TurboTimmy

Brand New Venom Battery Needs Charged

I was testing my new Baja Bug today with a stock brushed 540 and a New Rain 480 ESC. I have a brand new Venom 7.2v 3000maH nimh that I had not used yet. It only lasted a few minutes and then the car acted like the battery was already out of juice. Other Venom batteries I have did not do this when they were new. Do new batteries sometimes need charged before use? Or could it be the cheapie ESC? Thanks.

17 minutes ago, TurboTimmy said:

Do new batteries sometimes need charged before use?

I thought all batteries need charged before use!

(except alkaline etc obviously🙄😂)

• Like 1

None of the NiCd/NiMh batteries that I have bought over the years have been supplied fully charged... At best they would have a small "storage charge" to keep the cells alive while they were sitting in the shop waiting to be sold, but they would always need to be charged before use...

The only exception to that is the AA size NiMh cells that I use in my radio's that sometimes marked as " Ready to Use" (i.e. pre-charged) but even then I still top them off on the charger before use, especially if I'm going to be running my cars for a while, as you never really know exactly how much of the original charge the cells still hold..

The issue with NiMh cells is that they will self discharge over time (i.e. they will go flat even when not being used), and that is why you need to store them partially charged or with a "Storage Charge".. 

Thanks Guys. I charged it a little bit to see what would happen-and so far it runs okay. I need to run the battery all the way down again to make sure it gets fully charged with my charger.

Is the ESC set to lipo mode?, 

The ESC may cut the power when the voltage is low. Check ESC manual for voltage cut off settings.

I removed the ESC and looked once more-it does have a NIMH setting and a LiPo setting. It was on the Nimh setting and I also changed the throttle setting to Forward-Brake-Reverse. It was on Forward-Reverse and I noticed that every time I got off the throttle, it would automatically brake and spin 180 degrees. I realize that probably has nothing to do with the low charged battery......Since I changed it the Bug has given me zero trouble. Thanks for your suggestions, gentlemen.

Every nimh battery I've ever purchased may have a small charge which was enough to basically turn the ESC on to make sure it works. I would always give it a full charge before I actually run it though.