Fabia130vRS

DF02 turning into a rally car? possible?

I own a DF02, with all the aluminium hop ups. I bought it with some parts missing, etc etc now its complete, but I kind of got bored of the Rising Storm body.

Not feeling like buying a new kit sinc I invested in my F103 a whole bunch of $$$.

I would like to turn it into a rally chassis like the DF03RA

does anybody know if there is a way to do so?

• Like 1

The easiest way to do it might be to get a TT-01 tub, suspension arms, diff covers, dogbones, etc, and transfer the rest of the gubbins across from the DF-02. The drivetrain parts are compatible between the two chassis AFAIK.

• Like 1

Another easier option, if it's just a different body / look you're after.

There's a couple of wider bodies that might fit, I've a Marui Coors thunderbird (designed to fit an off road 4wd chassis) and a Parma Willys coupe that i could measure?  (Or can check against a df03 of it's a similar size?)

HPI have a nice selection for the Savage which is 1/8 scale (my recent madgeneral - dt03/ dodge charger) and proline do a ratrod body which wouldn't matter too much on the width as they're open wheeled anyway.

HPI Dodge Charger on DT03 chassis. 

2018-04-28_04-45-21

Parma Willys Coupe on the Coors thunderbird chassis, (same as the Ninja chassis)

2018-06-23_12-02-38

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

...the rest of the gubbins ...

I looked that up!  I'm in my learning-some-British-or-Aussie-slang phase of my life!  I find it interesting.  My ex-roommate was an army brat.  He lived in England during his high school years (on base, though).  He would say that guy sounds like he's from this side of London or that side of London, as he was watching EastEnders on Public Broadcasting System (PBS).  I thought that was cool.  

Anyway, here is a body I've been eyeing on.  I think 257mm wheelbase is an exact match for DF02?  At least, I think that's why I kept it on my ebay list... That company, teambluegroove, has a lot of bodies.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-180MM-A-TYPE-QUATTRO-BODY-FOR-TOURING-XRAY-CORALLY-LOSI-TAMIYA-CARSON/150999799256?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I apriciate your help, Jug, the body you have posted says 180mm width. That would equal more a Touring car chassis. 

I have on my laptop a picture I have come across on google from some japanese. He has the df03ra lower arms next to a complete df02.

can not find it again on google, but it made me think.

transfering it all on a tt01 is not a option. Too much work compared to how cheap a tt01 is.

And only tamiya bodies are a way to go.

so df03ra and df02, lower arms incompatible?

OH I FOUND IT AGAIN!

it wasnt japanese. I guess, it was a french!!!

rcrally.vraiforum.com/t464-Transformation-DF02-en-DF02RA.htm

please all have a look, I knew I have seem a “df02ra” somewhere.

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yoiyamikan37/33726515.html

more on this topic.

unfortunately neither language I can understand 😂

Try on a mobile, auto swaps it to English! 🖒 (Or whatever language you require 🙄)

No, no, the off-road course of the circuit that passed was closedThe place to run anywhere has gone away (tears)
There is nothing to worry about placing, there is no budget to buy a new chassis ... and the conclusion that I made is ...
"Let's make it!"The poor man spends much time and effort !!! (laugh)Basically, we will advance two axes, (1) trim the front and rear arms, (2) replace the suspension for on-load.

Image cut only on one side, here ↓

It's obvious as the length of the arm is completely different.

And purchase and install this suspension.

Although it seemed unexpectedly easy, but there is still only the original there,

It's clearance, movable range, mount position, intensity is all from the beginning

Honest fairly hard work ...

Next, make the same! If I told you · · · I will not do, surely · · · (laugh)

It is an impression when I bring this to the circuit tomorrow!

So, sounds very doable, but I'd price / check availability of parts first.

• Thanks 1

As Wooders got it translated, I asked Google to translate the French part.  

"I have the idea to convert this DF02 DF02RA. The goal of the game being to reduce the width of the tracks from 250mm to 190mm. According to what I saw the chassis is a derivative of the TT01, so I will try to see if I can find lower suspension arms of this model as well as the universal joints."

So, the French dude went from 250mm to 190mm, basically from off-road to touring width.  Which makes sense for RA chassis.  

From what I have seen, it only would be possible to use DF-02 lower arms and cut them to width for 190mm as the japanese dude did, then c hubs are a question, probably TT.-01 shafts... but using tt01 lower arms with df-02 does not make sense since they are complete different.

I still dont have infomacions if df.03ra lower arms would be a direct fit. That would be for me the only way to go for it. If somebody could measure the space where the lower arm connects to the tub and c hub, would be helpful.

s-l500.jpg