toyolien

A Wild One Goes Racing.

My dad and I have done a lot of RC together over the years, from comp crawling and scale trucks to short course racing and Tamiya builds. So, when I mentioned that I was building up a Frog for a spot of Vintage racing, he said he'd like to have a go too. So, as he's only got a stock Fast Attack and Midnight Pumpkin I said I'd rebuild my 5 year old Wild One for him to use.

So, before the strip down, here's a few recent photos of it in action.

pNz5yXl.jpg

bAWY5Yi.jpg

BnVueew.jpg

ojAwFZm.jpg

U8sKo08.jpg

The first thing I decided to do was to swap out the stock Wild One gearbox for a Frog gearbox. While I've only had one previous issue with the stock gearbox, I had a spare Frog gearbox so thought I'd have a go.

I brazed up a simple mount that bolts to the stock upper Wild One mount.

p8P97OO.jpg

Here it is in situ. I'll etch primer it and paint it black.

jcSmbDd.jpg

StUCm7n.jpg

As I had to install it upside down compared to how it fits in the Frog, it left the upper part of the gearbox redundant. I've seen some people cut the top mounting holes off, but as I wanted to keep this one complete in case I needed it as a spare for the Frog in future, I decided make up a simple rear wing mount to try to hide it a little.

nWTtf1B.jpg

zLXHDI7.jpg

K78NYLQ.jpg

The wing is from an RC10 B4, but I did trim it quite a lot. It'll be painted gloss black.

H70dODB.jpg

inlKnrw.jpg

stdPyRw.jpg

That's that time consuming bit done. Now onto the rest of the rebuild. The original chassis had developed the popular crack where the rear suspension mounts bolts to the chassis, so the first thing will be a chassis swap. I may look at trying to fabricate some sort of brace to try to stop It happening again, however, I was pretty hard on it so hopefully racing won't cause the same crack to happen again.

Thanks for looking, and more coming soon.

• Like 8

Could you help me with mine. I just bought a re release wild one. The rims you have on that car, do it they use the same hub adapter as the fast attack veicle. If so do you know if the sand blaster rubber tyres will fit on those rims. also if you have any more information about the wheels and car pls tell me. IM building my wild one right now. Also do you have original electronics or new electronics. If there modern what receiver and controller are you using.

1 minute ago, Ethan12345 said:

Could you help me with mine. I just bought a re release wild one. The rims you have on that car, do it they use the same hub adapter as the fast attack veicle. If so do you know if the sand blaster rubber tyres will fit on those rims. also if you have any more information about the wheels and car pls tell me. IM building my wild one right now.

The sand blaster tyres fit the FAV wheels, but the FAV wheels will not work on the Wild One unless you use the wheel adapters that come on the FAV parts tree, then they're a straight fit. The sand blaster tyres won't fit on the Wild One kit wheels. Hope that helps.

Thankyou

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

The sand blaster tyres fit the FAV wheels, but the FAV wheels will not work on the Wild One unless you use the wheel adapters that come on the FAV parts tree, then they're a straight fit. The sand blaster tyres won't fit on the Wild One kit wheels. Hope that helps.

23 hours ago, toyolien said:

H70dODB.jpg

Mate I’m loving the ‘1/10th scale in a 1/10th scale’ Grasshopper! Genius! It completes the illusion... I’m all confused, I can’t work out how big I am reading this. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Mate I’m loving the ‘1/10th scale in a 1/10th scale’ Grasshopper! Genius! It completes the illusion... I’m all confused, I can’t work out how big I am reading this. 

Thank you. I'm confused too :D

14 hours ago, Ethan12345 said:

what rims did you have on your wild one before in the pictures you showed. how did you pit them on.

They are stock 1.5" Sand Scorchers wheels and tyres with some alloy wheel covers i bought on eBay. The fronts just fit the same, and the rears use the same wheel hubs as found on the Fast Attack parts tree. Like these:

s-l300.jpg

• Thanks 1

Last few night I etched primered the 2 mounts for the Frog gearbox, and finished them off in flat grey. I'm just waiting for the paint to properly harden before re-fitting them.

E7ymity.jpg

And whilst in between the coats I also painted the rear wing black. I also added a front shock tower brace, as they tend to bend in a roll over. Even more so on the track I would imagine. So, hopefully this should take care of it.

pC9WT1B.jpg

quvlOEL.jpg

Next up will be assembling it all back together and installing the electrics.

• Like 3

Where did you get the front brace from? I have a FAV with aftermarket WO suspension and noticed the front towers were bending. Gotta expect it to happen when you whack a 4000kV in it and race with a bunch of mad drivers :D I had to make a shield for the rear of the motor cage as it was scrubbing out when doing wheelies.

19 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

Where did you get the front brace from? I have a FAV with aftermarket WO suspension and noticed the front towers were bending. Gotta expect it to happen when you whack a 4000kV in it and race with a bunch of mad drivers :D I had to make a shield for the rear of the motor cage as it was scrubbing out when doing wheelies.

Crikey, sounds fast!

The brace is actually a suspension link from an old Axial crawler kit. They are 106mm long so I had to cut about 3mm off, but works great. I found the part number for you:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/216455/

• Like 1

Thanks for the part number, will track one down and get it installed.

Goes pretty quick, and doesn't steer that well.... but heaps of fun. Have dropped it back to a 3000kV now to try and look after the gearbox and chassis (from sudden stops into unmovable objects).