Juggular

Weight loss, health improvement stories?

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

I've been taking whey protein.

I got some bad news. 

Did you know that 100% whey protein can cause massive insulin spikes? Many don’t! In fact, those on ketogenic diets are told to avoid 100% whey protein drinks because they can throw you out of ketosis.

https://pescience.com/blogs/blog/lesson-9-avoid-massive-insulin-spikes-from-your-whey

I actually learned this from reading through the comments of a Dietdoctor recipe.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/sullivans-kedough-pizza

I'm Brooke Stickleback there, in case you read and are curious to see my recipe change recommendations (mine are at the very bottom). 

• Like 1

Oh, Crabby Crabster! 

Larger insulin spike than white bread?  Now that's surprising.  hmmm...  Maybe it makes sense... it is highly processed milk protein, after all.  I don't eat anything for 20 hours every day, per intermittent fasting.  Insulin drops during that time.  So insulin pertaining to diabetes, I'm not worried about.  

But kicking me out of keto...  That explains why I felt weak, like I was going back to keto every few days.  I guess I was mostly on regular intermittent fasting, and only occasionally getting into keto when I didn't take whey protein... lol. 

To get the minimum WHO recommended amount of protein, I'd have to eat 3 cod fillets + 1 hamburger patty and 1 egg in one sitting.  My stomach kinda shrinks after 20 hours.  I'll puke if I ate that much.  Which is why drinking protein a couple hours later was useful.  I'll have to figure out a way to get more protein without spiking insulin.  Maybe pea protein.  My wife got me a bunch of plant-based protein powders.  I mix 4-6 different stuff and drink it.  I add half a teaspoon of other weird stuff like moringa, ashwagandha and some mushroom powder too.  These are supposed to give me different types of protein, rather than fully relying on whey.  Maybe they should substitute for whey entirely.  

At this point though, we may lose weight just by eating one proper meal a day.  We are on 16 and 20 hour intermittent fasting too.  Keto was going to be the coup de grace.  I've been a pasty nerd all my life, I like working out now.  So I can be a pasty fit nerd.  But if I have carb, I feel like a wet sponge.  So definitely, I'll have to rethink what I'm doing.  

Thanks for the heads up!  

• Like 1

Hi All

Thought I would add my two pennies worth as we are pouring out on here which is really good! 

I am 36 I am 6'6 or about 1.98m and currently weigh 18 stone 114kg I really should exercise more than I do, In my 20's I was very fit used to run alot and cycle everywhere before that I played rugby and alot of golf got to 3 handicap I was at my prime. I lived at home and my mother would dote on me and make me any meal I wanted so if I wanted healthy meals that is what I would get. It was easy to be fit strong and athletic! However shortly after I met my now wife I was getting horrible pains in my feet and knees went to the doctors and after about 2 years I was diagnosed with gout. kind of drove me to be more healthier even though I was hardly unhealthy apparently gout is inherited and just something that I have to deal with. So as a result of this diagnoses I have completely cut out sugary drinks (except tea) and I try not to eat anything processed, if I drink one cheap beer fosters for example I am bed ridden the next day so I rarely drink and when I do I drink a couple of ciders! I very rarely get an attack now when I do its normally because I have been out and eaten too much or forgotten myself and had a beer

So where am I at these days?

I have 3 children Eldest boy 7, middle girl 5 and youngest boy 16 months I am very busy with them and most of my time with them is running around like a blue ******* fly or just being a Dad. We cycle alot and walk alot this keeps the weight as it is not great but I can still sprint across the field and scoop up my kids that's all I want to be able to do and as the wife says as long as I can still pick her up shes happy (shes weighs 8 stone) 

Its all about life choices and priorities just maintain that its not about money its about time

Anyway as I am gushing about my family here we all are im the big bald twat at the back 

download.thumb.png.92f3560228008fbc4beb54582cdcef77.png

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Juggular said:

Wow, you are a big guy!  Beautiful family too!  

Thanks very much

• Like 1

I was aiming for 160lb.  Now I'm fluctuating from 159.8 lb (72.5kg) to about 161.5lb (73.2kg).   

I'll try to go down to 157lb (71kg).  This is a bit tricky, as I'm gaining a bit of muscle to escape the pasty-cubicle-nerd-look.  I think I was about 160 when I was 20 years old. My belt size was 30 then.  I'm same weight now, but the belt size is 33.  My legs are skinnier, but my arms are bigger now.  If I could add 5 pounds to my legs, and lose as much from my belly, that would be ideal.  

I'm still eating one meal + a protein shake 4 hours later.  I have been eating fat-only for 2-3 days a week.  (Just when I'm getting into ketosis, I'm out of it ...so that's kinda sad... but 2 giant bags of gummy bears are still untouched.)  If I fast for 2 days, I always drop a pound, but I don't think I need to fast anymore.  Maybe I'll do it every 6 months, just to clear arteries.  

One massive problem has been going to the loo.  Since I eat half, going once in 2 days is understandable, but 3 days feels quite uncomfortable. Even with Metamucil.  (Apparently it's made out of psyllium husk. Then I realized, "Kingfisher's pizza recipe had psyllium husk!")  Considering the history of colon cancer in my family, I think I'll go back to oatmeal if I can't get enough veggies.  No use being thin if I'm dead, I suppose.  With oatmeal, I should be able to go to the bathroom like clockwork. 

It's lunch time, I am a bit hungry because the last dinner was rice noodles. (My wife loves Vietnamese noodle soup, called "Pho." I wasn't able to stand the scent of cilantro, but now I'm so used to it. Thomas DeLauer, the fasting-body-builder, raved about pho too.)  Having had carb, though, I am hungry.  If I had a pork chop like I usually get from the Vietnamese restaurant, I won't be hungry now.  But this is like "I feel like eating something" at midnight.  You can ignore it, and it goes away.  It will come back one more time at 3PM, and if I ignore it, I'll be hungry again at 5 or 6, which is dinner time anyway.  I'll have the protein shake at 10 PM, and I won't eat anything until tomorrow evening.  

I even want to work out for an hour every other day.  I bought the 10 pound dumbbells on the July 5th.  I don't think I EVER worked out 2 months straight in my life.  I didn't have the energy when I was eating 3 meals.  Strange how starving for 20 hours gets you going.  

WTVEJW8.jpg?1

eM9g22H.jpg

u9wNrIe.jpg

• Like 1

Thought I’d throw my progress in with my health kick over the last couple of months. I’m 35, 6’4”, and started at around 112kg, which was a similar weight for the last 15 or so years. I’ve got some advanced arthritis in my knee, have had recent shoulder surgery and hips are both arthritic with torn labrums and needing surgery at some point soon. So vigorous exercise isn’t something that’s been an option. When I was younger I did cross country running, wrestling, and played field hockey. Even when doing that a few times a week i was a similar weight. I wouldn’t have considered myself overweight, just a more solid build but definitely carried extra weight around my middle. Most people in my family are a similar build so put it down to genetics. But in hindsight I definitely should have been a bit trimmer.  

Ive been a carpenter for the last 15 years but have been off the tools for 12 months because of the body issues. I was really worried I was going to blow out in weight but only put on a couple of kilos and got to 112. 

I decided to go on the low carb diet, cut out sugar and change a few eating habits. I’ve been doing it for about 2.5 months now and it’s been fantastic! It was hard to get out of the habit of breads and pasta, and early on I broke a few times. But for the last 6 weeks I’ve been really committed and try and limit myself to about 30-40g of carbs a day, which is usually by way of a couple of low carb beers and some carbs in vegetables. I feel completely different in myself, I’ve got way more energy, I’m not feeling hungry all the time and I’m not crapping 3 times a day like I used to! 

I’ve dropped down to 102.5kg with zero exercise and think Ill get to 95 the way I’m going. 

I found some really simple alternatives to the things I love. Instead of pasta I spiralise zucchini, and it tastes better too. Instead of flour pizza bases I make the fat head pizza recipe and it’s super simple and tasty. My wife makes broccoli or cauliflower bread which is great to have with some dip or make toasted sandwiches. If I have a couple of beers I get the really low carb, and I love coke as well as bourbon and coke on the weekends, so coke Zero it is. 

The best part of it all is that I’m still eating plenty of fatty foods that I love like meat, bacon and cheeses. 

• Like 2

Nice work and congrats. Once you get used to it and learn to read food labels, it gets really easy to keep up with. The zero exercise is the icing on the cake.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Nice work and congrats. Once you get used to it and learn to read food labels, it gets really easy to keep up with. The zero exercise is the icing on the cake.

Thanks mate, I should be able to start on the cross trainer and weight station soon too. If I can get into the habit of dragging my *** out of bed nice and early each morning and aim for 20 mins of cardio and 20 mins of weights in the garage I should be off and flying 😊

• Like 1