Wooders28

Modernising an Optima Mid Custom?

Ran the Mid on 3s last night, for the first time on grass. The thing shifts!! 😁

I needed to back the slipper off (and other electrical wizardry ) to stop it shooting to the moon, but doubt the tiny slipper pads will last.

So begins the upgrade to a modern slipper.

I've seen on Facebook, someone selling a main shaft that utilises Team Associated parts, (and has a pic that is the same as one on Oople from years ago?)  but with a couple of Schumacher slipper units kicking about the toy box, I may try that route first.

Anyone on here done the conversion? 

Will ball diffs just spit the dummy? (Not running them, but fancied them)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

Man that thing is a rocket!

Cheers , actually looks slower in the vid than it is! 😂

• Like 1

In my experience, the original Mid-spec Kyosho ball diffs were hopeless. No matter how you set them up they always ground the balls into the material facing them until it wore a groove and made it sound like the gearboxes were full of gravel. We tinkered with them for about two months before ditching them and going back to the Mid geared diffs, which were excellent and completely bulletproof.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2018 at 2:27 PM, 78Triumph said:

Man that thing is a rocket!

Wow. Isn't it? Never seen a Mid lift a front wheel while cornering before. Lovely to hear the distinctive sound of a Mid at full tilt again, though. It's been a while.

*Sniffs. Wipes tear.*

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, Yalson said:

Never seen a Mid lift a front wheel while cornering before

Really? Mine always used to do it racing bitd, thought it was a Mid trait! 

The mid and the ultima are the 2 cars I wish I hadn't sold, the ultima is seemingly still in the guys loft I sold it to, and will dig it out, when he gets a chance. The guy I sold the mid to, thinks he left it in the loft when he moved house 😕

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 9:34 PM, Wooders28 said:

Really? Mine always used to do it racing bitd, thought it was a Mid trait! 

😕

No, mine never used to do that. To be honest, I've never seen ANY 1/10 car do it, with an exception when driving on circuits with corners witth extreme adverse camber.

I had an Ultima Pro at one point and I really wish I hadn't sold it. Original 80s/90s spec Ultimas don't seem to come up very often.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 10:38 PM, Yalson said:

To be honest, I've never seen ANY 1/10 car do it, 

It wasn't as full blown, wheel high in the sky, like this now, but used to get more of a bounce as it lifted and dropped, only on carpet though.

Managed to get a bit of a chance to have a look at fitting a slipper.

The K1 fab, I hope would fit, looked to be a lot of work, wrong length shaft etc.

2018-07-06_03-14-55

K2 slipper on the other hand, didn't long that far away, both 5mm shafts, which helps ,😏

2018-07-06_03-15-58

2018-07-06_03-15-17

Lacking a bit in the length department ,(🙄) , so a bit of weld up and turn down in the lathe. 

2018-07-06_03-16-14

Had a test fit, need to bring it in a bit to stop it fouling on the shock.

2018-07-06_03-15-39

Maybe should have taken some pictures of the next steps, but just had head down cracking on. Turned the spacer down to bring it in a bit, drilled and grooved for the E rings.

2018-07-06_03-16-40

Enough clearance for the clutch basket,

2018-07-06_03-16-59

Still a bit close to the shock, after turning the keeper washer down,but isn't touching so I can run it ,😁

2018-07-06_03-17-21

• Like 4

Going to drop the ratio and try it on grass, looks steady as a rock though.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, Wooders28 said:

Anyone on here done the conversion? 

Got the layshaft from the guy on facebook, works perfectly fine

IMG_7435.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bsy2010 said:

Got the layshaft from the guy on facebook, works perfectly fine

IMG_7435.jpg

I'm always a bit sceptical when the same pics are used on different sites by different names (but guessing it might be the same person).

Not much left Optima mid of that Optima mid 🙄😂

21 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I'm always a bit sceptical when the same pics are used on different sites by different names (but guessing it might be the same person).

Not much left Optima mid of that Optima mid

Well, it's my car ;)

And, there is at leat the gearboxes left ;)

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, bsy2010 said:

And, there is at leat the gearboxes left ;)

And the front bumper and rear wing mount. :D

16 hours ago, Yalson said:

And the front bumper and rear wing mount. :D

actually, the bumper is a 3D print ;)

• Haha 2

So a bit of progress.

I wasn't too happy with the softcase Lipo just cable tied into the chassis, so went for, what I would say, what the mid was designed for, saddles.

Went for a 3d printed lipo saddle holder for a procat, courtesy of ,muzzoom models, not quite a perfect fit, and needed to drill the chassis,  but no hardship.

2018-09-17_03-37-13

Found the standard size saddles a bit tall, think I could be them to fit with a bit of adjustment and low pro plugs.

2018-09-17_03-37-52

But had a pair of LCG saddles that were on offer after LRP went under, which give loads of clearance.

2018-09-17_04-02-49

Onto the body...

I bought a reject custom special body from Marwan a while back, and had grand ideas of a flip paint, metal flake ,type paint, box art with a wee twist, well....

2018-09-17_03-59-57

2018-09-17_03-54-55

Turns out the flip paint isn't as easy to use as YouTube makes out, even managed to get no paint in the wing cavity and runs!??! 😳

Time for the elecs.

I wanted the speed of the 3s, but on saddle 2s, so went for a 5.5t Speed passion motor and a newly purchased 10bl120 esc.

All in, don't think she looks too bad.

2018-09-17_03-35-11

2018-09-17_03-36-57

2018-09-17_03-38-40

Just need to figure out what to do with the aerial, for now.its just tucked through the R clip hole! 

Feels like there's enough power to be interesting, just need to get a setup and right tyre choice, hit the track and (hopefully!) scare some modern stuff 😀

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Onto the body...

I bought a reject custom special body from Marwan a while back, and had grand ideas of a flip paint, metal flake ,type paint, box art with a wee twist, well....

2018-09-17_03-59-57

2018-09-17_03-54-55

Turns out the flip paint isn't as easy to use as YouTube makes out, even managed to get no paint in the wing cavity and runs!??! 😳

Kyosho wings were always terrible for that. I used to just get a big, fluffy brush, load it up with paint of the right colour and run it back and forth in the slot until it was covered on both sides. Those wings also split really easily in the corners where the moulded "endplates" meet the actual wing area. The Lazer ZX had an even less convenient biplane version, which had longer versions of the outside half of the endplates with another wing stuck between them. You can imagine how well that lasted.

The Lazer ZX-R had a much more sensible, but smart-looking conventional wing, with easy-to-paint stick-on endplates and an angled section instead of a curved wing area. Try one if you can get hold of one, as it looks great and will last much longer than the flawed, fragile Mid wing.

"Sir, people keep complaining that our wings keep breaking."

"Well, obviously we need to add another one to the first one, so there is a spare in case the first one breaks!"

"But sir..."

"DO IT!"

408497371_LazerZXWing.JPG.79f6fef4ec8f9687bf43c6c3904e4bd1.JPG

• Haha 1

Also, note that whoever painted this otherwise immaculate ZX also couldn't get the paint into the wing endplates properly!

I hope they're not going to try driving on that surface with those tyres.

Much smarter and less fiddly. Other wings are available. As are 2.2" tyres.

879295697_LazerZX-RBoxArt.thumb.jpg.2c108bc6e67278697168761de56329d3.jpg

1 hour ago, Yalson said:

Kyosho wings were always terrible for that.

I remember the Ultima being the same, and having to spray into the paint lid and push a brush down, but that was a flat white colour,so easy to see if you'd missed anywhere, but the flip paint doesn't colour until you back it, by then it's too late 😭

I did get a full decal sheet,  which I'm not using, so could get another body, paint it silver (Box art??).

I think I've a spare K1 wing somewhere, but may look a little odd? 

1 hour ago, Yalson said:

As are 2.2" tyres

I'm not going the 2.2" route, I've argued at the club, and been met with " you wouldn't wear flip flops in the snow, get some proper boots on" , but there's a few options in 2" , and got the 3 types of spike, Schumacher options in the spares box to try.

1 hour ago, Yalson said:

also couldn't get the paint into the wing endplates properly!

Is that not a candy blue, that needs to be backed with white? Just looked like they've not bothered (or experienced enough not to!?) trying to get the blue backed in that part of the wing. 

9 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

😭

I'm not going the 2.2" route, I've argued at the club, and been met with " you wouldn't wear flip flops in the snow, get some proper boots on" , but there's a few options in 2" , and got the 3 types of spike, Schumacher options in the spares box to try.

Fair enough. I was actually referring to the ZX-R in the picture. The ZX-R came with 2.2" wheels, but this owner has retrofitted theirs with Mid 2" wheels. To be faitr, I used to do the same with mine sometimes, as I had so many 2" tyres from my Mid.

• Like 1