Sign in to follow this  

TA03F body dilemma

I have a TA03F chassis but no body. I only want to use official Tamiya shells and preferably vintage ones that were on the TA03F when first released. However finding them is near impossible. Anyone got any other options. I would kind of like a Subaru Brat but not sure it will fit. 

There's plenty - just pick a touring car body. I bought a Subaru impreza shell for mine. No, the brat one wont fit as wheel base wrong. Did get one to fit a TL01 chassis though so owt is possible ... 

257mm, As mentioned loads of choice but you have to keep in mind that up front the motor and gearbox wil have to fit under the bonnet.

As waterbok says, the issue with the TA03F is the motor hanging out the front - so bodies with a short or low nose (like a GT-type body) won't fit.  My gut feeling with the Brat is that the motor will interfere with the grill moulding.

I have a TA03FS with a Landfreeder body on, the TA03FS chassis tub is shorter than the regular TA03F chassis, it still needed a little tweak by swapping the rear lower arms over but the end result is pretty good.  The motor is hidden behind the grille but the very front lip pokes out under the bumper.  I keep meaning to fix it by fabricating a set of bullbars that mount onto the bumper lip but I'm too busy (or too lazy).

I got a TA03F and Brat body will dig them out and take a peek at how it fits.

I went for scale realism with my drifting TA03F. That's one thing I regret Tamiya no longer adhering to, getting the correct driveline for a model. The M-chassis cars are still mostly correct, but touring cars are waaay off.

Anyway, I put a Skyline R32 GT-R on my TA03F David Jun. Period-correct, and with the correct driveline configuration (front motor, fulltime 4WD)

16 hours ago, waterbok said:

I got a TA03F and Brat body will dig them out and take a peek at how it fits.

on the TA03F not a good fit, wheelbase is a couple of mm to long and the front motormount bumper bit is in the way.

I’m using a A4 STW shell from my old TA03F on a TL01 and it fits fine. So I would imaging one of the newer shells from a TL01 would retro fit into a TA03F no problem 

The Matrixline Subaru fits without issue and looks similar to the original 97 WRX. I use that for a drift 03F

Not sure you heard of this brand MartixLine,

front cover big enough for FF, normal wheelbase, but need to cut the sponge bumper!

1.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have used matrixline before. But have decided to stick to tamiya. Tonys tamiya parts has a Opel Vectra touring car which looks to be the right sort of age and is front wheel drive, so think I might try that.