Hibernaculum

Your Man Cave

I also dont have a cave. I have a few different areas for Hobby and home work...

Double Garage - trikes housed

Wood shed - for drying, cutting and storing timber and a few hobby bits and bobs (its for wood made of vented tin and is a lean to on side of the garage.

I have 2 display cabanits in the main area of the house just to side of the dinner table, with a large table and shelves upstairs where I mostly work on the buggies when i dont take over the dinning table for a build.

As was running out of room I then built the "fun shed" (kids named it!!) to store the caravan, the jetski, all the family bikes, and other boys toys.

So as you can see the model/buggy is only one of many hobbies, hence I go quiet in the summer months as off doing things outside with larger engines mostly.

• Like 2

Having made do with a tiny table to work on and make shift that will do shelving. A trip to Bunnings for a new more suitable work top and a start was made 👍🏻
The before....

6F1EC055-1CF0-4998-866A-DE627CF078FA.jpg

003BE5C7-0D56-4925-8709-04B266027B84.jpg

Work now in progress....

47C1943F-9FE7-4159-BAF9-10F289635D2E.jpg

• Like 7

I think I can see a 3mm e-clip on the floor !

:D

• Haha 4

When the wife and I were looking for a place together I was more than happy to find somewhere with a big garage, and with a bit of negotiating a deal was struck  (you can decorate the house entirely how you like it, if the garage is “mine” :D)!

Since moving in though there are still numerous boxes that need sorting and somehow a “potting plant” shelf area seems to have managed to sneak in!

But here is what it did look like, and then with a workbench I threw up with an off cut of worktop.  Once the summer hits I plan extending the worktop to the side wall, with wood storage underneath and storage racks all along the opposite wall. Oh and to reorganise everything! In the process of dissembling the 1971 MGB GT so that’s taking quite a bit of space.

Would love to see you MGB GT, markbt73! As you can see mine needs a little work :lol:

BD8C6684-970A-4C68-A1BC-BB7F465652D7.jpeg

853B1417-8F76-4537-A601-7DA9F4A0D2DF.jpeg

• Like 5

Ok I went had had a bit of a tidy up. I had loads of crap on the shelves etc. A lot neater now. I have some other NIB kits I intend to make that aren’t visible yet. This is essentially 1/3 of my workshop, specifically for modelling. The other side (it’s separated by a an internal wall)  was for motorbikes 

F8DDBE85-6F7F-48B6-BDC4-92B09EBFCADD.jpeg

2AB3DBCA-94C7-4D29-80F0-2FE7B434AD5A.jpeg

CBC093E8-DEC9-4C26-A12B-F07225983B8A.jpeg

• Like 5

Well, it's still not quite how I want it, but it keeps getting closer...

20200307_090413

20200307_090423

(I just noticed that the reflective tape on a couple of body shells under the workbench caught the camera clash and make it look like the lights are on...)

20200307_090442

20200307_090452

(That's a 1/25 scale AMT '58 Edsel in progess on the workbench)

20200307_090523

(The other side of the room)

As for the MG, it has its own thread on here somewhere, but here's a "glamour shot" from last summer, before the wiring harness got fried... it's currently in the garage with no dashboard or electrical system...

2019-09-02_01-44-06

• Like 10

Nice MG’s!  My brother is in the process of restoring our Dad’s TD.

13 hours ago, Thommo said:

I think I can see a 3mm e-clip on the floor !

:D

Nuts.....not anymore I’ve just hoovered, must have been what the rattle was up the tube  🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is my setup.  It is a room I walked up in my 2 car detached garage or workshop.   Have a much needed window a/c for summer, a kerosene heater for winter, fridge, direct tv, and a blue ray player for my other weakness, movies.  

I do have an air rifle out here I use to get rid of squirrels on my house roof.  (Had them in my attic 2 years ago)  and all my firearm cleaning supplies are stored out here, but my firearms are located in my house.

• Like 2

Greer video! Should have done one too but didn’t want to have to go outside and into the garage in the rain so used photos I already had :D

Wish I had a door through from the house or even if the garage was more ‘finished’ to give it a warmer appeal but ah well. Can’t complain about the space.

Occasionaly I get to use the dining room table but that’s reserved for when the wife’s out and it’s very much a covert operation!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markbt73 said:

20200307_090523

i am loving that space shuttle poster :wub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

i am loving that space shuttle poster :wub:

Souvenir from a visit to the Smithsonian a few years back. Saw the Discovery there. It's bigger than you think... my wife's mother is friends with one of the docents at the Air & Space Museum, and he showed us around. Cool guy, former Navy fighter pilot. We didn't get crazy unlimited access, but we saw more than the typical tour groups get to see...

This photo reinforces that I need to get some more decorations up in here. I have some of the old Tamiya one-sheet flyers (959 and Super Sabre, if memory serves) that I want to display.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Well, it's still not quite how I want it, but it keeps getting closer...

(The other side of the room)

As for the MG, it has its own thread on here somewhere, but here's a "glamour shot" from last summer, before the wiring harness got fried... it's currently in the garage with no dashboard or electrical system...

Nice MGBGT markbt73.  I see that the prince of darkness (Lucas) is always busy!

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Souvenir from a visit to the Smithsonian a few years back. Saw the Discovery there. It's bigger than you think... my wife's mother is friends with one of the docents at the Air & Space Museum, and he showed us around. Cool guy, former Navy fighter pilot. We didn't get crazy unlimited access, but we saw more than the typical tour groups get to see...

This photo reinforces that I need to get some more decorations up in here. I have some of the old Tamiya one-sheet flyers (959 and Super Sabre, if memory serves) that I want to display.

As a kid growing up in the 80s the space shuttle has always been a huge part of that decade to me.  The space shuttle, Tamiya cars, Powell Peralta and Santa Cruz skateboards, it's all got the same feel of nostalgia to me.

• Like 3

Day off today, cleaned mancave. 

Not much room left! 

IMG_20200308_211949.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, markbt73 said:

i would have loved that  i would have no idea on the size comparison but i do remember the day  June 7th 1983 when the enterprise was piggy backed on a 747 flew over my school i just happened to be on a p.e. lesson at that time and the head teacher who took the lesson was big into the shuttle and i remember him just taking loads of pics from the play ground as we just sat down and watched that beautiful site fly over us that is one memory i am glad and hope to keep 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hairyjon313 said:

So ... who's cleaning the man cave?

Renovating mine

On 3/7/2020 at 7:18 PM, markbt73 said:

2019-09-02_01-44-06

Like your MGB. Lucas the Prince of Darkness hasn't found my F yet, Sill the Lord of Rust did. 

2 hours ago, No Slack said:

Like your MGB. Lucas the Prince of Darkness hasn't found my F yet, Sill the Lord of Rust did. 

Thanks. This one has plenty of rust as well, mostly in the cowl/firewall/air box area. It was parked outside in Hawaii for many many years... fortunately, everything is structurally sound, so I'm just treating the rust to stop it spreading and calling it good.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, svenb said:

IMG_20200308_211949.jpg

Looks amazing - I'd almost use the word "inspiring"!

I do have to mention it looks like you've left a few batteries plugged in though... :unsure:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

Looks amazing - I'd almost use the word "inspiring"!

I do have to mention it looks like you've left a few batteries plugged in though... :unsure:

Thanks. 

Batteries plugged in purely for the photo but well spotted 😉

• Like 2