Peter_B

My Monster Beetle re-release

The Monster Beetle has been an iconic RC car for me ever since I was a kid, as I'm sure it was for many members here.

Even before I got an RC car I remember seeing them in the local Beatties and in my mums catalogues (Brits of a certain age will know what I'm talking about). Most commonly pictured alongside the likes of the Lunchbox, Thundershot and Hornet.

Despite always wanting one I never got one. My first RC ended up being a Hornet and later, when I did get round to getting an ORV based model, I got a Blackfoot. There were other models as well - Super Sabre, Avante 2001, ProCAT - before I stepped away from the hobby, but never a Monster Beetle.

So, last year I pick up the hobby again, but still I didn't get a Monster Beetle.

That is until Tamico included it in their pre-Christmas sale. It was too good a deal to pass up. So I ordered one, it arrived and I stashed it away to build in the spring.

A couple of months ago, being off work sick, the opportunity presented itself and I spent half a day putting it together.

I didn't take any pictures during or document the build process - most folks round here could build one in their sleep anyway.

Once the chassis was built I came to a halt as I really don't have the knowledge nor skills to do a good job of the body.

To get around my lack of ability I boxed up all of the body related parts and shipped them off to my good friend @jonboy1 who knows a thing or two about throwing paint around :)

i got the body back earlier this week and was finally able to marry the painted body to the chassis.

Here's the result...

kNj_fYzvnHy8y6O6oIx3jJW47Oxag6fmFy-6Q4AC

cpWKLOIvxcqcES4kaI2hg8_IkBt92FQ3HYeAr40y

WZ_HFnydcIg1RliXWvP5gk5ajRwzsgfABRu3z_ku

i think it looks stunning! Jon has smashed it with the paintwork.

He even fitted some custom 3d printed license plates instead of the standard kit decals.

Other than the stunning body it's built as per the manual. The only additions being a set of bearings and an @mheald gearbox brace kit that I was fortunate enough to buy from another forum member.

I'm really pleased with how it has turned out and can't thank @jonboy1 enough for lending his skills to the project 

• Like 12

That looks great, it looks so much better painted than just leaving it the standard red body (which I did as my son will trash this body anyway). I should really buy a new body and give painting it a go after seeing yours!

• Like 1

Aww shucks!!! You'll make me cry :P

Modesty prevents me from saying anything, but the gold base with candy red over the top really pops in sunlight, and the little touches of filling the redundant body post holes and blending the nose cone in really take it to another level.

But as I said, modesty prevents me.

Really, really glad you like it though, happy to help out mate ;) didn't actually want to give it back to be honest! :D

• Like 1

Nice job, great to see the the silver/chrome trims painted in to just under the windows & along the guttering it sets them off a treat.

• Like 1

Wow, that's really well finished. Definitely way better with the nose joint filled in, awesome paint job. Hope mine comes out as good as that! 

• Like 1

That is probably the best paint job I have seen on the Monster Bettle - a credit to the painter! I would be too scared to run it and get a second body to bash around with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kalsh said:

That is probably the best paint job I have seen on the Monster Bettle - a credit to the painter! I would be too scared to run it and get a second body to bash around with.

I do indeed have another body for running - a lexan one from Kamtec.

And yes, heaps of praise for @jonboy1 

• Like 1

Any idea exactly which paint colors were used on this?  That paint job is stunning. 

• Like 1

I don't know exactly. I believe they were Alclad paints rather than Tamiya though.

I'm sure @jonboy1 will confirm. Unless he wants to hold on to his trade secrets that is ;)

I have to say... not only is it well painted, but I can also see that you took great care when taking these photos too.  

Running this would be a crime. 

Use your runner body, runner bumpers and runner wheels and tires.  

Someone on ebay had them over a year ago. I purchased the aluminum rear body brace for my beetle which i cracked, never broke the body mounts.... yet

On 8/3/2018 at 4:36 PM, racer1 said:

Any idea exactly which paint colors were used on this?  That paint job is stunning. 

On 8/3/2018 at 6:27 PM, Peter_B said:

I don't know exactly. I believe they were Alclad paints rather than Tamiya though.

I'm sure @jonboy1 will confirm. Unless he wants to hold on to his trade secrets that is ;)

:P the initial plan was alclad but I couldn't get a finish I was happy with. So I stripped it back and went with Tamiya paints.

I think the final choice was primer, gloss black, gold, clear red. I can't remember if I went over it with clear after I put the decals on, I think I did? :huh: