78Triumph

My midlife crisis backyard RC playground

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I have actually done this...

I have also tripped while marshalling a race and stood on someone else's car, breaking the suspension.

Unfortunately he was one of the guys known for flying off the handle and shouting a lot when things didn't go his way.  Fortunately he's a mate of mine so he accepted my apology with humility and declined my offer of spare parts and time to fix it, claiming "he wasn't enjoying the racing anyway and was looking for an excuse to sit in the pits chatting all night."

Wow. I feel for you. I would have felt so bad that I would have offered to pay for the entire car right there in hopes of getting myself out of that situation that much faster. Glad it went ok. I've known people who freak out and go berzerk over the smallest things. When something actually happens, clear out of their way.

If it were the other way around, and someone stepped on my car, I would have just said "help me fix it and we're good". I've had lots of practice repairing my cars after someone else breaks them just about every time my girlfriend drives my cars. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Why, oh why did you have to show me your XV01 video...!!

I just ordered another car.  It's just not possible for me (actually, "the one woman spending committee" -- to borrow Jonathon's words) to spend on another car.  The committee would say that our 15 year old 1:1 might need to be traded in for a new one, and that's going to be a drain.  

Oh, I shouldn't have clicked on your video.  It looked so awesome (especially in slow-mo), I have this burning desire to buy one (but I just can't...)  It's a torture, 78Triumph!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Why, oh why did you have to show me your XV01 video...!!

I just ordered another car.  It's just not possible for me (actually, "the one woman spending committee" -- to borrow Jonathon's words) to spend on another car.  The committee would say that our 15 year old 1:1 might need to be traded in for a new one, and that's going to be a drain.  

Oh, I shouldn't have clicked on your video.  It looked so awesome (especially in slow-mo), I have this burning desire to buy one (but I just can't...)  It's a torture, 78Triumph!  

1.  Add to cart. 
  2.  Stare at it sitting in the cart for 7 minutes. 
  3.  Enter all payment and shipping info.
  4.  Hover mouse pointer over Complete Order button 12 times.
  5.  Stare at it for 3 more minutes.
  6.  Spend 5 more minutes arguing with yourself about how you don't need it, but will be happier in the long run if you got it.
  7.  Make a post on TamiyaClub about #6.
  8.  Impulse Buy!

It looks like you're at #7. Only one more step to go. We're here for your support. We know you can do it. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Brilliant, now I don’t have to to buy any more Tamiya (above what I already have and haven’t finished / can’t run).

I can just let you and @Jason1145 buy every car I want and watch it play out on here :D

Come on then, what did you get?!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kingfisher said:
  1.  Add to cart. 
  2.  Stare at it sitting in the cart for 7 minutes. 
  3.  Enter all payment and shipping info.
  4.  Hover mouse pointer over Complete Order button 12 times.
  5.  Stare at it for 3 more minutes.
  6.  Spend 5 more minutes arguing with yourself about how you don't need it, but will be happier in the long run if you got it.
  7.  Make a post on TamiyaClub about #6.
  8.  Impulse Buy!

It looks like you're at #7. Only one more step to go. We're here for your support. We know you can do it. :)

Or jump straight to number 8, do not pass Go! I have recently spent my forthcoming months budgets and now it sucks that I keep buying stuff... but no matter how good that landscaping looks I’m not buying a Propane tank.... I make enough gas myself ️!

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Brilliant, now I don’t have to to buy any more Tamiya (above what I already have and haven’t finished / can’t run).

I can just let you and @Jason1145 buy every car I want and watch it play out on here :D

Come on then, what did you get?!!

Yes @Juggular what did you buy?? 

And do not worry Mr Crumble, we all might own cars you like but we don’t half get to drive them as much as we’d like. (As a total wind up what would be the next car you’d want hehe!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol... you see, this is the kind of peer pressure that got me into ordering stuff.  Come on, this is 78Triumph's thread.  Has anybody seen a better miniature landscape?  Not me.  This is like the best landscaped-track I've seen (at least, on this side of the pond... even compared to that side of the pond, his track should win awards!).  Not only that, didn't you see how great his video was?  The wheels bobbing up and down in slow motion... (I was playing the music from "the six million dollar man" in my head) 

That was like some awesome beer commercial level of videography.  No, forget the beer commercial.  If Tamiya wants to explain "What is so special about XV01?"  They should say, "why, check out 78Triumph's video!"  And people would be asking, "that video was great, which part of the Alps was the film taken?"  78Triumpn would say, "that's not the Alps, that's my backyard!"  And people would say, "No way..."  I dare say, compare to the real rally film.  XV01 was filmed better.  Way better.  

[edit]:  if you have read this far down... 

Have you ever bought extra parts for a car, but the car didn't show up?  You don't buy the extra until you actually have the car, so you won't jinx it?  Well, there is no jinx.  Just that when you have the extra, you feel the pain more acutely.  I don't mean to be rude, but if you'll indulge my superstition, I'll report as soon as I get it... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

I dare say, compare to the real rally film.  XV01 was filmed better.  Way better.  

Have you ever bought extra parts for a car, but the car didn't show up?  You don't buy the extra until you actually have the car, so you won't jinx it?  Well, there is no jinx.  Just that when you have the extra, you feel the pain more acutely.  I don't mean to be rude, but if you'll indulge my superstition, I'll report as soon as I get it... 

Well said and I agree.

What extra parts are you sitting on? The peer pressure was just joking around. No harm meant by any of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Well said and I agree.

What extra parts are you sitting on? The peer pressure was just joking around. No harm meant by any of it.

No harm done!  In fact, I welcome it!  Me calling it a 'peer pressure' is also in good jest.  It's an honor when people take time to "encourage" me, isn't it?  

At this age, I got to know how weak my resolve is (but knowing that, can be a strength).  I don't gamble, smoke, nor do anything addictive. I just assume that I'm weak and I'll get addicted.  RC, I try to stay within my limits.  The secret to a happy life (for me) is not wanting beyond one's means and goals.  I don't spend what I don't have.  I'd rather pay off the mortgage first, and I would drive our car until it's not worth fixing anymore.  But all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy... (lol... I couldn't help it)  I'm learning that I need to spend a little for 'play.'  But I never spent anything on a smartphone.  I have a hand-me-down from my wife's friend in 2016. (OMG, Imagine the peer pressure until then)  I'm stuck at a desk with a phone all day long, why would I need a smart or even a dumb phone?   

Instead, I spend on wonderful things like RC!  Now, that, I'd love to be influenced!  So, I'd say "Bring it on! Influence me and corrupt me!"  (well, not the corrupting part, I don't want to look like Darth Maul...)   After seeing the 78Triumph's video, I must have XV01!  It will probably be sometime next year though.  My RC hands are full for now.  But encouragement is always welcome so I'll set my eyes on the next one!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Okay. You asked for it. I look forward to seeing all of the cars you're going to get along with that XV01.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, you guys are funny!  I especially like Juggular's 8 Steps to an impulse buy.  That rings true to a lot of us I'm sure.  Maybe more than we'd like to admit! 

Thanks again for all the compliments guys!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Lol, you guys are funny!  I especially like Juggular's 8 Steps to an impulse buy.  That rings true to a lot of us I'm sure.  Maybe more than we'd like to admit! 

Thanks again for all the compliments guys!

Since Kingfisher is too modest to correct it, I must whisper to you... that was Kingfisher's 'How to purchase an RC car the right way'...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Since Kingfisher is too modest to correct it, I must whisper to you... that was Kingfisher's 'How to purchase an RC car the right way'...

Trust me. It comes from experience. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Juggular said:

Doh!  My bad!  :)

• Haha 1

Picked up some more little trees on clearance for three bucks a piece today at lowes.

31422282988_40d1dc3355_b.jpg

• Like 5

Temperature hit 70 degrees today so I was able to go out and start cleaning up the crawler/trail section.  I have a lot of new ideas flowing through my head so I'm really anxious for the weather to be consistently warmer to really get started. 

Removed a lot of leaves and debris from areas I can't get with a rake.

46665779614_6f5953b617_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

I plan on taking this dry riverbed/creek section and making it at least twice as wide and longer by a good six feet or so.

33512998098_5930463a73_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Black bear coming out of hibernation :)

33512995108_c2c0018075_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

And last but not least I must figure out a way to hide the propane tank.  It spoils the view and it's hard to keep out of the background of photos.  All in all I was just happy to be outdoors and getting my hands dirty again :)

32447325737_d4282f4348_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

Temperature hit 70 degrees today so I was able to go out and start cleaning up the crawler/trail section.

Wasn't it great? We hit 70 over here in PA too. Ran the Super Champ, Blackfoot and Stampede much to my daughter's delight. Got spring fever yet?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Wasn't it great? We hit 70 over here in PA too. Ran the Super Champ, Blackfoot and Stampede much to my daughter's delight. Got spring fever yet?

It felt really good, especially when the sun peaked out from time to time! 

Inspiration for that propane tank... Seattle Boeing bomber plant during WWII, in "harmless residential area" disguise. Urban camo, if you will. 

20190316_072805.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/16/2019 at 8:27 AM, 78Triumph said:

And last but not least I must figure out a way to hide the propane tank.  It spoils the view and it's hard to keep out of the background of photos.  All in all I was just happy to be outdoors and getting my hands dirty again :)

32447325737_d4282f4348_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

You could paint it bright yellow with 4 portal windows on the side that have profiles of John, Paul, Ringo, that other guy in them.

If you can't hide something make a feature out of it ;)

"We all live in a yellow submarine...................................."

• Like 2

Very nice backyard track! 

I remember making an off road 8 track back in the 80s behind my parent's house backyard. The ground was too stony and I had to pick them up one by one on a 70 sq/m space. Took me about two weeks just to clear the stones and used a manual lawn mower to cut the wild grass (can grow as tall as 6ft). But still had to pull the roots from the ground which took me another 5 days of work. Then tested the track with my friends for just a few days but the track was just too small. It didn't even have a proper straight away to go really fast. I eventually gave it up and all the grass grew back. So much for the effort. Hahaha!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

You could paint it bright yellow with 4 portal windows on the side that have profiles of John, Paul, Ringo, that other guy in them.

If you can't hide something make a feature out of it ;)

"We all live in a yellow submarine...................................."

That other guy?  Come on man, George needs his due respect!  :D

6 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Very nice backyard track! 

I remember making an off road 8 track back in the 80s behind my parent's house backyard. The ground was too stony and I had to pick them up one by one on a 70 sq/m space. Took me about two weeks just to clear the stones and used a manual lawn mower to cut the wild grass (can grow as tall as 6ft). But still had to pull the roots from the ground which took me another 5 days of work. Then tested the track with my friends for just a few days but the track was just too small. It didn't even have a proper straight away to go really fast. I eventually gave it up and all the grass grew back. So much for the effort. Hahaha!

I think that was a pretty common scenario for kids back in the 80s.  RC tracks, BMX jumps, skateboard ramps, all the good things about being a kid in the 80s!

• Like 3

Wow, 70 degrees :o  I don't think it got over 50 all weekend here in South West England but I was out in it putting up a shed.  It was so warm when the sun came out I actually took my coat off.  It didn't rain much either, which was a refreshing change.  Not specifically RC related, but it means I can move some junk out of my workshop to get more space for tinkering.  Maybe I could even make a rope bridge leading up to the roof and down the other side?  It's on the back of my 1:10 scale mountain, after all.

I dream of temperatures hitting 70 degrees...  Then I can start stocking up on Vitamin D ready for when my coat goes back on in mid-September...

Loving all your work tho - I think you need to get in league with a cheap hotel and offer RC holidays ;)