Buggy virgin

So .. I'm a on road car kind of guy, but I am keen to get a cheap, fun buggy to bash around. Any thoughts? Likely to get it from eBay so would also be handy if there are loads to chose from. 

So many options! 2wd or 4wd?..classic or more modern?

Cheap and fun like a Hornet? Very basic, pretty bullet proof, doesn't handle at all (literally skips on short grass) but really good fun. Doesn't need a lot of power either, simple silver can and a nimh do the trick. 

More modern? How about a Neo Fighter - DT-03 chassis, handles really well, great layout, happy on a silver can, hilarious and fast on 2S lipo and brushless. Tamico.de is a good place to get this. 

4wd? - Dual Ridge / Neo Scorcher - TT-02b chassis which is based on a touring car, handles well, quick on nimh and lipo (go easy on the power as the gears can strip but there are mods for this) but could with a little more ground clearance... 

• Like 1

If you want a cheap 2wd buggy, the Neo Fighter is a very good buggy. That being said, like most other RC cars, the stock tires are not much good. I run the Schumacher mini spike and mini pin tires, and they are awesome tries on the buggy.

Note that while it's not specified anywhere, a low profile servo will fit much better than an standard height servo. Same goes for the 4wd TT02B platform as well in terms weight distribution and space for ESC btw.

• Like 1

I've got a blitzer beetle that I don't need - it comes with 90% of another one for spares too.

Great bashers - even better on the beach, Bulletproof drivetrain (will take LiPo and brushless without problems), and cheap to fix when you break it.

A good basher buggy is the Wild One.  It's got really good balance and looks awesome.  While not Tamiya, another good option is the Kyosho Scorpion.

• Like 3

DT02 or DT03 and fit some blitzer wheels and tyres makes a great basher. This is mine with a grasshopper 2 body grafted on

20180314_131703

Great value right now is the Manta Ray rerelease for the quality of the kit.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Have been thinking of the Manta Ray, it fits my live of the TA chassis. Will look at a wild one though. 

Manta ray eats the wild one in terms of performance and durability. Wild one is fun, but you’ll only enjoy it if you prefer a scale look and performance. 

• Like 1

So ... picked up a Manta Ray and a Dirt Thrasher for good measure. 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:11 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

DT02 or DT03 and fit some blitzer wheels and tyres makes a great basher. This is mine with a grasshopper 2 body grafted on

20180314_131703

Great value right now is the Manta Ray rerelease for the quality of the kit.

Really like the look and proportions of this one!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JDinkelman said:

Really like the look and proportions of this one!

Thanks. It's pretty easy to cut the front of a mad bull shell to fit the 03 shock tower. Then it's drilling holes in the right places. There are lots of pics of this on the Adventures in getting back Into RC thread in The Builds forum. Custom decals are from MCI for the Grasshopper2. Mad Bull shells are cheap as chips too, so go wild. This is my third. Just paint with automotive paint.

• Like 1

I will give a shout to the DT03 too. Great buggy, built mine about 4 weeks ago and still finding it a very accomplished runner. I went for the Racing Fighter variant as I prefer the old skool look. The Aqroshot would be a nice all rounder too with it's truggy style wheel/tyre combo.

The Aqroshot looks cool on its stock tyres but grip leaves a lot to be desired. It is however much better on Mad Bull rubber, and absolutely brilliant on the spiky tyres supplied with the Heavy Dump. 

For myself I own a DF02 for the bashing. It is 4wd just makes it easier and more fun, a 2wd is more challenging.

but if buying a second buggy I only would consider a Team associates RC10B6. Not cheap but not so expensive either.

I am a fan of the DT03 also, fun for less money.

01CB7BCD-7F76-4F8B-8812-25224C7C72B4.jpeg

• Like 2

DT02 for sure, I've got the holiday buggy variant and with a 540 can and some oil dampers its an awesome runner/basher.

I prefer the TT-02B over my DT-03.  It's the 4wd and shorter wheelbase that does it for me.  The DT-03 is a nice buggy, but the long wheel base, rear motor hanging way out back, light front end, and crappy stock front tires make the turning radius too wide.  Fine for a basher, but...the Neo Scorcher handles better for a few bucks more.  To be honest, I've thrown so much money at my TT-02B on hop ups I should of just got a new Associated buggy and been done with it, but if  tinkering is your thing the Neo Scorcher is quite fun.