Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

My TRF 801 twins

Good Afternoon all.

For your enjoyment here are my 801 Twins.  I got both of them about 6 years ago when Tamiya was selling them super cheap on their scratch and dent site. The 801XT has a few performance mods via Tamiya: Short arms and CVDs, Aloy braces, and titanium shock shafts.  I also coverted to brushless, powered by a castle creations 2200kv motor powered by a 4S pack.  For backyard bashing Im using Proline Onroad tires.  For the track I use proline city blocks.  Ill be trying a new track this year and I plan on using this and its twin.  I dont really see too much difference between these and the modern alternatives.

The 801X took me longer to finish then I had ever planned. I just finished it a few weeks ago.  There are no mods to it, I built it to one of Ryan Lutz's set up sheets. It is powered by the LRP 28 that powered the XT back in the day, servos are savox and Im using a Bitty MP9 painted body as I am not that good painting bodies, would love to find some one to paint up the stock ody box art. Im runing some cheap onroad tires I got off ebay, for offroad it also sports city blocks. If my local track wont alow the LRP due to its size Ill be on the hunt for a good afordable 21. 

2818z28.jpg

2nkjvqt.jpg

2vxg749.jpg

2ylvehj.jpg

• Like 9

GTodd, I have plans to build my 801X buggy with a nitro motor just because I don't have anything else that is nitro.  How messy is running an engine in this buggy?

Also, nice tires on the 801XT truggy -- I have the same ones on mine!

6 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

GTodd, I have plans to build my 801X buggy with a nitro motor just because I don't have anything else that is nitro.  How messy is running an engine in this buggy?

Also, nice tires on the 801XT truggy -- I have the same ones on mine!

GO NITRO. Having a brushless version already its nice to have the nitro version.  Nitro isnt bad at all.  Id recomend a big block like mine if you dont plan on racing it.  They are less high strung and easier to tune.  I love the noise, the smell, and the challeneg of it.  Lots of fun, DO IT!

• Like 1

Seriously, can't beat these things. Nothing revolutionary has come out since these were released. If you look at the latest LR8, MP9, and RC8 you will see the designs are pretty similar. 

The only improvement in my opinion would be to reduce the parts count for removing the diffs. The differentials cases are over built with way too many parts. Two halves are all that is needed.