

King Cab 4.jpg

• Like 1

What Parts (Partnumbers) do you need to Build that Diff? I'm very interested in that Fix.

I have 3 King Cab Diffs here an i absolutely hat that Diff because all of them are damaged in some Way. (Damaged Shims, melted Plastic, Broken screws)

I`ve successfully rebuild only one of them with new Shims and Ball Diffgrease and are not tooo confident that i will last very long, even with the Silvercan.

I love and hate the King Cab. I love the look of that truck and how it handles. But i hate the Diff and i`m not skilled enough to paint the Body that is laying around.....

I wish that @TruckNorris would be my Neighbour, so he could help me with that Shell and the Paintwork

10 hours ago, Ann3x said:

Isnt the avante gear smaller (less teeth)? How does it mesh?

FYI this is how I solved the issue for good.

The gear pitch is the same however the astute gear has 31 teeth and the avante has 30 so it is slightly smaller. Seems to mesh and run fine so far. I suppose only time will tell but so far it is working really well.

1 hour ago, whahooo said:

What Parts (Partnumbers) do you need to Build that Diff? I'm very interested in that Fix.

I have 3 King Cab Diffs here an i absolutely hat that Diff because all of them are damaged in some Way. (Damaged Shims, melted Plastic, Broken screws)

I`ve successfully rebuild only one of them with new Shims and Ball Diffgrease and are not tooo confident that i will last very long, even with the Silvercan.

I love and hate the King Cab. I love the look of that truck and how it handles. But i hate the Diff and i`m not skilled enough to paint the Body that is laying around.....

I wish that @TruckNorris would be my Neighbour, so he could help me with that Shell and the Paintwork

The part numbers you need are

Avante parts numbers:

19335053 - Plastic Gear Bag (BG)

19405431 - Differential Gear Bag (PD)

you also need the diff screws which are M2 2mm x 6mm countersunk screws. You need 4 of them. You can either get the screw bag which is 

19465812 - Screw Bag C (BC)

alternativly I used Kay’s Fasteners on eBay.

M2 (2mmØ) POZI COUNTERSUNK MACHINE SCREWS A2 STAINLESS POZIDRIVE CSK BOLTS,KAY'S https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F160933135998

Also used anti wear grease inside the diff.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much.

That is some helpful Information there.