Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon Gillham

Shoe Goo?

I have read that shoe goo is great to repair or reinforce body shells. What I don't know is the active ingredient and whether I need to find shoe goo brand in particular, or just and shoe repair stuff. Specifically I want to put some on my Touring Car shell to prevemt damage if that is a thing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I can recommend Shoe Goo... it’s perfect for shell damage prevention in the first place but equally for repairs and even as a glue to hold things in place, Like metal washers around body post holes for added strength.

If the shell is already cracked you could just lay some tape over the crack and then coat it all with shoe goo... some cricket bat repair tape or reinforced stuff for added strength.

• Like 2

Oh.. the brand is “Shoe Goo” you can find it on EBay etc 

It's just silicone sealant, as far as I can tell. Any brand should work.

You used to be able to buy it at Number One Shoes. It's about $18-20 for a tube. Also Duratraxx (sp) sell the Shoe Goo tube in their own little see through bag :lol:

Get some dry wall tape too.

Rebel Sport have it but I don't go there very often. I have seen other brands like Selleys in places that i go more often but have put off buying it in case there is something about Shoe Goo in particular that makes it work better. Due to laziness I will probably try another brand and ruin a body and still have to buy the right stuff!

Might not be helpful for your intended purpose, but i have been using Shoo Goo brand adhesive for years when gluing tires to rims.  I use it because unlike super glue, you can peel them apart later without doing any damage and the Shoo Goo just peels away from the parts.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, markbt73 said:

It's just silicone sealant, as far as I can tell. Any brand should work.

It's different than regular silicone, it bonds and dries differently than the silicone you can get in the tube.  It also doesn't have that chemical smell either.  I've tried regular silicone in it's place and it just doesn't work the same. 

• Like 1

Shoe Goo will harden more than silicone. Silicone wouldn't be good on the bottom of your shoes.

• Like 2

Btw there is one pretty similar Tamiya equivalent :

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/r-c-maintenance-supplies-65500/rc-pc-body-reinforcing-cement-87190

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

It's different than regular silicone, it bonds and dries differently than the silicone you can get in the tube.  It also doesn't have that chemical smell either.  I've tried regular silicone in it's place and it just doesn't work the same. 

I thought something like this would be the case, I will suck it up and go to the shops I hate, during school holidays, and buy the right one.

• Like 1

There's a brand called "shoe glu" that works the same too, you can usually get it on ebay. 

I also tried the stuff from poundland called elastic fantastic or something but wasn't as good. After one use, the entire tube solidified in a matter of days even with the cap on. And it was annoying to work with too. I find with shoe goo and glu, it can hold dry wall tape in place as soon as you apply it but with the poundland stuff, you'd come back to it half an hour later and the tape had lifted up all over the place which sort of defeats the object. You could just use it without tape I guess and it will still give some reinforcement but obviously it's a lot better with drywall tape/scrim tape.

• Like 1

Get it in the bay, it's about 10 bucks for the original Shoe Goo. I can only recommend it.

I have used shoe goo spread over plasterer's skrim tape (mesh) to repair heavy body damage to polycarbonate.

In fact the next body I do I will put this combo round all the usual places as a preventative measure as it's lightweight and strong as anything!

I have also used it to glue cable ties to a plastic body to act as wiring harnesses for a LED light kit.

Its brilliant as it's removable after its set.

15315209676978647319526857395495.jpg

• Like 3

I have just been searching through my eBay history and discovered it is actually Zap goo I used.

But I have recently bought some shoo goo to repair my poly-carb body so I will let you know how I get on....

15322505455339164896850007568054.jpg

15322506635147795755724649090576.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 6:31 PM, Bugged out said:

Used it to mount the lights too....👍

15315210480307899398564239204485.jpg

That's a brilliant idea!  I'll be using that method for sure!

• Like 1