Sign in to follow this  
Lhodgo

TRF 501X running electrics

Hi all, have picked up a nice TRF501x roller. This is all new to me as I’m a brushed vintage guy. Can I get some recommendations for battery/motor/esc for running, not competition...just mega fun. Wouldn’t mind it if I surprise the guys at the local track when they see me coming with an old tamiya...

I would look at either a 17.5T brushless as geared properly this gives a nice turn of speed and isn't crazy fast so you won't break anything, well, less likely to. Its also a pretty standard stock class around the world so you could enter at the local track. Otherwise I would look at 8.5T, its really what these buggies were designed for. Get a decent ESC which can be programmed and you could run that in mod class.

I wouldn't go cheap like GoolRC etc on the electronics, look at Hobbywing 

I recently picked up a DB01R which is the plastic chassis version of the 501. Same drivetrain and suspension though. I am running mine with a Speed Passion 8.5 (4400kv) brushless and the Hobbywing QUICRUN BL120 ESC which seems like a solid, good value setup with plenty of tunability. There are plenty of other brand motors out there though. Couple of things though. You are like me - a vintage guy new to this. I have been constantly faffing and checking the ball diffs and slipper clutch and I am getting a bit annoyed with that. The pros of running a "stock" 17.5 as Jonathan suggests is that you probably ditch the slipper clutch which is one less headache, but you will probably have to look at both pinion and spur as you will need a much lower final drive ratio than with a powerful motor. For example I am running a 20t pinion on a 91t spur which is 9.15 final drive ratio. 17.5t needs something around 6? @Jonathon Gillham what do you say?

Batteries wise, you definitely need Lipo and I believe the old 501 was restricted to saddle packs (2 small packs one either side of the belt) without modification. There is a Facebook Group called TRF Off Road which is worth joining as plenty of guys on there are still running and developing 501/511 chassis.

As an extra aside, I agree with Jonathon on the electronics too. I have a sensorless 4370kv trackstar kit that came with my DN01 2wd. It's really punchy but running on the track for the first time yesterday I was very much struck by how much less smooth and controllable the pick up from closed or nearly closed throttle was compared to my sensored setups. 

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I recently picked up a DB01R which is the plastic chassis version of the 501. Same drivetrain and suspension though. I am running mine with a Speed Passion 8.5 (4400kv) brushless and the Hobbywing QUICRUN BL120 ESC which seems like a solid, good value setup with plenty of tunability. There are plenty of other brand motors out there though. Couple of things though. You are like me - a vintage guy new to this. I have been constantly faffing and checking the ball diffs and slipper clutch and I am getting a bit annoyed with that. The pros of running a "stock" 17.5 as Jonathan suggests is that you probably ditch the slipper clutch which is one less headache, but you will probably have to look at both pinion and spur as you will need a much lower final drive ratio than with a powerful motor. For example I am running a 20t pinion on a 91t spur which is 9.15 final drive ratio. 17.5t needs something around 6? @Jonathon Gillham what do you say?

Batteries wise, you definitely need Lipo and I believe the old 501 was restricted to saddle packs (2 small packs one either side of the belt) without modification. There is a Facebook Group called TRF Off Road which is worth joining as plenty of guys on there are still running and developing 501/511 chassis.

Yep that sounds right to me. I pretty much just tighten the slipper up on the Lazer and run an eliminator on my Ultima as you don't really need a slipper on 17.5T. 

@ThunderDragonCy is spot on with those FDR's. Just check the temps after a short run. The FDR should be easy to get to as you should be able to swap spurs easily enough.

Saddle packs are still really common, quite a few run them at my club. My Lazer can use them but I run shorties as they fit in all my cars.

Definitely go for a sensored setup rather than sensorless. Trackstar gear is fine, I've had no problems with it and its great value.

• Like 1