Sign in to follow this  
Mark_C

DF-02 / 54567 shocks

Rebuilding a Plasma Edge, it needs complete new shocks all round for a few reasons and I found the 54567 CVA kit, which is really meant for DF-03 but Tamiya list it for the DF-02 too.

I'm a bit confused, looking at the picture:

54567.jpg

Bottom right corner appears to have the usual set of pistons that allow you to tune the shocks, but the shafts to their left appear to have a built in piston.. so does this mean the kit is a fixed setup and the pistons (on the right) are of no use ?

I ask because I know the DF-02 is considered underdampened, so wanted to go for the one hole pistons to create a stiffer setup, the only other real option is to buy all the bits for the stock setup which will work out quite expensive.

Alternatively do I look at aftermarket shocks (any suggestions?) - I'm a bit wary of ending up with cheap stuff 

The car is only for bashing, so doesn't need to be anything remarkable.

That is the DT03 set not DF03. Although they will work you are right, they have one piece rod and piston. 

What you want is

50519 front and 50520 rear. It’ll be a few dollars more but still cheaper than buying the shafts separate.

Juls

I have the stock ones on a TT02B which look a lot like that and they work fine. I too wondered why the sprues came with all the piston options when you couldn't use them, then found out you can buy separate rods to use them. I assume its just cheaper to make the one parts sprue and supply it with all kits than make one specially for those shocks.

Thicker oil may make up for some of it? I run 500cst (kit oil is 400) with standard springs in mine and they work well on grass and little ramps.

Thanks guys, I may go the 50519/20 route and get some thicker oil too.