Hibernaculum

Your Man Cave

• Got a man cave for hiding your vintage R/C?
  • How cave-like is it?
  • If there is war/zombie attack, will you be able to continue working on your models undisturbed? (important)
  • Does it have essential conveniences? (bar fridge, toilet nearby, TV, Wi-Fi)
  • Describe any other retro features (old signs, pinup girls, booby traps, shotguns) in addition to tools and toys.

B)^_^

mancave2.jpg

3426c4f97c8e9ff513ac50283aaf909d.jpg

20121212_234603.jpg?timestamp=1356969467

e9eb5b0426b9c6889094fc5fe7db30ef--model- 

collectors-man-cave.jpg

ab31bac7a20201d743902b6c76f13353--electr

• Like 17

I'm not really a fan of the term "man cave,"  but the entire lower level of our split-level house is devoted to leisure activities, and it is kinda dark down here.

It's currently a total mess because we're renovating the floors upstairs, so everything is piled up helter-skelter down here. I'll take photos when it's back to normal.

But basically, it's divided into three areas:

The Conservatory: the main open room, originally meant to function as a den or rumpus room. Now home to our musical pursuits, with guitars, amps, and a keyboard lining one wall and a comfy sofa on the opposite side. Nice and dark, low ceiling, brick along one wall where a woodburning stove used to live.

My Study: the house's third bedroom, tucked into a back corner. Bookshelves full of good sci-fi novels, Haynes manuals, and Time-Life home repiar books. All of my RC and model stuff is in here, and most assembly/repair work happens here as well. No power tools or sprayable paint, however; those all live in...

The Garage: Functions as a normal garage to two of our four cars (yes, I know), my 1971 MGB GT and my wife's 2005 BMW 325i. Full of car tools of all types, except of course, for whatever I happen to need to do the repair I'm working on at the moment. Also home to all the woodworking tools currently being used to redo the floors. Has two large workbenches that I cannot keep clean for the life of me.

As for other retro features, I have my original Mego 2XL robot, a decent turntable, and a growing collection of progressive rock and New Wave albums. (No shotgun, though; that's upstairs in the closet.)

• Like 5

Ok H, I have two questions for you:

1) Where is all the Tamiya?

2) Where can we watch the episode of the collectors you're in? ;)

I have just moved house - so my room is still half unpacked - but I'll get a picture up here as soon as it's back in fighting shape!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gordb said:

1) Where is all the Tamiya?

Fair point ^_^

It's in the man cave, aka hobby room I am currently setting up (properly, for the first time ever). So once that's done, you might see a photo one day. ;)

18 minutes ago, gordb said:

2) Where can we watch the episode of the collectors you're in? ;)

Too camera shy for that :D  Although never say never I suppose...  did consider it once a few years ago, as I worked for a TV station that had a long running show about Collectors. One other fella who used to be an active collector (here on TC) appeared on the show. But even he didn't show off his actual collection/man cave properly...  And his collection always was, probably still is, way better than mine. (Though comparing isn't really worthwhile, as everyone focuses on different things - and each of us is lucky to have anything we have ^_^)

In fact, I suppose I should upload that episode clip to Youtube, as it's not there. And the show has long since gone off the air, and been forgotten.

Nine years ago I was fortunate enough to buy out my ex’s share of the house.  I can decorate it however I like. Generally my girlfriend doesn’t complain.  She just doesn’t like when I leave a project on the dining room table for too long.  In the living room I have a couple of glass display cases with cars in them.  I also have one wall in a spare bedroom with shelves displaying several cars.  

• Like 3

Here I am doing a spot of hoovering in my 'man-cave' recently.  It's just a single garage with some useful storage space in the pitched roof.  It contains the 2 motorbikes you can see, 2 bicycles, lots and lots of bike parts, all my tools and accessories, crates of stuff I need for my bike club/shows, the obligatory cupboard full of half-empty tins of paint etc, 3 sets of ladders, and various oddball things we've collected (eg. the No Right Turn and Kawasaki illuminated signs).  Hanging from the ceiling you can see my 10 RC's and there's a pile of boxes of unbuilt ones stacked on top of the cupboard on the left.  There's a small workbench at the end.  There are a few pin-up girls on the cupboard, and my various karting and bike-show trophies.  Entertainment is limited to an old radio.  There's also a professional alarm system with an ear-splitting siren from an old factory.

What you can't see are the other 7 motorbikes that also live in there, that have been temporarily moved out just so that I can tidy up.  That makes it difficult to do any work in there, as you can imagine.  A shed you say ?  There's a shed behind the garage, it's got 3 more motorbikes in it and lots more weird stuff my missus brings back from salvage yards.

Our house is currently on the market and a need for more garage/workshop space is one of the reasons for that.

hoover.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Shodog said:

Nine years ago I was fortunate enough to buy out my ex’s share of the house.  I can decorate it however I like. Generally my girlfriend doesn’t complain.  She just doesn’t like when I leave a project on the dining room table for too long.  In the living room I have a couple of glass display cases with cars in them.  I also have one wall in a spare bedroom with shelves displaying several cars.  

WoW was that 9 years ago already Jim ..unbelievable !

• Like 1

Good to see a face behind the name ‘H’ 

Nice “Man cave” and nice collection ,like most of us I see you collect a bit of everything.

i also dabble in 1/35 military modelling as well as control line Aeroplanes-Aeroflyte balsa kits- 1/72 scale military models- LEGO 12v old school trains-Kenner smash up derby’s- Scale die cast cars- Scale die cast motorbikes- Z gauge model railway - AFX Aurora slot cars - And of course Tamiya - ABC - Marui - Parma - Kyosho - Associated - Academy - RC kits and built rc cars - 1:1 Motorbikes.

Needless to say the grandchildren love coming over.

F77A85DD-3AC0-49E2-8BF7-AB6E4681CBD8.jpeg

495CC915-6767-41E2-A17B-FC60768B3C84.jpeg

B971A114-D457-415C-A92C-66D678AA3A65.jpeg

FD7A4CFB-3F8B-47CE-ABA4-7D06F6424988.jpeg

87F76F94-1BF5-430F-8AEB-3A1B4D88D2D7.jpeg

0934B517-EF2B-4EF8-812D-C47C01261E2F.jpeg

284D7F8B-E62A-435E-BED3-208E52E6CD96.jpeg

46ACE355-C2B9-441E-91D8-4FD970758FB5.jpeg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Swarm said:

Nice “Man cave” and nice collection ,like most of us I see you collect a bit of everything.

NB: None of the pics I posted were me/my stuff ;)

Nice kit hoard though, Stu! Good emphasis on original models too  image.png.2e7ab46f5d6574e5dba9a377b82a39ad.png

• Like 1

Our workshop has got a little bit messy after several renovations of different parts of the house, so my wife and I have arranged for our daughter to stay with her ganno next weekend so we have two solid days to tidy it up.

Between now and then I have a week of mornings and lunchbreaks to try to tidy up my workbench after several rush projects.

I might take some before pics but I should definitely take some after pics too!

• Like 1

My man cave / workshop is soooo messy at the moment but I took a couple photos anyway 😆 Some of your collections look awesome!! I’ve got too many hobbies and my shed out the back is always messy with so many things on the go. Occasionally I’ll have a cleaning blitz but it doesn’t stay clean for long. Mainly I hunt, fish, spend a lot of time in the veggie gardens, raise different poultry, and make home made charcuterie. Tamiya is a newer thing to relive childhood with my boys. The shed is used for any soldering and charging batteries and cleaning cars down after a run with an air compressor, but any builds I do inside so my wife doesn’t think I’m trying to run away from the family...and it’s warmer and closer to the coffee machine 😁

CE16474F-8A97-4946-9773-27DAFA6A1606.jpg

09BC4340-ADDC-4766-BE01-863692AC57F1.jpg

• Like 5

Good to see someone else on here has one of those little rc Ford Ranger ride ons for their kids Parksey 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, berman said:

Good to see someone else on here has one of those little rc Ford Ranger ride ons for their kids Parksey 😉

Ahh yes! Present from Grandpa for Christmas! 

I should mention one of the perks of my man cave is I can open the roller door and I’m straight onto my own little ‘race track’! If I open my side gates I’ve got around 50 meters of gravel driveway that leads to the street, which is a quiet dead end court, with another large nature strip out the front around 8m wide and 50m long. I’m lucky to have such a great area to run the cars especially when I hear how some places have banned RC’s in public! 😱

2B7EEF46-52F2-4F2F-A5BB-56B4BE8ED913.jpg

3556E081-B881-4381-9B67-3CDC9FB6BAF3.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Parkesy said:

Ahh yes! Present from Grandpa for Christmas! 

Lucky grandchildren...I suffer from the same affliction 😬

Nice place you have and surrounding area ,better than being boxed up in the city.

Had not heard rc’s were banned in some areas apart from drones .

I live on 2.5 acres just over the VIC border in country NSW about 60ks from the border ,very small country town population 350 on a good day ,so plenty of open spaces for me as well.

Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures mate .

🤟

AFBDD759-9239-4816-AC41-3625CEEE7A7F.jpeg

05C79CF5-9EA5-471A-A171-D9993EB76671.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Swarm said:

Lucky grandchildren...I suffer from the same affliction 😬

Nice place you have and surrounding area ,better than being boxed up in the city.

Had not heard rc’s were banned in some areas apart from drones .

I live on 2.5 acres just over the VIC border in country NSW about 60ks from the border ,very small country town population 350 on a good day ,so plenty of open spaces for me as well.

Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures mate .

🤟

AFBDD759-9239-4816-AC41-3625CEEE7A7F.jpeg

05C79CF5-9EA5-471A-A171-D9993EB76671.jpeg

I think it was more overseas countries. They won’t let you run them in parks or car parks and hard to find places for those in the cities. What a bummer that would be! 

Great size block you’ve got! Definitely room for an off-road buggy track, maybe a project for summer! 😉

• Like 1

@Parkesy, you either have a really really big workshop or a really really small SUV

• Haha 1

So Myn is more like the spare bedroom,  certainly not up to spec of the other offers here but I do have a laundry sink installed for cleaning, a beer fridge, Hifi system, a small heater etc etc. of course I have a shed but that’s for motorbikes and shed sorta stuffs! 

Pics are about a year old, collection has swelled another 10 or so kits since then. 

ECDC87DD-F94F-4538-BB6B-5590960AFEED.jpeg

78CDCE52-AFBB-42C0-927F-B2EE3F87840B.jpeg

45EAE0AE-AFDD-4844-9EB6-03F1C8D9B4BC.jpeg

A6E05BA9-6B0E-4AF2-AB9F-98A46DC86509.jpeg

B60F421C-4243-47AB-96A7-10CAC2830EFE.jpeg

• Like 8

Me and a really good buddy at work hooked up last winter, I only owned 2 buggys a DT-01 Fighter buggy and a DF-02 Rising storm... and a very very rare nitro on road belt driven touring car Carson CH-04, in not working condition.

One night I went over to his garage, where we used to drink beer watch games... and that night I saw him fidling with a Revell 1:25 Porsche carerra rs 3.0 model.

First of I told him years ago I was into RC models, mostly 1:10 only electric... he was more sort of a guy who thought they toys and only nitro/petrol RC are for grown ups... I laugh hard that night when I encounterd him trying to put together that Porsch. Since electric cars where toys...

Short story long, that night I promised him to bring to his garage the Carson nitro model so he could try to put it together and make it ready to run...

after a month, we ended up signin him up at our local RC CLUB, ended up buying 2 1:5 FG petrol models, 2 1:10 nitro onroads, 2 Tamiya F103 and 1 Team Associated onraod 1:10 in less then 3 months :lol: all together with my 2 Tamiya buggys.

For me it is a funny story how his garage became a ''RC'' man cave in less then a week after I hit his ego that night, playing with 1:25 models... (not that I am against, it was just that he said a year ago how electric 1:10 are toys)

For myself, a man cave was our local RC CLUB (but I dont like working on my cars with to much people around), after that a man cave was my living room / kitchen table when my wife was not at home... this garage was a gift from heaven. ;)

IMG_1545.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

• Like 5

There’s a group for this topic called 

The Workbench. Post your pics of your “shops” and work area there too!

Forgive the mess outside the window, this is my recently converted outhouse!

20180706_204241.jpg

• Like 8

Took this photo a few nights ago. More of a loft with some lights ...

20180719_160834.jpg

On 6/16/2018 at 3:42 AM, Parkesy said:

My man cave / workshop is soooo messy at the moment but I took a couple photos anyway 😆 Some of your collections look awesome!! I’ve got too many hobbies and my shed out the back is always messy with so many things on the go. Occasionally I’ll have a cleaning blitz but it doesn’t stay clean for long. Mainly I hunt, fish, spend a lot of time in the veggie gardens, raise different poultry, and make home made charcuterie. Tamiya is a newer thing to relive childhood with my boys. The shed is used for any soldering and charging batteries and cleaning cars down after a run with an air compressor, but any builds I do inside so my wife doesn’t think I’m trying to run away from the family...and it’s warmer and closer to the coffee machine 😁

CE16474F-8A97-4946-9773-27DAFA6A1606.jpg

09BC4340-ADDC-4766-BE01-863692AC57F1.jpg

why do you have a meat slicer in your workshop?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2