78Triumph

My midlife crisis backyard RC playground

I figured I'd post a little over view of what I've been doing in my yard ever since I bought a Frog re-re a year and a half ago and got addicted to all this RC stuff again.  What can I say, it makes me feel like a kid again!

This is my backyard rc area. The track consists of a couple of jumps, banked turns, and is mainly dirt, but the upper section under the trees is a mix of thin grass and moss and dirt.  There's also short section that breaks off the main track and  snakes through the double jumps, then ties back into the main track and that's for driving my Tamiya Rally car so I can bypass the big jumps.  I'm going to make some scale looking guard rail or posts for that section sooner or later to make it look more real.  I started to utilize one of the larger areas of track "infield" for a trail/crawler section.  So far I've got a functional drainage pipe at the dry creek bed head, which snakes down the hill.  I put a bridge over the two sides of the creek bed and planted some small dwarf spruces, some juniper, and other plants.  I'm adding stuff and changing things here and there all the time.  I love maintaining this area almost as much as I like racing my cars and driving  my truck around on it.  It's a lot of upkeep but I don't mind.

This is the newest area that I'm adding on to and adding a tight hairpin turn.  
42471263631_674ab45d86_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
28598953538_0430111d54_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
28598883878_20ec15fdec_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
40992350630_a708764c53_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
42802917791_680c8de9e6_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
41106915340_0daa994721_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

42198614254_444d6fe0a5_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
other side of the rally section that cuts between the double jumps and then merges back into the main track
41106932570_486b3ffa7b_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
42802916411_4a1c04c43d_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Early this spring roughing in the rally/scale technical section whatever you want to call it.
41627106622_4eea2bc5b8_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

42085657114_b128d97e37_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
this is what the infield trail section looked like a month ago
41892044982_45efdf606a_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
27177155617_a89765c170_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
The old Unimog creeping around
40239759540_9d31c83cf8_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
41147251295_24410a6280_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

42693248402_eee1a7ec26_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
My goal this year is to hide that eye sore of a propane tank.  I'm working on it.

Some humble beginnings!
40805655455_d19a878a17_b.jpgIMG_4764 by Joe, on Flickr
40986938334_529c8d4551_b.jpgIMG_4600 by Joe, on Flickr
39897524430_19b1747ba3_b.jpgIMG_4599 by Joe, on Flickr
35975510853_5bbc00bb16_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Homage to the legends
36018339933_97b35cf0b3_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr
36505334616_380e20e8dd_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

Just now, speedy_w_beans said:

Love that Unimog pic!

Yeah, that "creeping around" pix is awesome!

Great job on the Backyard Track!  I want one!

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  Like I said, it's a real passion working on this spot.  Today I bought a few Azalea bushes on sale at Lowes and some mulch.  I figure in a few years the propane tank won't be so visible as they all fill in.

41160001770_afcde66eb0_b.jpg

Finished!  I'm probably going to put some kind of scale sized guard rail around the edge.

41160004160_071065cc03_b.jpg

28101288587_1785b29c93_b.jpg

• Like 6

This is great, amazing! I am thinking of something like this a few years already. But never really get the time to do it!

Much respect! 😁

• Like 2

What an awesome playground ! Wish my backyard would be only half of that size<_<. Also love to see when the Youngsters have caught interests and have lots of fun. :)

• Like 2

Simply awesome and inspirational. I love the detail and the hard work and dedication that must have gone into it. I got back into RC a year and a half ago also.... but I haven’t built my own track! Really impressive. Love the Tamiya sign...!

So, when do we all meet up at your gaff for a race then? 

Good work sir. 

• Like 3

I love it mate! I gather you’ve got a very understanding wife too 😄

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Simply awesome and inspirational. I love the detail and the hard work and dedication that must have gone into it. I got back into RC a year and a half ago also.... but I haven’t built my own track! Really impressive. Love the Tamiya sign...!

So, when do we all meet up at your gaff for a race then? 

Good work sir. 

Thanks!  If you ever want to take the 10 hour trip by plane across the pond to do some laps you're more than welcome ;) 

7 hours ago, Parkesy said:

I love it mate! I gather you’ve got a very understanding wife too 😄

Yes, my wife is pretty understanding.  She doesn't drive any of the cars but she appreciates the effort I put into it.  This spot used to be an ugly patch of weeds and not much grass, the pine tree was overgrown and needed some real thinning out on the bottom, so it looks better than it used to, so she likes that aspect of it  :)

• Haha 2

Love that!

I'm working on a crawler mountain at the top of my garden.  Don't have space for a full track (well, I do, but the wife won't let me have it!) so a crawling mountain is all I'm allowed.  I've currently got a pile of hardcore from a concrete path that we had smashed up last week - that will form the base.  I'll have to get some more attractive stone to finish it off and will probably cement most of it in place, as crawlers have a tendency to shift stones as they're climbing them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I scrolled down, checking out all the miniature things... Then I saw a GIANT. 

Your miniaturization was so well done, your little girl looked so big... 

• Like 1

Looks great! I have a space where I'd like to do something similar, but I keep putting it off, and the weeds have taken over...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get this (awesome) track past your wife? I've been pleading with mine for several years now to no avail. Any tips or pointers ;)?

• Like 2

I love this, especially how much care and attention you're giving to it. I can see how the wife would accept it, knowing that it's decorative and hiding the storage tank :D 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. That crawler section is a work of art and those miniature trees are the icing on the cake. Really motivates me to go outside and start digging!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Saito2 said:

So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get this (awesome) track past your wife? I've been pleading with mine for several years now to no avail. Any tips or pointers ;)?

It's easy, find a spot in your yard that's not in the best shape or much to look at, and put a track there that looks better than what you had before! :)

8 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

I love this, especially how much care and attention you're giving to it. I can see how the wife would accept it, knowing that it's decorative and hiding the storage tank :D 

Yeah I try to mix landscaping with the track so it's not so much an eyesore but something nice to look at too! :)

1 hour ago, DrewZ said:

Thanks for sharing. That crawler section is a work of art and those miniature trees are the icing on the cake. Really motivates me to go outside and start digging!

Thanks for that man!  I love those little trees too.  Dwarf Alberta Spruces are what most of them are.  I try to pick at least one up everytime I'm at Lowes.  In the fall they start to clearance all of their stuff out and you can get a bunch real cheap.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 4:21 PM, simonroy72 said:

Fantastic job,looks amazing 😉 

Thanks!

I've been widening some parts of the track that I felt needed it.  It also sort of neatens things up along the edges at the same time.

43034819022_b84f65b531_b.jpg42180577585_4e63a8982f_b.jpg

It's been super hot here so working on the track has slowed down a little bit, but I still tinker with it a little bit each day.

• Like 6

Last week we got three inches of rain so the past few days has been track maintenance:  raking back dirt that washed out, re-shaping the jumps, and tamping everything back down.  I like doing this so it's enjoyable to me, and good excercise! 

43034431514_b4047b1bd0_b.jpg29879552618_726620234f_b.jpg

Trying to make areas where the water will divert and not make so many washouts in heavy rain.  My trusty tamper is quite the photo hog!

42846194545_afafc9081f_b.jpg

Grass is filling in and the dirt is settling nicely on the berm I made a few months ago.

29879548828_711392968b_b.jpg43750603331_d34c39af5f_b.jpg

There's that tamper again! :)  I grabbed some more Juniper shrubs at Lowes on clearance, just need to get them in the ground.

42846188675_d0ce85debc_b.jpg

I got a few laps in with my Neo Scorcher (I will get some video in the next day or two).  I still need to tweak the jumps a little bit.  I might change them up for something different.   Always something to do!  Thanks for viewing!

43702260732_d9d7a8fc27_b.jpg

43750599591_aaae873c21_b.jpg

• Like 14

Many, many, many, years ago I built my own track to run my original released Hornet. My father had a small tiller machine that allowed me to remove the grass, then used a ATV to create the turns and berms. the ATV also served well to smooth the track by dragging a tire behind it, then adding jumps later on. After seeing this thread, this makes me want to jump out in my backyard and do it all over again! I see no harm in this track building effort, what else is a middle aged guy supposed to do? buy a Corvette, or a Harley?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Completely agree with the above, if we could, we should ;p

I'm currently in the market for a house move so I am trying to secure as big a back garden as possible in the future house so I can atleast have a chance of some backyard driving.... the wife won't mind too much as she isn't one for maintaining delicate flower beds or sunbathing etc, so as long as there's space for our daughter to run, some shade for her to sit in,  and the clothes to hang out and dry,  I should be good.

Honestly though I would have to buy everything from scratch as I own zero garden tools... that tamper thing could be replaced with my heavy flat feet for a start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks great!  You've given me some inspiration.  Now just have to find some time :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

Many, many, many, years ago I built my own track to run my original released Hornet. My father had a small tiller machine that allowed me to remove the grass, then used a ATV to create the turns and berms. the ATV also served well to smooth the track by dragging a tire behind it, then adding jumps later on. After seeing this thread, this makes me want to jump out in my backyard and do it all over again! I see no harm in this track building effort, what else is a middle aged guy supposed to do? buy a Corvette, or a Harley?

You should do it man!  It's a lot of fun!  I always wanted a track when I was kid, so I'm doing it now!

6 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Completely agree with the above, if we could, we should ;p

I'm currently in the market for a house move so I am trying to secure as big a back garden as possible in the future house so I can atleast have a chance of some backyard driving.... the wife won't mind too much as she isn't one for maintaining delicate flower beds or sunbathing etc, so as long as there's space for our daughter to run, some shade for her to sit in,  and the clothes to hang out and dry,  I should be good.

Honestly though I would have to buy everything from scratch as I own zero garden tools... that tamper thing could be replaced with my heavy flat feet for a start.

Buy a house that has the best backyard to build a track in! :)

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Looks great!  You've given me some inspiration.  Now just have to find some time :lol:

Thanks man!  Yes, there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

• Like 1