OCD

M06 Beetle Kustom

I built an M06 up from spares and hop-ups I had on hand. Really it's pretty standard fare and didn't think it was substantive enough to bother documenting.

Instead I figure I'll just provide a quick rundown of the ingredients so far:

• M06 chassis I assembled from mostly leftovers of my previous S15 project
  • 53571 fluorine damper set; Tech Racing blue adjusters, 53876 1mm down retainers, blue trf springs rear/yellow front, two-hole pistons front & rear, #200 oil front/ #400 rear
  • Gear diff with some putty, which is probably too stiff to be driveable, so this may get swapped to a ball diff
  • 54268 aluminum motor mount & DF03 heatsink bar
  • Sport Tuned motor
  • Sway-bar kit I made from spares :D
  • 54604 body mount extensions, as the front posts I had on hand were already too short for the Beetle body
  • 54361 & 54362 carbon damper stays
  • Tech Racing +7mm wide front axles
  • 54237 low-friction kingpins
  • Bunch of pretty aluminum, titanium, & stainless hardware

I'm still swapping around wheel and tire combinations, and have a few tricks up my sleeve for the body trim, which will be the bulk of this thread.

I've been trying to narrow down my color choice. Currently I am at:

1. PS-40 pink backed with PS-23 gunmetal
  2. PS-40 pink backed with PS-49 blue
  3. PS-44 green backed with PS-23 gunmetal

I think I have too much paint :lol:

Input or suggestions?

20180708_185550 (2).jpg

20180708_200517 (4).jpg

• Like 5

I dont know about the color, but I know this body with this rims in the rear, that offset, and the front also,

looks amazing hotrod-ish.

looking forward for more updates.

edit: about the color, if going with pink, would be cool maybe to see some tribal grahics on the side, like this in the picture, and maybe a scale surfboard on top. Or am I goint the wrong direction of this build? :)

otherwise if one colord, I would go with green.

2186FE07-EDDD-4BC9-81FB-2C26BFE2E1F0-2342-0000076A0EDABE3A.jpeg

A8B4DAD1-66BF-4343-8402-3B575043D319-2342-0000076A1C9E176F.png

7D1D6018-3742-448D-BCD5-0DF9E6982351-2342-0000076A2EE7E035.jpeg

Solid green would indeed be cool..but so would be tribal pink. Looking forward for this one!

11 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

if going with pink, would be cool maybe to see some tribal grahics on the side, like this in the picture, and maybe a scale surfboard on top. Or am I goint the wrong direction of this build?

You've read my mind B)

I do in fact have a surfboard, and and some similar ideas:

14115705488_b5878bd059_b.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, _oliK said:

Solid green would indeed be cool..but so would be tribal pink. Looking forward for this one!

I actually contemplated a solid, dark green, but I already have an M01 Mini that color, and I have a strong affinity for metallics. Strong. :D 

df0a97b79867302b61be22b28e42f2f9--fancy-cars-nice-cars.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Tamiya metallic purple looks really good...

Remarkably, I don't have that color :rolleyes:

Although I do think the translucent pink backed with the anodized blue will give me a purple. Gonna do a test sample in a bit.

Good luck with the test sample! If it doesn't work, a can of Tamiya PS paint in metallic purple is a good investment if metallic paints are your thing. It looks really rich and deep and sparkly, great in both sunlight and shadows.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've wrestled with the the fact that I love that purple color but can't justify buying anymore paint until I get through some of my hoard :rolleyes: although I'd probably opt for the translucent purple, as the tints give you so many more options for backing.

The photo quality isn't really demonstrating the true range of colors I ended up with, but here's both the pink and green backed with both gunmetal and PS-48 blue in the lighter sections:

20180715_225827 (2).jpg

Yep, I think so too.

Here's another pic in the sunlight:

rcYXs2K.jpg?2

It's still a bit difficult to capture the full range of colors, but I think this shows how much depth you get from that gunmetal backing.

I'm thinking deep magenta :wub:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, _oliK said:

Gureeen!

lol, you're not making this any easier ;)

I really wanted to do green, but it just doesn't look dark enough for my liking. I thought maybe I could experiment and see if I could get a darker result, but that magenta is just calling out to me  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Using poster tack putty to mask the running lights:

85WcO9W.jpg

sollRQv.jpg

• Like 1

Poster-tack for masking?  That's fantastic!  I wish I would have thought of this or known about this years ago.  There were a number of bodies I did where masking with tape was a tremendous hassle.  I'm definitely keeping this idea in mind for the future!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Poster-tack for masking?  That's fantastic!  I wish I would have thought of this or known about this years ago.  There were a number of bodies I did where masking with tape was a tremendous hassle.  I'm definitely keeping this idea in mind for the future!

I think I learned of this technique on this forum? In any case it's a perfect solution for masking any kind of pocket area that is too narrow to properly tape off; Instead of a half-hour of mediocre masking, I get sharper lines with about 5 minutes of effort. It's also incredibly cheap as I'm still using the same lump I bought nearly a decade ago :lol:

PS-40 coat, no turning back now

16lqMzu.jpg

Grape juice!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I also was a tape masking guy, and really was good at it, bu sometimes in thight areas the paint would just run through.

but my buddy was into some sick design painting like tribals flames, and this is really a good thing, if doing hard designs, you can paint the hole boddy from inside and then you go layer by layer, paint from the outside on the protection foil with a marker, and from the inside draw lines with a working knife,  of course, big planning is needed.

http://www.bittydesign.net/en/liquid-mask

@OCD, good choice I would say! Going for the one color design?

O.K.

What an epically weird color this turned out to be -- I *really* wanted a nice and dark color and was worried that if I didn't lay down enough of the pink I'd end up with something brighter than I was shooting for. So I went crazy on the pink, more so than I did with the test sample, and then gave it solid backing with the gunmetal. It's a beautiful color in person, but holy moly photographing this color accurately is next to impossible. I ended up taking photos in different lighting, with diffused-sunlight appearing closest to reality, and the studio lighting looking the absolute worst :blink: Overall I quite pleased with it, but it won't be easy to photograph.

The results:

FagKG4B.jpg

4HJudOt.jpg

NFnS0jG.jpg

nprjdS1.jpg

6tn5rPP.jpg

• Like 6

Yup, looks on pictures strange. But good! 

Same with my color ps-16, in no light, black letter stickers are not visible on the pictures, but in real the blue has some, silver metalic pearl inside and is in light a bit silver-ish. 

So I believe also with this, looks to me when not exposed to light like dark cherry, in the studio like dark orange but i believe its not. 😄

• Thanks 1

Wow, lookd really strange inside but bathed in sunlight...gorgeous. Also, I love the rear wheels, makes for a great cal-looker. If only they weren't that wide.

• Thanks 1

Got sidetracked with other projects, but back and ready to get into the details ^_^

Here's some of what I'm augmenting the original decal set with, starting with this black chrome and matte rubber flex line decals from Wrap-Up Next:

IO60l4h.jpg

I'm using the black chrome rather than bright chrome since this will be alongside some of the original decals that are really a duller silver. The matte black stuff is basically adhesive-backed silicone, and looks exactly like real rubber weather stripping.

I was also excited to use these, but noticed that unfortunately none of them are the correct size for this body:

vZu8gMI.jpg?1

The original is about 10mm, while the closest foil versions are 8 & 13mm, so I'm going to do a trial-fitting and see if I can accept the difference in scale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dc-arena said:

Ooh I fancy and M-06 and a Beetle would be cool.

Is your body from this kit?: https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Volkswagen-Kaefer-M-06-Bausatz-58572

Annnd, how did you make the rear wheels wider like that? It looks cool!

Yep, that's the body I am using. The M06 is the absolutely *perfect* chassis for the bug -- motor hanging aft of the rear axle, as it should be B)

The rear wheels are a from Surging, which have a slightly wider offset than stock. The tires are vintage Duratrax 1.5" slicks intended for Tamiya three-piece front wheels. Probably unsuitable for any running but I'm into the "fun" look they give to the overall form. Not entirely sure if I'm going to keep them, as the theme is evolving as I progress. I have more options to experiment with after the body details are sorted.

vO22eLi.jpg