Jason1145

Jason's 2nd Striker Restoration project - Neon Orange

On 7/15/2018 at 10:56 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

I faced this issue on my Striker years back but just went for the Sonic Fighter front end and fitted a set of vintage Hi-Cap dampers. Before I did that I did look around for a solution and I believe you'll be able to use M-Chassis CVA shocks made with the short end and shimmed inside the cylinder if necessary. The bottom will attach to the arms as normal but the top of the damper will require a U-shaped spring mount (I think they're called that) like the ones for the Lunchbox CVAs. Obviously you'll need one on each side and it won't look pretty but it should work.

Do you mean 50519 Mini Shock Unit for TT01 and M03?

These can be built to the shortest length of 55mm eye to eye... isn't that too long especially with the added Lunchbox spring clip in place too?

My measurements show a length needed of approx 35-40mm if using the Lunchbox spring clip.

Today I gave it a new 2.4G radio set from one of my other cars. 

This receiver has a built in gyro to keep the wheels pointed straight when it senses the back end trying to break either left or right by automatically counter Steering... here’s an crude example of it in action being tested by hand 🤚 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Jason1145 said:

Do you mean 50519 Mini Shock Unit for TT01 and M03?

These can be built to the shortest length of 55mm eye to eye... isn't that too long especially with the added Lunchbox spring clip in place too?

My measurements show a length needed of approx 35-40mm if using the Lunchbox spring clip.

I meant the 50mm variant (50746) then add a spacer to the shaft before you push it into the cylinder. It'd only drop it down to about 45mm(ish) but it should still work ok.

N.B. Just to reiterate, I haven't actually tried this on my Striker(s)/Sonic Fighter(s) but this was the 'solution' I'd found many years ago before I opted to go for the Vintage Hi-Cap Dampers.

13 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I meant the 50mm variant (50746) then add a spacer to the shaft before you push it into the cylinder. It'd only drop it down to about 45mm(ish) but it should still work ok.

N.B. Just to reiterate, I haven't actually tried this on my Striker(s)/Sonic Fighter(s) but this was the 'solution' I'd found many years ago before I opted to go for the Vintage Hi-Cap Dampers.

I can’t see how adding a spacer on the shaft will shorten the overall eye to eye length, it will only shorten the stroke travel no?

I need shocks at 35-40mm eye to eye, are you saying you can make the 50mm 50746 5mm shorter? I can’t figure it out as the shaft length is fixed as is the shock cap and lower eyelet so how can you knock off length here??

Ahhh wait a sec, does the spacer on the shaft act as a blocker, it then simply reduces the portion of the shaft that will extend out the cylinder and that’s how it’s shortened... by reducing the stroke and thus pulling the shock shorter overall length?

What spacers are used I don’t think I’ve ever used these in an oil damper like this?

• Like 1

Adding a spacer inside the shock on the shaft will effectively shorten the shocks over all length. 

6 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ahhh wait a sec, does the spacer on the shaft act as a blocker, it then simply reduces the portion of the shaft that will extend out the cylinder and that’s how it’s shortened... by reducing the stroke and thus pulling the shock shorter overall length?

What spacers are used I don’t think I’ve ever used these in an oil damper like this?

Yep. Basically what you said. :) 

There's two spacers on the plastic sprue (V Parts?) that comes with the dampers. I can't remember how long both of them are but maybe using them both together will bring the overall length down to what you'd need.

• Thanks 1

Cheers pal it’s all documented here now for future reference if I need it, thanks ;)

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, taffer said:

I've got a few of these cheapo esc's, they work with 2s lipo (i use an additional alarm)

@taffer I just fitted another of these ESC’s in a different car and it has no brake function in forward or reverse... it just goes forward/reverse and also reverse/forward?!

I tried swapping over the two brushed motor wires and flicking the throttle reverse switch in all possible combo’s.. does yours have brake function?

On 8/27/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jason1145 said:

Yes, exactly this. We used to do this to the Kyosho Gold shocks on my Mid and ZX-R to make them lower for racing on tarmac. It reduces the stroke, obviously, but if the shocks are going to be too long anyway, then it's not going to be an issue. We used to use rubber washers of unknown provenance, but I imagine that plastic or metal spacers will work, too, as long as they match.

9 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

@taffer On a side note about this. brushed ESC as Ibe not tested my Strikers one and it’s away from home gust now while I paint the driver helmet....... I just fitted another of these ESC’s into a different car and it has no brake in forward or reverse... just goes forward/reverse and also reverse/forward... I tried swapping over the two brushed motor wires and flicking the throttle reverse switch in all possible combo’s.. does yours have brake function?

That's a good question, I'll have to check mine over the weekend and let you know!

• Thanks 1

Ive just checked one of mine in my monster rising fighter and it has forward then reverse or reverse then brake then forward, weird!

(same for my Hornet!)

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 11:28 PM, taffer said:

Ive just checked one of mine in my monster rising fighter and it has forward then reverse or reverse then brake then forward, weird!

(same for my Hornet!)

If you reverse the throttle on your radio, you should have brakes when going forward. :)

lol yes, because its slow in reverse, never needed to brake!:D

• Haha 1

Great restauration, the car really looks awesome! :D

And love the ultrasonic cleaner. So much better then the 'bucket with soap and toothbrush' method I've been using. I feel another dent in my budget coming my way. It will save me so much time.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 10:09 AM, Falcon#5 said:

If you reverse the throttle on your radio, you should have brakes when going forward. :)

No, this will give make the car go into reverse from a forward throttle input and then straight to forward from a reverse throttle input input... still with no brakes.

However you will then make the car go backwards from a forward throttle input and then brake from a reverse input and then on to forwards from another reverse input.

You actually need to swap the motor wires around ( two for Brushed and any two of 3 for brushless)

I have tried all the above but this one particular ESC has no brake function whatsoever

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Great restauration, the car really looks awesome! :D

And love the ultrasonic cleaner. So much better then the 'bucket with soap and toothbrush' method I've been using. I feel another dent in my budget coming my way. It will save me so much time.

The worrying part is once you have a Sonic Cleaner you then look for more restorations to use it on ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

No, this will give make the car go into reverse from a forward throttle input and then straight to forward from a reverse throttle input input... still with no brakes.

However you will then make the car go backwards from a forward throttle input and then brake from a reverse input and then on to forwards from another reverse input.

You actually need to swap the motor wires around ( two for Brushed and any two of 3 for brushless)

I have tried all the above but my same ESC has no brake function whatsoever?!!?

Good point.

But if you swap the motor wires around you will then need to reverse the throttle setting to make it go forward with forward throttle input?

Are we both right? :huh::lol:

• Like 1

Wow it's been 5 months since I last updated this thread.... a lot has happened and the Striker is nearly complete.... I still need to fully test the esc to see if it works properly but that aside here is how she stood a couple of days ago once I'd painted the drivers body  and placed a test drivers head in place....... this skull driver doesn't suit it so I will change it out soon.

Just need to apply the remaining decals now from MCI

kSnnj2a.jpg

0O9hgBx.jpg

iwphbL8.jpg

My daughters friend came to have a chat.... pleasantries were exchanged before the topic of bacon sandwiches came up and then one of them scarpered

2gVfV6c.jpg

Today is a lovely sunny day and what better way to show off the newly applied decals and glitzy orange paint job!

I made one mistake and forgot I had installed a Sonic Fighter rear wing, so the large black "STRIKER" decal would not fit so the rear wing has been zhooshed up with a couple of small flags on the edges

s0dESAo.jpg

6kcEOft.jpg

sYYInV4.jpg

She's all RTR

XiZhX59.jpg

vUPveom.jpg

Next step will be to source a drivers head and then she is done. Just got to say the MCI decals are beautiful and I can't recommend them enough.

• Like 1

Quick indoor test and this 21t brushed motor packs some punch on a 6cell Nimh battery.... I might very well have to speed run this one day