Baddon

Display case idea

I am considering putting my Tamiya cars on display. Can anyone who has them on display show me how you present them and if so what you used?

Case, shelves, racks etc?

I know some people use shelves from Ikea with glass doors.  Check out this guys display, it's sweet:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've heard nothing but good things about the IKEA cabinets, if Mrs SCN ever let me put my cars on display in the living room that's what I'd use to display 'em. 

• Thanks 1

Hi I use ikea billy bookcases for my cars even my 1/14 scale trucks fit on them (minus the trailers) ,the only problem is my clodbuster is too wide to fit on them.

The shelves have adjustable heights and they are available in various colours 

Check out the picture in my showroom for an idea of what they look like!

I use the Ikea one shown in the above videos for my 1:18's, in terms of 1/10 Tamiya's though you'd have the take the side glass panels out in order to fit most in. examples like the Hornet don't even fit at an angle but then again for what you get it's very cheap.

I use 'floating shelves' for most of mine now but the Argos glass cabinets are the best I've used but I stupidly got rid of them.. they're severely over priced too;

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6141152

Probably the worst photo ever but gives an idea of space, TA01 190e;

iho3cTc.png

• Like 2

put some buggies in there just cause well have to now dont I....... just need to get the news shells all done!!

20181126_182942

I had to take a side out of each as otherwise the buggies are sort of squashed in (esp the Madcap) This also lets me angle the cars as looks better.

I've got the Ikea Detolf cabinets too. I bought them after Glenn (as per the Tamiya Legends vid above) showed off an earlier setup of his cabinets (I think it was part 3 or 4). Here's a quick pic of my setup:

Image may contain: indoor

I'm actually in the process of rearranging my room so these cabinets are going to be broken down temporarily so that my desk can go there. As you can see I've built them into an L shape cabinet which, for the most part, worked quite well for me. Until last night I had my Clod up top in the corner as it's the largest model in my collection and wouldn't really fit anywhere else. My ORV trucks were lined up neatly next to it and they all looked quite good up there.

• Like 1

"Fill the shocks with washers"?  

I guess he's going "fully static display."  (I wonder if Mr. Tamiya thinks that there is a market for full display versions? I wouldn't mind a fully static version of Willys M38 and Avante in a smaller scale like 1/2 or 3/4 size.  Only those two. I have M38, but oddly, I don't really want Avante. But the shape of it is pleasing) 

I'm curious as to how he keeps the tires from going flat.  (Rotate them every month?)  I think he could maybe 3D print a couple of clear stands to support the weight from between left and right tires.  That way, tires won't get the full weight, springs don't get compressed, and no need to fill the shocks with washers.  If would be a shame to see all those museum quality cars go flat on their tires...  

28 minutes ago, Juggular said:

"Fill the shocks with washers"? 

Washers? Was that in the "Tamiya Legends" vid? I haven't watched the whole of that one so I must've missed that. I remember a whole bunch of people on FB recommended using stands to avoid flat spots on his tyres but he didn't seem keen on using any. Anyhoo, he's actually sold off all of that collection and is in the process of building another now that he's moved abroad.

• Like 1

The main reason for the washers was so the buggies sat lower (like when loaded with a battery) esp as he had added extra shelves and needed the cars to take up less height.

I was thinking about getting a clear plastic tube and cutting it up as needed to reduce load on tires. this would also give me the option to make the cars tilt if wanted to look a bit more dynamic.

I already have the extra shelves I just need the additional shelf supports from eBay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Washers? Was that in the "Tamiya Legends" vid? I haven't watched the whole of that one so I must've missed that. I remember a whole bunch of people on FB recommended using stands to avoid flat spots on his tyres but he didn't seem keen on using any. Anyhoo, he's actually sold off all of that collection and is in the process of building another now that he's moved abroad.

From about 3:33, he explains draining the oil and filling the shocks with washers.  He sold all that?  Couldn't he store them and ship them later?  He took a lot of efforts to get them all sorted.  I'm sure there will be a few he'll regret selling.  

How many cars do you need to display? If it is just a couple of favourites, you could look at these...

http://www.airframed.co.uk/displaycases.htm

They are originally made for people who display O gauge locomotives which are typically 60cm long, but I have been in touch with him and he can make them to any size you want. As a guide price, a case for my Fighting Buggy was £75 for clear glass all round or £85 if you want the back panel mirrored.

You can then just place them on shelves, coffee tables etc around the house and really impress your wife :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

He sold all that?  Couldn't he store them and ship them later?  He took a lot of efforts to get them all sorted.

I don't know the exact story but I think he needed the money for the move itself so probably didn't have much choice.

2 hours ago, Baddon said:

I already have the extra shelves I just need the additional shelf supports from eBay.

Where did you get your shelves from? What type of shelves (glass, plastic, wood) and, if you don't mind me asking, how much were they?

I've been slowly acquiring old Detolf cabinets just for the glass shelves, only managed to get two extra sets so far, but luck and prices haven't been in my favour since I'd started looking for them last year. Probably all the hobbyists out there having the same idea/inspiration at the same time. It also doesn't help that Ikea raised the price of a new cabinet by £10 late last year.

• Like 1

I was VERY lucky and found a local selling 4 cases. 

I went to get 2 (what I wanted) but did a sweet deal on 3 for £60. 

BUT he had packaged them and all the bits to build them as a job lot so just let all 5 go for same price (hence I have the spare shelves as I will only ever have 2.

If not I would have went to a local plastic supplier and got some acrylic ones cut to size to match.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

So, let me get this straight, you got 4 or 5 for £60? Either way that's pretty sweet.

4 second hand for £60 yes. Sticky sweet!

• Like 1

You need to leave room for a decent stand under most vintage models or you’ll warp tyre walls on increasingly expensive period rubber.

Ditto not placing a display in direct sunlight or near a radiator - you’ll bleach / deform old plastics - or in unheated garages / sheds ... moderate cold is normally ok but not in remotely damp air. 

Ikea bookcases or integrated shelves with top lights / glass fronts both have enough room - and are affordable / pretty neat in calming other halves ... 

• Like 1

@SuperChamp82  Its in a corner that gets little sun light. I intend to put something under each to reduce load on the tires.

Its in a large airy hall just about as far from the radiator that it can be.

Also on the tires I intent to have regular feeding of the rubber with silicon spray. If it can keep caravan window rubbers nice and flexible and stop them degrading it should help the tires. Also makes em glossy. Only one I have actually done this with above is the MadCap.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I splurged out on an Ikea Fabrikor cabinet this afternoon, plus an LED light for inside, that works by remote control! - hours of fun!

i-9cbvTJs-XL.jpg

i-vHLGtPL-XL.jpg

for info. it's big enough [inside] to keep the Crawlers which are around 17-18 inches long (the shelves themselves are 19" x 15"), although I think it will work better with my three 'definitive' Tamiyas: The SRB Cage Racer, Tow Mater and the Stumpkamper which are all slightly smaller/shorter - once they come over to the US from the UK*.

Right, back to work on getting that Jeep finished eh?

Jenny x

*edit. (July 2019) With my Tamiya Trio now in place:

i-gTb55dD-XL.jpg

• Like 4

I am having a whole room racked out in our new house by a local carpenter. Cabinets are a non starter for me due to the amount I have (250). It should look good when done.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 6:14 AM, acprc said:

I am having a whole room racked out in our new house by a local carpenter. Cabinets are a non starter for me due to the amount I have (250). It should look good when done.

Have you got any pictures of that? Is it finished by now?