Sign in to follow this  
CLS2086

Identify Tamiya NItro / Glow Engines

Hello,

As I received some TGX, I'm seeking for Engine identifications.

How can I can I recognize the difference between  a FS12-LT / FS12-SD / FS12-SS....

And the same about OPS-15 / OPS-15-VR / FS15-SS/ FS15-R / FS15-LT ?

For exemple, I got 1x OPS mark on a side and 15 mark on the other,   and the other engine got a FS12 on the recoil started and a 12 mark on it...

I've seek a bit on the manuals I found over the net, and saw differences in carburetors, top cylinder head, and exhaust manifold, very few differences about the "case" itself.

Thanks for you help.

Only just seen this post, apologies. 

Firstly the prefix on the engine name denotes side or rear exit on the exhaust, FR = rear, FS = side. FS-12LT is visually similar to the FS-15 and the FS-15LT fitted to early cars like the TR-15t, TG10's and Mad Bison etc. The FS-12 usually has 12 in black ink on the side casing opposite the Tamiya logo. That does wear off though. The FS-12LT recoil is gray, the FS-15LT recoil is black. They both should have labels on the recoils but they do drop off. Other than that you need to strip them to measure internal components.

The OPS engines used in the TGX range are extensively the same engine. The only difference is the inclusion of the fan system on the Calsonic Skyline and the parts to include it. That engine is unique to the kit not being used on anything else. If you have one it will have a large plastic fan shroud up the side of the heatsink head. The other OPS engine used in Tamiya kits was the earlier OPS 3.5cc used in the BMT kits. This is physically very different as has a square shaped carb.

The OPS engines in the TGX kits have a silver recoil case and a blue pull start handle. The part numbers are either OPS numbers with a T in front or 7 digit Tamiya numbers.

The CX-12 Novarossi engine was used in the TGX and TG10 kits only. I have eamples of both in my showroom. It was a C-12 Novarossi engine made in collaboration with Tamiya. It has the Tamiya logo on the case and a red/burgundy heatsink head. The case and heatsink are all that is unique from any other C-12 engine the rest is pure Novarossi C-12. The head and case are almost impossible to get. I have 6 CX-12 and have never seen a new case or head for sale anywhere.

In general the configuration of carn and exhaust exit will make any Tamiya engine easy to track down.

I have one of every Tamiya engine made more or less and all the part numbers etc so shout if I can help with anything.