MICHAELs TopForce17

Should I . . . Rc10b6

I currently have a top force 2017 kit upgraded with full ball bearings, y r motor mount, gpm 12mm hex, df03 shocks(arriving soon), 50529 4wd gears, ts d99x servo, rr19t steel pinion,7.5 brushless trackstar,120a toro esc and body still needs paint.

lately been looking at the team associated Rc10b6 and how much more advanced it looks than my top force.

I don’t race at a track and my driving areas are a school field and a large park area behind a school. Also backyard or in front of my house.

the only way I could get an Rc10b6 is to sell my top force I would keep the motor and electronics though. I would lose money on the top force from trying to sell it. 

so what would you do keep the top force or go for a more modern buggy like the Rc10b6?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGCAT

If you only run for fun I don't see the point in buying a intricate race buggy that would need it's slipper and diff etc fettled with and rebuilt every so often to get the best from it. I say keep the top force to run and save a little to buy the B6, or even look for a 2nd hand one? 

James.

• Thanks 1

Also, consider that modern race buggies are typically optimised for modern smooth track surfaces, while your bashing areas are more akin to the rough surfaces found on tracks back in the day. Your Top Force its likely to be the better basher anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Have to agree with the above. Recently bought a Cat K2 (great price at Modelsport) out of fascination of how far buggies have progressed and have to admit that for bashing (I don't race mine either) it's way to much car! I'm very fortunate that I can compare it to a Cat XLS, Dual Ridge, Supershot and a Neo Fighter and will say that yes it's obviously way beyond the capabilities of the others but not necessarily more fun. Having said that I'm so glad I bought it as it was a pleasure build and run and really cool to tinker with so I understand the dilemma! 

So I would keep the Top Force, save up for a more advanced buggy then once you have the money pick which ever more advanced one captures your imagination as they will only get more finely tuned in the future. 

• Thanks 1

I would keep the Top Force too, probably because I'm currently scheming how to add one to my fleet. I race current Kyosho 2wd and 4wd buggies and they are amazing pieces of kit. I bash a mix of TT02B, Boomerang, Novafox, Monster Beetle and these cars sometimes see the track, cos I can.

There is no comparison between the old and the new, the new are amazing. However, it requires a decent track to show up the difference. I have as much fun bashing on my backyard track with the Boomerang (pinnacle of RC) as I do running the Lazer ZX6 at the track, it really depends on the mood etc.

If you aren't racing and can't access a track then keep the Top Force. If you can access a track then find a way to keep the Top Force and buy the RC10.

Bear in mind the 6.1 is out now so if your heart is set on an RC10 then check out the racer forums, there will be a heap of 6's for sale secondhand.

Actually right now I would throw my Lazer against a wall trying to get the new motor and esc running, while the Novafox did everything perfectly in the backyard!

• Thanks 1

I think RC is same as 1:1 cars, the modern stuff is head and shoulders over the old stuff and it is mainly in the suspension (think Rally cars, Group B and WRC similar power but modern cars soooo much quicker and a lot is suspension and transmission). I have a few Tamiya kits and good fun, but I have a RC10B6D that I use on a field near me with short grass. The RC10 is leagues ahead of any Tamiya I have. If I go to the field with the kids I would take a Blackfoot or similar to "play" with but if I go by myself I always take the RC10.

It rides the bumps so much better and I feel I get so much more out of using that and learn more than I ever will with Tamiyas bouncing around all over the place, and I am not picking on Tamiya, I love them, just think they are at a different level.

I don't race and never have done but the RC10 I love and I have just bought a Cat L1 for 4WD as I feel the modern stuff is that much better.

As has been said above probably best to save up and keep the Top Force but if you do get a B6 I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mark_biddle said:

It rides the bumps so much better and I feel I get so much more out of using that and learn more than I ever will with Tamiyas bouncing around all over the place, and I am not picking on Tamiya, I love them, just think they are at a different level.

I agree that on a track, when the car is dialed you can learn a lot about driving, car placement, clipping apexes etc. Two things happen when I get behind the transmitter of a modern car (especially when just bashing). First, I'm amazed how it goes where I point it and responds to my inputs. Then, after the initial amazement, I quickly get bored. I guess I find the old bouncing Tamiyas more "edge of your seat" fun. You have to concentrate and anticipate more. My original RC10 is neat, but I prefer the "just a bit rougher" Fox for tearing around out back. Also, the Top Force, while far from modern, drives fairly well. The difference wouldn't be as huge as going from a Hornet to a B6, for example. Keep the Top Force, besides, its in your screen name.;)

• Thanks 1

Thanks all that replied, I appreciate it.

I do like my top force and seeing how it’s almost completed I have decided to keep it. Pending trimming the body and paint hoping to give it a run soon.

• Like 1

A well sorted Top Force is pretty much the pinnacle for vintage Tamiya 4WD, not including non kit race specials,  I think that you will be very surprised at how well it performs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1