Sign in to follow this  
TurboTimmy

Is This ESC Any Good?

I got one of these Chinese ESCs on Ebay-cheap. Are these any good or should I just buy another Tamiya ESC? I plan on building a custom Baja Bug from a Hornet chassis and use a standard 540 brushed motor with a 7.2v Nimh stick battery. Thanks for any info.

escchina.jpg

If you have already bought that ESC, then give it a try.. One would hope that it could handle a silver can 540 motor, and a 7.2V NiMh battery in a light chassis like a Hornet just fine..

If not, I would buy a HobbyWing Quicrun 1060 ESC instead..

I tried a cheapo 120A Chinese ESC. Was OK on 2S, but did not last long on 3S.

Agree with Backlash. I use the 1060s for brushed cars and as I learnt on here, if you want an easy speed upgrade just put a 3S LIPO in.

I have a different cheapo chinese esc that came in a car I bought - it works but I can't even find out a motor turn limit for it, let alone if there is a way to set the neutral position etc. I wouldn't buy one from choice. I would assume you'll need to run a separate lipo alarm on that one ? even if it has one I'm not sure I would trust it...

I've got both a Hobbywing 1060 and an older 1040. They are pretty good little escs but take a good look at the car its going in, they're a bit stingy with the wire lengths, especially the on/off switch. They actually don't work well in some of my cars because I can't mount the switch somewhere accessible because the wire is too short. Motor wires are better, but still a bit on the short side. I actually avoided buying the Hobbywing for the last couple of escs because the cars it was going in meant that the motor wires wouldn't reach and I couldn't put the switch anywhere sensible. I'd pay a quid or two extra if they added a couple of inches to the wires and put a proper mountable switch (i.e. has screw holes) on. Last time I bought a couple of these instead: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-probe-plus-2-0-brushed-wp-electronic-speed-controller/rc-car-products/397047 I've installed them but not run yet. The wires are much longer and has a mountable switch, 14T (vs 12T for the HW1060) is good enough but the unit itself is a fair bit bigger than the 1060.