Saito2

Which car would you keep?

Nothing wrong with sentimentality, I have my Grandfather’s toolbox where I keep all his tools he left me and the best condition Ulmia wood plane (he was a master cabinet maker) but my most loved possession part from lots of memories is his Edelweiss ring which he was awarded for his time in the Gebirgsjager (German mountain troops). I still wear it today. I can’t imagine parting with either the Vette or the MGB..

• Like 3

On July 28, 2018 at 8:18 AM, Saito2 said:

Automatics in sports cars go together like chewing gum and walnuts for me.

You know, it's funny; I'm usually the same way, but I think C3/C4 Corvettes are one of the rare exceptions. I've driven both an '84 4+3 and an '86 automatic, and I think I liked the automatic better. It just suited the "cruiser" character of the car, for me, at least.

The scariest Corvette I ever got to drive was a '58 with a 4 speed. Manual steering, manual brakes, ridiculously heavy clutch, no seat belts, no roof, and 270 (?) horsepower... and the owner in the passenger seat egging me on to go faster...

• Like 2

I think of this when I hear "sentimental car."  I got it when I was maybe 10 years old. There was a set of 36 cars or so. 

I didn't know why I liked it best.  Only later, I realized that it has a rudimentary single leaf suspension per axle. 

30+ years later, most are lost.  Half a dozen remaining cars went to my nephew.  This wasn't his favorite, because it's not as sleek as Lamborghini, so I asked for it.  It's on my desk now.  I fixed the sagging plastic leaf suspension with piano wire, and it's just as bouncy as before.  I had painted the roof brown, and the enamel held up well through many children. (This was before acrylic paint was available)  I'm debating whether or not the original ivory roof would look better...

cX9yCGN.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

The scariest Corvette I ever got to drive was a '58 with a 4 speed.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to run an old C1 solid axle Vette hard. I couldn't get into the huge wheel in your lap and upright seating position. C2s are perfect (and quite expensive). Good size, IRS, descent balance in the small block cars, classy. The C3s are mechanically much the same but there's a lot of "extra" car. Narrow waist with a huge front end. They look nice but aren't a functionally practical as a C2 to me.