mongoose1983

1981 Toyota Hilux 2wd truck

This precious little truck was given to me by a good friend. Never seen it running, but I do remember seeing the same chassis on a yellow Kyosho VW Bug. So it is a new experience altogether. The truck has the original Robbe manual, and comes equipped with a very nice Robbe 27mhz radio and needs a little work. The chassis' "nose" was repaired but it seems to be in working conditions. I now plan to dismantle it and getting to know it better from then on so I can restore it later.

A couple of pictures before I go through it with the screwdriver, haha.

GMGlKgo.jpg

IVMeHrm.jpg

8PxIVxI.jpg

More one of these days.

You all have a good week! :)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

Cool, is that the one where you’ve got a syringe to inflate the tyres?

Haha, yes. I've got that "pump" with it but I doubt these old dry tires can take any more punches with it :P

I almost bought one of them in 1980-81. but fortunately held out until the Scorpion/Beetle came out... though with hindsight I wish I'd got one when I'd had the chance.

1 hour ago, martinjpayne said:

I almost bought one of them in 1980-81. but fortunately held out until the Scorpion/Beetle came out... though with hindsight I wish I'd got one when I'd had the chance.

It is interesting to see your comment, as with Kyosho release dates are usually a mystery. I haven't been able to find a correct date of release for meany of their classic RC vehicles, this one being just another example of that. I see 1982 coming up in some places as release date, but I can't be sure. Some people say this Toyota Hilux is from 1984, while you remember it back in 80-81. A big mystery. :rolleyes:

You could be right with the 1982 date: I thought earlier because I believe my mate bought a Tamiya B2B Racing Sidecar on that shopping trip. The Hilux / Sand Skipper was available before the Kyosho Scorpion was released, and that came out in 1982 I think?

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 9:52 AM, mongoose1983 said:

It is interesting to see your comment, as with Kyosho release dates are usually a mystery. I haven't been able to find a correct date of release for meany of their classic RC vehicles, this one being just another example of that. I see 1982 coming up in some places as release date, but I can't be sure. Some people say this Toyota Hilux is from 1984, while you remember it back in 80-81. A big mystery. :rolleyes:

I vote 1982.

I think in my research, the earliest appearance for these nice models in a catalogue etc, is 1982. Which is the same year as the Scorpion.

But if anyone has seen them appear earlier in documentation, please let us know :)

Ah very good. Thank you. They were definitely at least 1981 then...

No Volkswagen Baja Bug though... I think that still came out in 1982 (hopefully my site is still correct on that). The Bug even came with a separate instruction leaflet to the other two (which shared a leaflet), suggesting it was the third in the series and began production separately to the others.

Kyosho Eleck Peanuts is confirmed as 1978 from Kyosho. Predating the SRBs by a whole year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

1981 catalogue, see no scorpion but includes Sandskipper / Hilux...

http://www.dirt-burners.com/rcdox/Catalogs/Kyosho/1981 - Kyosho Catalog (JP).pdf

this is an excellent resource, thank you kindly!

not sure if there's better links out there, but here you can find some catalog scans uploaded by Tamiyaclub member Richytanimal:

I really do like the models Kyosho produced during this era, and there is a *lot* of it to be sure, :blink: but it's so poorly documented the entire lineup has an almost mythological feel to it :lol:

On 7/16/2018 at 1:25 PM, mongoose1983 said:

Haha, yes. I've got that "pump" with it but I doubt these old dry tires can take any more punches with it :P

out of curiosity, how dry are they? are they visibly cracking? or do they just feel dry? There might be a way to restore it if they're not too far gone?

Subscribing to this thread B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCD said:

I really do like the models Kyosho produced during this era, and there is a *lot* of it to be sure, :blink: but it's so poorly documented the entire lineup has an almost mythological feel to it

Yeah, totally agree there.

I unfortunately don't have the 1981 Kyosho catalogue, which explains why I got the year wrong on the Sand Skipper and Hilux.  The trouble is, all the Kyosho catalogues difficult to find. The 1985 one is hard to find, and can fetch over $100 now due to it being packed with "golden era" buggies. But the Kyosho catalogues prior to 1985 are ridiculously rare. It's like they hardly printed any of them. And its not just a case of "they are all in Japan/Japanese". Even in Japan, they are hard to find, and fetch high dollars.

And yet, Kyosho put so much effort into those catalogues. Both the product range and the catalogues themselves. The 1981 catalogue even has all the products flying through space - imagine the cost of that? ;)

Seriously though, I have always felt there is a huge disparity between the Tamiya-focused experience most of us had, and the fact that Kyosho and others (in many cases) made kits of equal-but-different quality. Yet many people refuse to recognize this, and fail to really embrace the amazing the models found among non-Tamiya vintage R/C, usually on the grounds that "I never saw them when I was growing up".  Well, there's no excuse anymore - we have the Internet! :) More people should be like @mongoose1983 and try to (slowly) restore some of these exotic non-Tamiya vintage models.

Take one look at those early Kyosho catalogues, and see all the incredible stuff - even accessories on offer. Truly a wonderful history to explore. But so much of it so rare and/or expensive to find now. It's like an archaeological expedition to find lost riches.

A few years ago, I set myself the goal of owning a mint Kyosho Volkswagen Baja Bug. A ridiculous goal :blink::wacko:

At first I found a used boxed example, which I started to restore, then later sold. Later I got extremely lucky and found a NIB one. I've decided that this can never be built. I have been waiting about 5 years now to see another one appear on any markets, and so far nothing has appeared anywhere. The longer this goes on, the more I wonder... could mine be the last NIB example left...

On the other hand, someone contacted me through my website last night offering me a used Baja Bug. It's missing a couple of parts, but isn't bad. A good starting point for anyone interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OCD said:

this is an excellent resource, thank you kindly!

not sure if there's better links out there, but here you can find some catalog scans uploaded by Tamiyaclub member Richytanimal:

I really do like the models Kyosho produced during this era, and there is a *lot* of it to be sure, :blink: but it's so poorly documented the entire lineup has an almost mythological feel to it :lol:

out of curiosity, how dry are they? are they visibly cracking? or do they just feel dry? There might be a way to restore it if they're not too far gone?

Subscribing to this thread B)

I've just opened a specific thread so we can discuss the "mythical" era of Kyosho RC vehicles: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87192-the-kyosho-pre-1985-info-pics-thread/ :)

The tires of the Honda are good. The rear tires of the Toyota Hilux are torn. They only stand up because of some foam inside. Now the front ones are just like new. I'll work the truck sometime the next few days so I'll be able to show some pictures of the chassis.

• Thanks 1

A lil work done to the Hilux today :)

Soap and toothbrush helped lots.

fNcGYft.jpg

Rebuild, and now all clean.

uddhLb4.jpg

I have to correct some issue with the axle, but now all dirt, rust, and excess of grease is all gone. And the rear tires, oh I do have to glue and patch them to make them useable again. Finding replacement tires for these vehicles seems very complicated days like these. Fortunately the front tires are in great shape.

Also, I am in the process of finding my way to replace the front support part. I'm about to make a deal with a mate from the UK for a replacement. Hopefully that will work :)

You all have a good Thursday! :)

• Like 3